May 09, 2024, 08:47:51 AM

News:

Keep blowing a fuse

Started by brutig, July 19, 2016, 10:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brutig

Hi. Seems everytime I run my 08 flstc every 2nd or 3rd run it will blown the 15 amp accessories fuse. ie no blinkers horn or speedo. Any ideas anyone?  Thanks in advance
A bad day riding is better than a good day at work.

BamBusa

Quote from: brutig on July 19, 2016, 10:29:25 PM
Hi. Seems everytime I run my 08 flstc every 2nd or 3rd run it will blown the 15 amp accessories fuse. ie no blinkers horn or speedo. Any ideas anyone?  Thanks in advance
Check the wires running to the taillight for any breaks, bends or opens.

brutig

Tailight is on the headlight circuit and fuse and works fine.

UltraNutZ

check your right handlebar switch housing to make sure the wires internal are not being pinched

have you done anything whatsoever to the bike in the time frame that this started?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Hossamania

Check the harness at the steering head where it bends back and forth. Check for a short under the rear fender where it may have rubbed or worn.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

brutig

Nope done nothing to the bike just started up outta the blue. Did put an aftermarket horn on it a while back wired directly to battery with its own relay but the problem started a few days back horn has been on for 6 months

UltraNutZ

the accessory fuse as you know controls the stock signal to the stock horn which you redirected to now trigger the relay that powers your horn.  Disconnect the stock horn wire that is feeding the relay and try it out for a couple of days and see if the issue is resolved.  If so, you know it's from the relay to the horn.  If not, then you know it's from that connection point on the relay back through the stock wiring.  or just change the relay which is what I would tend to believe it is after all this time of working fine.  The relay can be had at any auto parts store for about $5
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Tollbooth

Road Zeplin seat? Unplug it or anything connected to that plug.

brutig

Looks like it may have been the wire running to the fender front tip light. It was squashed/mangled at the headset where it runs up the brake cable line. Seems when the whel was on full left lock it was crushing the wire and there were bare wires exposed. So I've cut the damaged wires out and put a proper connecter on it. So far so good.