April 26, 2024, 02:07:58 AM

News:

'09 Cam plate in '05

Started by Tireman, July 02, 2016, 03:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tireman

July 02, 2016, 03:37:36 AM Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:43:18 AM by Tireman
Question, is there any way to convert an '09 A motor cam plate, tensioners, cams to be used in an 05 A motor? Buddy of mine needs some parts and since I went to gear drive I have everything left over. I think the cam journals in the case are different though.  TIA
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

machinist

you can do it, but "conversion" cams are requred
"it was a black bike officer"

harley_cruiser

Yes this is an excellent upgrade.
Here is the link, click on conversation cams and it will give you a list of what you need.
http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/catalog_pdfs/2014-page5.pdf

Tireman

Thanks guys I was hoping this would be the case. HTT to the rescue once again!!

prodrag1320

very nice upgrade,done quite a bit of them.anything to get rid of the 99-06 tensioners is a good thing

Tireman

Are there any other companies other than Andrews that have the conversion cams

wolf_59

July 02, 2016, 07:34:06 AM #6 Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:40:13 AM by wolf_59
Harley makes the new style cam plate, oil pump and tensioners that does not require conversion cams

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-hydraulic-tensioner---oil-pump-upgrade

harley_cruiser

Quote from: wolf_59 on July 02, 2016, 07:34:06 AM
Harley makes the new style cam plate, oil pump and tensioners that does not require conversion cams

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/se-hydraulic-tensioner---oil-pump-upgrade
That is the hybrid kit, it uses the old inner chain instead of the roller chain designed for the hydraulic tentioners.
I ran that kit for probably fifty k and had problems with the old style chain wearing out the inner tentioner.
I know most guys are not having problems with it but would not recommend it.
To me the 07+ plate is the way to go with the conversion cams.

Dogbone45ACP

The small end of a late model cam can be machined down. With a race pressed on to be used with the early cases.

smoserx1

QuoteAre there any other companies other than Andrews that have the conversion cams

Not sure but I believe Wood, T-Man and Kuryakyn have all made conversion cams in the past, and Andrews certainly continues to do so.  At one time several companies were offering "kits" which consisted of an 07 style cam plate, roller chains etc. but I believe now you must get all that stuff separately.  That is  what I did, even though kits were available when I did my conversion.  I went with Andrews 21N conversion cams and have been very happy.  Have about 35K on them now.

Yes Harley does offer the "hybrid" kit in which you can reuse your old cams and must use your old inside chain (or a new one just like it).  The hybrid plate must have bearings pressed in just like the old plates did.  When I did my conversion my inner chain had stretched very badly and I would not have used it again even if I had chosen the hybrid kit (which I am not sure was even available then). With the true conversion cams, no cam plate pressing is required, and what you will save on tools will pretty much pay for a set of cams.  You should still upgrade your inside bearings (those in the engine case) to full complement type bearings (Torrington/Timken/Koyo B148 type).

speedzter

The range of conversion Cams has dried up a little.
Tman and Kury' are out.
Pretty sure this is the current list of suppliers:

Andrews
Wood
Fueling

Tireman

Quote from: Dogbone45ACP on July 02, 2016, 11:52:40 AM
The small end of a late model cam can be machined down. With a race pressed on to be used with the early cases.
I have several sets of stock 96" cams. So I could machine the case side of the cam down to the smaller size and use those? Really!

SP33DY

QuoteI have several sets of stock 96" cams. So I could machine the case side of the cam down to the smaller size and use those? Really!

I would not recommend doing that. The hard case in the bearing area probably isn't deep enough. Something I have done is machine TC 88 cases ti fit TC 96 inner cam bearings. That way I can use any late model components, not restricted to "conversion" cams.

Dogbone45ACP

When the inboard cam race is machined down, a hard race must be pressed on. Randy at Hyperfomance can do this.

FSG

If using the '07 cam plate, oil pump and cams in a '99 - '06 TC then the inner journal of the cam needs to be machined (lathe & ground) down to accept a Torrington IRA-10 Race as it's sized to work perfect with the B-148.

Making conversion cams

Tireman

Quote from: FSG on July 04, 2016, 12:02:49 AM
If using the '07 cam plate, oil pump and cams in a '99 - '06 TC then the inner journal of the cam needs to be machined (lathe & ground) down to accept a Torrington IRA-10 Race as it's sized to work perfect with the B-148.

Making conversion cams

Perfect.....thank you

SP33DY

Quotecam needs to be machined (lathe & ground) down to accept a Torrington IRA-10 Race as it's sized to work perfect with the B-148.

Very good solution! Thanks FSG! I had not seen that before. It's always nice to learn something new.

dave brode

FSG,
"making conversion cams" link does not work. Can you help?
Thanks.
Dave

Ohio HD

Deye76

If going to the effort of machining cases, why not get a Darkhorse assembly and go gear drive cams. Those parts along with the OE plate/pump went over 80,000 miles in my 113" TC, and still going when I sold the bike.  I get it might be more dollars, but over time the rewards justify the cost IMO.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

dave brode

Don D

Quote from: Deye76 on January 05, 2020, 08:23:33 AM
If going to the effort of machining cases, why not get a Darkhorse assembly and go gear drive cams. Those parts along with the OE plate/pump went over 80,000 miles in my 113" TC, and still going when I sold the bike.  I get it might be more dollars, but over time the rewards justify the cost IMO.
Or just bore the cases for late bearings. Done here all the time. I fitted the cams years ago but opening up the cases, if there is the opportunity is a sanitary solution.

PoorUB

Yep, if you have the engine out for a crankshaft, then bore the inner cam bearings out and run the later cams. Opens up a whole new world of cam options.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

TorQuePimp

I've had hyperformance convert several cams for this very purpose

rageglide

http://hyperformancemotorcycle.com/services/

Randy converts in both directions, older to new and newer to old.

Put another way, if you like your current cam he sleeve the outer bearing surface to work with the bearing-less cam plate.  Or purchase the cam you want for pre-07 engine and mod it.   A few ways to skin the cat.

Quote from: TorQuePimp on January 05, 2020, 04:58:17 PM
I've had hyperformance convert several cams for this very purpose

Is this a stock 88"? I used a plate and pump from an 09 in my 05 ultra with Andrews 48n cams and bored the cylinders to 95". The 05 springs can support the lift... tts also sells their tts100 conversion cam. Have not yet seen that in an 88 or 95/98" build  :potstir: