March 29, 2024, 03:15:14 AM

News:

1972 XLCH and dual edelbrock quicksilver carbs

Started by ethan, July 05, 2016, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan

Hi.

I'll start off with letting you all know I'm an idiot.

I'm building a bike with a brand new set of edelbrock quicksilver carbs. They were made for evo's. I'm putting it on an ironhead. which means I need to make a custom intake manifold. I doubt anyone has seen/done this, but prove me wrong.

Here's a pic. Anyone has any ideas/opinions fire away. Thanks

Dogbone45ACP

Do you have the Evo manifold ? If so adapt it to a aluminum S&S manifold for the iron head.

ethan

Well thats a good idea. I don't have one, but someone on the interwebs might. And that would be whole hell of a lot easier than my plan of cutting and welding aluminum tubing of some sort to some machined up plate.

garyajaz

July 05, 2016, 05:48:33 PM #3 Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:52:53 PM by garyajaz
looks good.
been done lots.
sudco make manifold used miks
branch made one.
several others.
I had a S&S dual throat.
it runs better with a single L.
twin carbs sure do look good.

you DO have a electric start right?

*just enlarged it.
no electric foot.
sorry

ethan

Good news thanks, but yea... It's a kicker. Before I tore it down it kicked on in 1-2 kicks. So I guess tuning might be a son of a bitch but once it's tuned it should be good? Hmm

garyajaz

no...lol...
they LOOK good.
and sudco used 36 (I think ) mm carbs.
those you have look much bigger.
what is venture size?
do you have huge cubic inch engine?
I think you just gonna drown that poor ol iron.

y2kflhr

keep us posted with pics! my first HD was a 72 xlch, I loved that bike till the tranny exploded and took out the cases!

Burnout

July 06, 2016, 10:07:10 AM #7 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:09:54 AM by Burnout
Not on my bike. You will need a crew with you everywhere you go to push start it!

Very few will give those carbs a thumbs up.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Its going to run like "Potty mouth". There is a reason the various dual carb, long runner systems are available for cheap on eBay and why they are never seen on any successful race bikes in any long runner form.

I went down this path in the 90's. Looked cool, people thought it was fast. Truth is that shovel made more power and was much easier to ride with a single CV carb.

Now, whenever I see one of those setups the first thought that comes to mind is either newby or poser.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JW113

Along those lines, a "sort of" pal has a shovelhead with a turbo-charger hung off the side of it. If you google Syd DeSoto and Magic Pan, you can see the turbo. Syd transferred it to a shovelhead, which my "sort of" pal has now. And yes, it looks wicked cool, hard core, something that if it pulled up along side of you at a stop light, you'd maybe give second thought to messing with. And yes, sadly, it runs like  :turd:. And yes, good luck getting it started. Line a bunch of pals up to have a macho contest to see who can kick start it, and after they're all proven to be limpdicks, grab on and push.

No thanks!

By the way, I have a Weber/Zenith two throat manifold for Ironhead along with two Zenith twin side draft carbs, in case anybody is looking...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

ethan

OK, yea....

too much carb for too little engine. maybe if i get a big twin and get bored i'll fuck with those. S&S Super E and no worries sounds like more fun to me.

Anyways thanks for the input.

Racepres

Quote from: ethan on July 08, 2016, 11:57:23 AM
OK, yea....

too much carb for too little engine. maybe if i get a big twin and get bored i'll "potty mouth! " with those. S&S Super E and no worries sounds like more fun to me.

What could possibly be wrong with the Original Bendix??? even a Ka-sneeze?? S&S on Ironhead...No Thanks...

turboprop

Quote from: ethan on July 08, 2016, 11:57:23 AM
OK, yea....

too much carb for too little engine. maybe if i get a big twin and get bored i'll "potty mouth! " with those. S&S Super E and no worries sounds like more fun to me.

