Early 107 dyno results 81 hp and 99 lb ft.

Started by rich1, August 24, 2016, 05:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

In case you didn't read this in one of the threads. Before people get all upset about those being low numbers for a 107. The typical Indian 111 makes 75 hp and 105 lb ft. So that makes this engine on par with the much loved Indian power plant. And it isn't bad for a stock setup. It isn't a huge step up from the 103 but it is about what I expected it to be. In fact, I told the GM at my dealership that my guess would be 80/100. The average rider will likely be happy with it in stock form. That being said I will give it a couple of years to see what issues pop up.

convert1967

They advertise 111.4 ft-lb (flywheel).  So it's right there where they said.  The 114 is supposed to be 124 at 10.5:1 compression.  The 117 kit for the motor is at 11:1 compression and advertised with up to 24% more power.  Should be a fun ride!

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

PoorUB

I am disappointed too. I can not believe HD does not come out with a 100% water cooled bagger engine that hits  120HP/120ftlbs with a unitized engine and transmission. Think V-Rod, only better.

This Milwaukee 8 is just another Evo/TC variant.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

biggzed

Why would you expect a giant leap forward from a company that has been taking baby steps for basically 100 years? Sure the M8 is a Evo/TC derivative, so has every other engine HD has come out with except the VRod. Touring bikes are their number 1 seller. I'm guessing VRod's a the slowest selling line.

What they did makes perfect sense to me and I think it's a great looking/sounding/performing motor. HD knows what butters their bread and are not about to abandon it on their best selling line of bikes.

Zach

Quote from: PoorUB on August 25, 2016, 02:57:35 PM
I am disappointed too. I can not believe HD does not come out with a 100% water cooled bagger engine that hits  120HP/120ftlbs with a unitized engine and transmission. Think V-Rod, only better.

pddredduece

We are talking about a stock EPA air cooled motor :banghead:

PoorUB

Quote from: pddredduece on August 25, 2016, 03:11:36 PM
We are talking about a stock EPA air cooled motor :banghead:

Well, duh! :banghead:

Ford puts 660HP engines in Mustangs that meet emissions, one would think that HD could build a bagger engine that breaks 100 HP! Plus my post was asking for water cooled!

In this age of tech all we can hope for is some air cooled bagger mill? When the V-Rod came out I was hopping it would not be long for HD to come out with a high HP, water cooled bagger. When the Rushmores came out I was anticipating the next step, full water cooled. I have been unimpressed for quite a few years.

glens

Quote from: PoorUB on August 25, 2016, 04:18:29 PM
I have been unimpressed for quite a few years.

That's because you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  Me, I like to keep the bar low...

CowboyTutt

I understand what UB wants, but most of Harley's customers don't want a fully liquid cooled engine, at least not one that LOOKS like it is. 

I don't want a fully LQ engine myself really, but I'm more old school Harley even though I have only owned my current 09 Dyna.  I'll stick with hot-rodding TC engines, thanks.   :up:  -Tutt 

Tattoo

I have a hot rod EVO FXR and a 124" Twin Cam and they both have carburetors on them. No liquid cool for me either unless Im on a Goldwing.

CowboyTutt

Yeah, me too.  Although I respect that 1800cc motor Gold Wing!  I have done a road trip with a guy two up with his wife, and she was no "light weight" to be sure, and yet that motor moved out quite well. 

Its just that, while the Gold Wing motor actually sounds pretty good with a pipe, it's not what I want. 

From the very first day I test rode a 1250 SE V-Rod at my local dealer, and compared it to the 08 I think it would be TC, I found the TC engine more engauging.  My last bike was a 98 Suzuki 'Busa that I had for 6 years, and you would logically think the V-Rod would have been the next logical step for me.  But it left me cold.  It was a dog. It neither made good low end, or top end HP, and the suspension was so stiff, I couldn't even see as my head was bouncing around so much on the expansion joint here in Ukiah at the time.

The TQ charisteristics of the Twin Cam, was much more entertaining. 

I ordered up 09 Dyna FXDB in Denim Blue.  My dealer uh, I don't know how to describe it, but they pulled every card to get one delivered to them, and it arrived in February. 

Even bone stock, its been the best "sport cruiser" I have ever had.  And what it lacked in HP, the TQ would squirt me out the other side. 

Don't even get me started on the 103 upgrades, and 107 upgrades. 

Really fine street bike for all reasons, day trips, and sport touring.

Last bike I will every own.

