April 20, 2024, 04:14:23 AM

News:

Oil pump priming with a bagger trans.

Started by farmall, June 04, 2016, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmall

I'd laid my FXR on its side to weld crossmember mounts after installing a bagger transmission and when I set the bike upright the pump had lost prime. The usual methods of pulling the tappet screen, check valve cap etc and pumping oil into them weren't working, perhaps due to an air bubble, so I put a boot on the oil filler cap and gave the tank vent hose a burp of compressed air. It worked beautifully.

Warning! Turn your air pressure WAY down as this can shoot the check valve ball out of the pump. I laid a rag over the hole because I expected it to spray a bit. Of course I brain-farted and didn't use air from my regulated port but the rag did its job.

It only takes a few psi to move oil. You could do it with a bicycle pump which I have and will probably use next time.  :oil:

flhs90

August 14, 2022, 04:42:13 AM #1 Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:44:51 AM by flhs90 Reason: Spelling
Quote from: farmall on June 04, 2016, 03:09:04 PMI'd laid my FXR on its side to weld crossmember mounts after installing a bagger transmission and when I set the bike upright the pump had lost prime. The usual methods of pulling the tappet screen, check valve cap etc and pumping oil into them weren't working, perhaps due to an air bubble, so I put a boot on the oil filler cap and gave the tank vent hose a burp of compressed air. It worked beautifully.

Warning! Turn your air pressure WAY down as this can shoot the check valve ball out of the pump. I laid a rag over the hole because I expected it to spray a bit. Of course I brain-farted and didn't use air from my regulated port but the rag did its job.

It only takes a few psi to move oil. You could do it with a bicycle pump which I have and will probably use next time.  :oil:

Just yesterday I had to use the search button as my oil light did not go off.
I was thinkingbI would havec to redo my oil pump r and r all over again. Now that was some tedious work with the 2 keys, keways, drive gears and shaft wanting to move inboard. My third hand was a half of highway bar foot peg mount. That kept shaft from moving inboard to  get c clip on, another challenge. With the tappet screen out and the check valve out, pouring oil in those holes and gravity did the job. Next crank with plugs out oil gushing. Hope this saves someone else.
Whew.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

flhs90

:oil:
Gotta have it and the idiot light.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon