May 08, 2024, 03:25:55 AM

News:

SERT ISSUE??

Started by kristian, June 13, 2016, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kristian

Well im basically stuck, ive got a sert 4.6.2 version, which was bought new when the 2006 bike, when new, had new true dual exhaust and SE a/c, i have loaded the sert program into a win7 machine and everything works like it should with one prob.  It hangs at 20-40% when trying to load a new map into the ecm.  I received some great advice from a member here and id like to thank him again, suggested try to use another usb to serial adaptor, of which i have bought 5 diff cables and all seem to have the same issue.  I tried to find the belkin brand, and have come to find that the only thing about it is its FTDI chipset, others having prolific chips that seem to have issues.  I went as far a purchasing a true FTDI cable and there drivers and like i said, works the same as the prolific.  I can do live recording while the bike runs, i can retrieve all of the ecm's info, my vin is there, ecm part#, and cal id, only thing different is my cal id is one(1) number off the map files i.d #, eg.  my file, which is a map included in the 2007 SERT is and comes up as 141NR004-000 when i load it, the map thats in the ecm comes up as 141NR004-002??  i cannot find this map and beleive it to be a dealer "thing", so theres the mismatch.  While trying to write a new map, its stop and give me the error, cannot access ecm, contact your local he dealership for assistance.  Is this ecm somehow locked because the file im trying to load isnt the same as whats on there, i dont understand, why would that matter, if im going to overwrite it, why cant i, why cant i access the ecm?? im running windows 7, oldest machine i can find, no one has an old machine that has a true serial plug, id dont think this is the issue, do i have to take this bike in to the dealer?  what are they going to do,  i spoke to the service manager and he hasnt used a sert in years, im at my wits end with this hiccup, ive gone and renamed the file so its identical to whats on the ecm and it still comes up with the same numbers as above and wont allow me acces to program.  ANy help would be appreciated, thanks to everyone for advice/info.
Kris

Tsani

Some of the adapters were iffy at best. I ran mine on a Win 7 with USB ports using a adapter. I will look and see if I can find in the garage.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

kristian

Quote from: Tsani on June 13, 2016, 10:02:55 PM
Some of the adapters were iffy at best. I ran mine on a Win 7 with USB ports using a adapter. I will look and see if I can find in the garage.

thanks Tsani, i dont know what im doing wrong here, baud rates ive changed, buffering on/off, the closest dealer is closed by the time im off work and he's the one who said they havnt used a sert in years!!!
Kris

Hogflash

FYI, last I knew all the Belkin interfaces used Prolific chips, and the drivers for such are problematic. Unless you have plugged the interface into the PC and then verified the drivers assigned are FTDI!

If the interface is indeed FTDI, then you probably have an issue with the handshake line in the serial cable between the USB adapter and the SERT.  Or, the SERT has a bad pin in its connector!

99% of the time the problem is the chipset in the USB-to-serial adapter though.  Needs to be FTDI.

Gary

Tsani

I have two cables here that I am not using since I upgraded to the blue VCI.One is 16 inches long, gray colored, DYNEX DX-UBDB9
Drivers and manual can be downloaded here:   http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/cables-cords-adapters/DX-UBDB9.html#supportTab

I also have a five foot one, clear coated silver braided. I think that one cam e from TTS. You can get the drivers at the TTS site.

If I remember right, I used the Dynes until I got a windows 7 netbook. It was fine on XP but I had issues occasionally on 7. Finally got exasperated with it and got the TTS cable and worked like a champ.

Your welcome to try em. PM me your address and I will send them your way. I don't anticipate having to use the Black VCI. I only used it to troubleshoot and I can use my blue for that as well. Originally is was a SERT, and I had it upgraded when TTS split their product off.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

kristian

Quote from: Rufus on June 14, 2016, 10:14:15 AM
FYI, last I knew all the Belkin interfaces used Prolific chips, and the drivers for such are problematic. Unless you have plugged the interface into the PC and then verified the drivers assigned are FTDI!

If the interface is indeed FTDI, then you probably have an issue with the handshake line in the serial cable between the USB adapter and the SERT.  Or, the SERT has a bad pin in its connector!

99% of the time the problem is the chipset in the USB-to-serial adapter though.  Needs to be FTDI.

Gary

Gary, i believe also that it need to be the FTDI chipset, however, im not able to program with 2 FTDI cables i have, can do everything else, but at around 20-40% of a re-map.  access to ecm unavailable, contact your local dealer??  go figure!!  its something on my part here, will keep at it, thanks for your post!

Quote from: Tsani on June 14, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
I have two cables here that I am not using since I upgraded to the blue VCI.One is 16 inches long, gray colored, DYNEX DX-UBDB9
Drivers and manual can be downloaded here:   http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/cables-cords-adapters/DX-UBDB9.html#supportTab

I also have a five foot one, clear coated silver braided. I think that one cam e from TTS. You can get the drivers at the TTS site.

