March 28, 2024, 09:54:31 AM

News:

No low beam.......

Started by Panzer, July 20, 2016, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

My son called me for help, he's in Idaho, I'm in Pa.
He said he replaced the headlight, fuze was toast and has no low beam also, tail light works only with break on.

I asked him if he was riding two up which might have rubbed a wire from bike bottoming out.
Also told him to pull tail light and check wiring and under the fender too.
Bike is 2006.

Any suggestions I can relay to him further?

TIA,
Panz
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

Good advice so far. Is there a relay in there somewhere? Unplug the rear fender to try and chase the headlight problem first. Sure seems to be a short causing issues.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Panzer on July 20, 2016, 06:33:52 PM
My son called me for help, he's in Idaho, I'm in Pa.
He said he replaced the headlight, fuze was toast and has no low beam also, tail light works only with break on.

I asked him if he was riding two up which might have rubbed a wire from bike bottoming out.
Also told him to pull tail light and check wiring and under the fender too.
Bike is 2006.

Any suggestions I can relay to him further?

TIA,
Panz
So after the bulb change the fuse doesn't blow now?  Not sure on that year but some have two fuse boxes. It's possible there is one under the airbox cover which he likely found and there could be another under the right inlet by the neck. I'd have to look but I suspect the accy fuse could be the problem also, not just the light fuse. If fuses are good now, then it's like mentioned, possible rub with wire damage in around the seat-rear fender area.  Could be a problem with the wiring in around the neck area. Also check the plug in the back of the instrument module is pushed in and secure. Same old wiring diagnostic as any other bike. Here's an 08 wire diagram that might help tracking it down. Sorry, best I could find for now.
Ron

Panzer

Thx gents, he hs th wiring dia.
Soon as I hear back from him I'll let you know what's going on.

Panz
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hal64hd

The Fuse for the head/tail light for 2006 is under the airbox cover just ahead of the seat, along with the relays.

FSG

QuoteHe said he replaced the headlight, fuze was toast and has no low beam also,

that is confusing   :scratch:   

On a 2006

the 15A Accy Fuse provides power for the Brake Lights

the 15A Light Fuse provides power for the HeadLight, Rear Lic Plate Light and Rear Tail Light

Quotetail light works only with break on.

Probably has a blown Tail Light Bulb, it's a Dual Element Bulb and naturally he'd see the Brake Light Element lit with the Brake on.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Panzer

Good point FSG, hadn't thought about the duel filament.
He said it's to hot to work on it outside, has no garage.
When he does, I'll payout the results.
TIA

rbabos

Tail light bulb doesn't explain lack of low beam.
Ron

Panzer

He hasn't got back to me as yet,must be still hot out there.  :nix:
Hi Hal, and thx for all the replies, I won't let you all hanging.......trust me.  :hyst:

Panzer

Son got back to me tonight.
Found tail light bulb with one bunt filament.
FSG hit it right on this time as per his suggestion.
He tried two halogen headlights and both were bad so he said.
Guess he wanted more light at night.
He reinstalled original headlight and now has both hi & low beam.
All is corrected.
Thanks gents for the feeds.

Question: are the halogen lights bad or not just to be installed on a V=Rod?

FSG

so which 2006 vrod model does he have,

the dual filament single bulb 60/55 Watt Halogen HB2/H4  Part# 68329-03

or  the two individual bulbs

high beam H9  65W Part# 67717-01   

low beam  H11 55W Part# 68881-01