If you are not already in possession of a Super E, take a look at running a CV carb from any harley (Evo BT, XL and TC). There are lots of ways to adapt them to an iron head manifold. These carbs are becoming more and more popular with the Shovel and ironhead crowd. They can be had for about $100.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tmwmoose

Its the wow factor I get it so when you find your manifold glue a golf ball in one of the runners and only you and your hair dresser will know :nix:

garyajaz

wow factor...yep. twin carbs are that.
not too off from your golf ball idea
I saw a evo or shovel years ago with two dual webers.
one out each side.
huh? single ones barely worked.
when asked guy said he paid some where near $1000 for the manifold alone.
then he blocked the left side carb off altogether.
what he had then was a set of dummy webers hanging off side of bike waiting for parking lot fall to wipe out another grand.
oh well. looked cool.
ran like crap.

then there is this guy

tmwmoose

Quote from: garyajaz on July 19, 2016, 09:30:46 AM
wow factor...yep. twin carbs are that.
not too off from your golf ball idea
I saw a evo or shovel years ago with two dual webers.
one out each side.
huh? single ones barely worked.
when asked guy said he paid some where near $1000 for the manifold alone.
then he blocked the left side carb off altogether.
what he had then was a set of dummy webers hanging off side of bike waiting for parking lot fall to wipe out another grand.
oh well. looked cool.
ran like crap.

then there is this guy

Cool does it use a out board throttle to open those?

Pete_Vit

:smiled: - reminds me of a local Indy here years ago had an 883 he used as a bar hopper, I think he had like 5 or 6 Thunder-Jet's kits drilled into his CV carb  :wtf:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Carl 1969

My dad ran dual Mikuni smoothbores on his 86" Shovel, but they were only 29mm. Cool looking as hell, but unless yer running a big inch stroker, I'm betting those carbs are gonna be wasted on that engine.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

drifter

Hmmm, I've got four of those 29 mm smooth bore Mics setting in the barn, left over from my Kawasaki 1000, I wonder what they might fit?   :SM:

garyajaz

they will fit a kawa 1000   lol
leave that multi headache off a Harley.

got you iron fired yet?

drifter

Hey Gary,
Made another trip to see Brian, in my research I discovered things like top motor mounts that I picked up and moved several times not knowing what they were.  They were on the shelf, with those aluminum plates mounted between the heads and rocker covers (to keep the shrapnel down in case of explosion(?) or more room for high lift valve springs(?)   :scratch: ) they were not mounted.  Scored the Moco Service Manual that we couldn't find before and other goodies.  Drained the sludge (oil?) from the tank and some oily stuff from the Primary & gear case, nasty.  Still need to clean the gas tank and carb, new gas line, flush oil tank, figure out what battery to get for it, check adjustment on primary chain and lifters, new air filter, then I can turn the key and see what happens.  With the service manual I can get all that stuff done without screwing it up.  Looked at the spare cams, lobe numbers like 1QR, 2QR, 3Q, 4Q, the box they are in has a paper scotch taped to it about "XR Cams for off road only".  The spare cams are used, maybe XR cams inside the engine?  Going to call the Harley shop to get some missing small parts today and will ask them what dimensions the XR pistons part number represent, maybe they know.   
Made some progress on the Pan last night, Drag Spec rear master rebuild kit is wrong, so cleaned and fussed with original parts, assembled, filled and bled, still holding this morning with no leaks.  Now I can install the trans and finish putting the engine together, getting there, but I am the same age as you, just feel it more and am much slower. 

Jako1

Retard timing just a bit so it don't beak your leg?
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud

westcomb

Find a Shovelhead intake it bolts right on a ironhead .......... There are some old dual carb ones to be had that could be made to fit the dual Edelbrocks pretty easy .........

I do know of a guy that run Dual Edlbrocks on a very wild shovelhead build ............ He is very smart and said it ran like "Potty mouth"! (with the edelbrocks!) ......... he could not get it tuned! .... He swapped to a Super D after that! ....... 96" motor made 124 Rear Wheel HP on that same motor with the D ........ That is the most I have seen proof of at the Rear wheel with a shovel under 100 CI  :beer:

I think that's way too much for a ironhead! .......... If your set on duals maybe try the dual round slide carbs from Cycle Exchange??? .......... google it!

JW113

Not that I know one way or the other, because I don't. However, why would two carbs on a manifold that squeezes them into one hole work any better than one carb? More twists and turns in the air path than a single carb too. If they were set up so each carb feeds one cylinder I could see how that might be good. But 2 into 1 into 2? Seems more form over function, but what do I know?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

drifter

In my recent research, if I remember correctly (there has been a lot of it), Harley put one carb on each cylinder on the XR-1000.  Compression, bore and stroke stayed the same but the advertised HP changed from 56 to 70.  You might want to explore what the Moco did to achieve that result.