Regards

-Tutt 

CVOThunder

I hear ya PUB, been wondering when that day will come as well. Still have my 96 GL 1500 for those rare times I want to ride it (2013 comes to mind) so I'm used to water cooling. Not sure if the HD water cooling methods work out though. I guess the water pump works pretty well on the V-Rod but seeing where people are having issues with the Twin-cooled pumps. Think HD is missing the mark by not building a machine that would pull in riders from Honda and BMW.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

omega1

Sure I would also like 100 hp, but for the purposes of a touring bike this motor will easily cruise at any sane speed. In fact I never really felt that the TC was too weak for the job.

However what I would like are:
Monoshock rear suspension with at least 4" of travel and adjustable for comp and rebound damping
Solid mount engine to stiffen the entire bike
Scrap the reverse triple tree
Fully adjustable front suspension
Rider modes with traction control

Perhaps with the rumoured new frame next year some of these items will materialize.

tomcat64

V-Rod,, so successful that the last ones will be built in Oct of this year... I guess my 2003 will be a collectors item!

hotbo

August 26, 2016, 06:35:02 AM #14 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:39:34 AM by hotbo
Milwaukee 8 makes me cringe every time i say it,lol!!!
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

spook

Just visited the local dealer yesterday.  Took a short test ride on a 107 street glide special.  The bike in stock form is a nice ride that will satisfy 90% of the potential purchasers.  Sure, HD could have made it a bigger, better, faster, lighter but you know what?  They did not have to.  They will sell the crap out of these new platforms...Supposedly S&S just bought two new bikes as soon as they were off the transport.  Aftermarket support for this motor will be rapid and good.  I was impressed by the new motor, the suspension upgrades and the general feel of the bike...and put a deposit on a new ride.  Is it perfect?  No, but it is still the best bike for its intended purposes.  Good for Mother Harley! 

Tattoo

:agree:   and no matter what HD makes you will have some haters that could have designed a better bike. :wink:

hotbo

Quote from: Tattoo on August 26, 2016, 06:57:31 AM
:agree:   and no matter what HD makes you will have some haters that could have designed a better bike. :wink:

yeah like some trying to turn them into a full jap bike   :doh: why its a Harley! i say good for them 2  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

BVHOG

I think it's great what they have done, as far as engineering I feel it was a half assed effort. What I like is the fact that just like the earlier models there will be plenty of aftermarket support and more than enough room for improvement and some decent parts available from the moco to mod the bike to your own personal liking.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

PoorUB

Quote from: tomcat64 on August 26, 2016, 06:09:43 AM

V-Rod,, so successful that the last ones will be built in Oct of this year... I guess my 2003 will be a collectors item!

No chit! They are dropping the V-Rod?!

Hybredhog

Quote from: PoorUB on August 26, 2016, 08:18:10 AM
Quote from: tomcat64 on August 26, 2016, 06:09:43 AM

No chit! They are dropping the V-Rod?!

Doesn't surprise me, most dealers don't want anything to do with them, (AKA Buell). Now all the have to do is find something to do with the WEErods, like bolt them up on one of those carnival turn table rides.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

PoorUB

I though they sold fairly well over seas, maybe not good enough.

glens

Quote from: hotbo on August 26, 2016, 06:35:02 AM
Milwaukee 8 makes me cringe every time i say it,lol!!!

Just say "Mate", like a good Aussie buddy would :)

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on August 26, 2016, 09:56:48 AM
They do. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not happy with their v rods, for their intended purpose. me included. Based on the newest 107-117 engines, they have done some nice stuff but still behind the curve compared to the Revotution. Price is what kept sales down. Let's face it, you can buy two metrics with decent quality for the price of one vrod that will do the same job. To many, quality and saving  money is more important then the name Harley Davidson. Something the marketing dept failed to see.
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on August 26, 2016, 10:13:17 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 26, 2016, 09:56:48 AM
They do. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not happy with their v rods, for their intended purpose. me included. Based on the newest 107-117 engines, they have done some nice stuff but still behind the curve compared to the Revotution. Price is what kept sales down. Let's face it, you can buy two metrics with decent quality for the price of one vrod that will do the same job. To many, quality and saving  money is more important then the name Harley Davidson. Something the marketing dept failed to see.
Ron

I know what you mean. I considered buying a Gold Wing instead of my 2016 Limited. You can find carry over Gold Wings all over for about $20,000. Makes paying $28K for a Limited seems like a screw job, but we just keep on paying. :banghead: