March 28, 2024, 02:52:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

measuring lifters

Started by wfolarry, March 11, 2016, 03:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfolarry

There have been different posts in the TC section about different lifters & their pros & cons. One of the things mentioned was size irregularities so I decided to do some measuring & see for myself.
The first pics are my lifters.
  [smg id=2682]  [smg id=2683]  [smg id=2684]

These are some popular automotive lifters

[smg id=2688]  [smg id=2692]  [smg id=2694]  [smg id=2695]

For a few $$ more you get a lifter that's held to tighter tolerances & improved oiling to the top end.

BVHOG

Nice, I just mentioned to my buddy yesterday how consistent they were in the Jims test stand for fitment, some of the Delphi style lifters I have tested have been snug at the bottom
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

wfolarry

I made this setup to make it easier to take them apart

[smg id=2705]  [smg id=2710]

laserp

Which lifters are you using Larry?
02 117 Softail/10 Ulta Limited

wfolarry

laserp

S&S right?
Thanks for the data, I'll stick with made in the USA.

wfolarry

Quote from: laserp on March 19, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
S&S right?
Mine are made in the USA. Right here in Michigan. Better make sure yours are.
I was referring to my lifter. I should have said performance. Premium implies S&S.

laserp

Quote from: wfolarry on March 19, 2016, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: laserp on March 19, 2016, 05:22:59 PM
S&S right?
Mine are made in the USA. Right here in Michigan. Better make sure yours are.
I was referring to my lifter. I should have said performance. Premium implies S&S.
I understood yours were US made, based on the quality of OD grind pc to pc size control. On the same page.
I have Woods Night Prowlers in my 117 and the stock ones in my 103 Limited (2010), which I believe are the B's? I am under the assumption they were both "Made in USA"?
I've had no problems with either, with multiple visual inspections over their installed life. I was tempted to replace my B's during a recent cam swap, but they looked great and bled down correctly.

wfolarry

Some are made in USA some are assembled in USA but say Made in USA. Some are made elsewhere. Any of them can go bad or likewise any of them could last a lifetime. From what I've seen of lifter failures it comes down to the body not being able to hold the tolerances. That's why I believe my lifter with the forged body is better because they are able to hold them to tighter tolerances.

Burnout

How do your lifters compare to the "soft fabric" units offered elsewhere?

Do you offer a non-oiling option for shovels?

Should I bore out my Shovel blocks for EVO lifters or use aluminum EVO?

Is a shorter lifter (to help with pushrod angle) a good idea?

Whats your favorite cam for a big bore stroker shovel in a heavy bike (trike)? (EVO?)  :SM:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"