If I remember right, I used the Dynes until I got a windows 7 netbook. It was fine on XP but I had issues occasionally on 7. Finally got exasperated with it and got the TTS cable and worked like a champ.

Your welcome to try em. PM me your address and I will send them your way. I don't anticipate having to use the Black VCI. I only used it to troubleshoot and I can use my blue for that as well. Originally is was a SERT, and I had it upgraded when TTS split their product off.

thanks Tsani, i had a look at the drivers for the dynex cable you posted, and they are prolific drivers making it a prolific chipset, ive gone through 3 prolific cables without success here, im gonna hold off for a bit until i get this sorted out, something is wrong with my configuration.  thanks for offering, ill keep it mind and maybe bug yah later if i have no luck.  ill post a new reply to this thread as to what i found out today.  thanks to both of you for you input.
Kris

kristian

i stopped today with my cables, sert and cd into a local indie, no adaptor just the cables from computer and the bikes cable, pulled the side cover off and plugged her up and straight serial into his shop xp laptop, he had sert program already i just threw my cd in for the files, commucation was instant, as with me and my adaptor, chose file and went to program ecm, read the ecm....etc.  Hit the program ecm and away it went, no hang ups, full upload to the ecm.  So, its a software/hardware issue here for me, gotta find some old hardware that has serial ports and older operating system.  thanks to everyone for all the info. 
Kris

Tsani

The cable you used at his shop was serial to USB?
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

FSG

what version of sert was the shop using?

kristian

Quote from: Tsani on June 14, 2016, 08:56:18 PM
The cable you used at his shop was serial to USB?

no, straight serial from his computer to sert to bike.  so i know communication is good.

Quote from: FSG on June 14, 2016, 11:24:03 PM
what version of sert was the shop using?

I thought of that on my ride home, not sure??  i do know he had to put in my software cd which is 4.6.2 to see the map i had in the ecm and see it on the cd, if that makes sense.  i will find out next time im over there, i dug out an old desktop that had linux on it, done a format c and installed xp, this unit has a serial port and i installed the sert software, check it out later today. 
Kris

HV

I think the last ( Latest Version ) was 4.7.7
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

strokerjlk

Quote from: HV on June 15, 2016, 03:40:29 AM
yes.
I had the same problem trying to get a old 4.6.2 cal to work using 4.6.2 software .
I ended up using 4.7.7 and starting all over on the tune,with a cal from that software.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

kristian

Quote from: strokerjlk on June 15, 2016, 07:07:06 AM
Quote from: HV on June 15, 2016, 03:40:29 AM
yes.
I had the same problem trying to get a old 4.6.2 cal to work using 4.6.2 software .
I ended up using 4.7.7 and starting all over on the tune,with a cal from that software.

Does anyone know where i can get the 4.7.7 version??  Illl call the dealer today to see if its available, but i cant find a part#, mine is 32107-01G, as its labelled on the box, 05/30/07 date.  Thanks!!
Kris

rigidthumper

Look for a CD labeled 32117-01N. That's the last version (4.7.7) that HD used with the old SERT.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kristian

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 15, 2016, 10:07:07 AM
Look for a CD labeled 32117-01N. That's the last version (4.7.7) that HD used with the old SERT.

thanks rt, i scored 4.7.7.  ill try mine and see what happens with my new setup and try the 477 if no luck.  thanks again to all
Kris

kristian

UPDATE: 

if anyone cares, after trying all sorts of things that i stated above, nothing worked.  got out an old desktop computer, loaded with winxp and loaded sert program.  everything works flawlessly!!!  no issues, full access to ecm, running 4.6.2 in an 06 ultra.  this is my story.  thanks for all the help and suggestions to everyone above!
Kris

rigidthumper

So if we have/use an old SERT, we need to keep an old computer around. Good to know!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HV

I know 4.7.7 works on Windows 7 ...havent tried it yet on W10 though
Skype HV.HTT

kristian

Quote from: HV on June 17, 2016, 03:04:02 AM
I know 4.7.7 works on Windows 7 ...havent tried it yet on W10 though

HV, are you using a usb adaptor or does your machine have a serial connection?  i was spending way to much time chasing my tail as it turned out and just went "old school".  i got 4.6.2 to work on an old desktop like a champ that i resurrected and am not going to fiddle with a anything right now.  thanks for the info.

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 16, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
So if we have/use an old SERT, we need to keep an old computer around. Good to know!

rt, im just saying what i ended up doing, between the several adaptors and time wasted, it was easier to go the route i ended up with.  im sure the new units/tuners are all capable of working backwards.  thanks.
Kris

HV

My Lap Top has a Serial Port....the SERT does not play well with adapters   :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

kristian

Quote from: HV on June 17, 2016, 01:28:57 PM
My Lap Top has a Serial Port....the SERT does not play well with adapters   :wink:

how much for your laptop?? :beer: :beer:   "the SERT does not play well with adapters", dont i know it!!  :emoGroan:
Kris

strokerjlk

sert works fine with my Belkin USB adapter  :nix:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory