May 01, 2024, 04:36:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

So how do you like these cam specs

Started by BVHOG, August 24, 2016, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

Going to be a learning curve with the new bikes for sure.

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Princess Butt

I'm guessing about 6 to 8 months for the first aftermarket cams to show up. They certainly won't need the duration of the two valve heads. With 4 valves, they can open them less with shorter duration and still move a lot of air.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

biggzed

Much lower lift and timing numbers than we are used to on TC's for sure. Is that $189.95 price on the left of the page a cam price? That would be nice.

Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleytuner

Quote from: Princess Butt on August 24, 2016, 05:36:30 PM
I'm guessing about 6 to 8 months for the first aftermarket cams to show up. They certainly won't need the duration of the two valve heads. With 4 valves, they can open them less with shorter duration and still move a lot of air.

I know of one aftermarket that will have his prototype in hand Friday. 

CowboyTutt

I saw that too!  Misprint??  -Tutt 

Piston Broke

Why @ .050 instead of .053 like everyone else?

sfmichael

Quote from: Piston Broke on August 24, 2016, 10:16:31 PM
Why @ .050 instead of .053 like everyone else?

Automotive companies have used .050 forever...imo it's the industry standard...just a guess...
Colorado Springs, CO.

KE5RBD

Bikes seem to have lots of torque.  Too smooth idle, but don't think that will change much even with the performance cams.  I attached all the cams listed on the above sheets in an excel spreadsheet that has a little more info.  Also included the Rushmore and stock pre Rushmore cam for comparison. Check out the overlap numbers. 
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

Piston Broke

Quote from: sfmichael on August 24, 2016, 10:54:16 PMAutomotive companies have used .050 forever...imo it's the industry standard...just a guess...
I don't suppose it makes that much of a difference for comparisons, but it's strange that they do not adopt the Harley market standard of .053".

Who established that, Jerry Branch was it? Just about everyone but Leinweber uses it.

And just out of interest ... why .053 in the first place?

Thanks.

wfolarry

It was Sifton. I don't remember how the .053 came to be. I think it was a percentage. It's been a while.

PoorUB

-21 degrees of overlap?! Curious to see how this engine pulls at high RPM with no overlap! Looks like a great EPA cam.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

happyman

where do  HQ measure  from. seems they did things a bit different too

Roadraceking

Monster lift on a 4v out of that c cam.

04 SE Deuce

A few years back Ducati reduced the overlap to 11 degrees on their twins,  for all but the full-on sport bike (Panigale).  Now they have variable cam timing that rolls the cams back even more at lower rpms...works well.

Shouldn't be seeing any fog/reversion in the intake tract on these new engines.

Having a single cam might make variable cam timing easier to do but they have no way to adjust only the intake or exhaust,  or intake and exhaust in different directions.

PoorUB

I was surprised with the cams in the Rushmore Twin Cooled with the 12 degrees overlap, then they dump this stock cam with -21 degrees overlap. Seems like a step backwards to me. Go low end torque, but it has to die off at high RPM.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04 SE Deuce

Emissions plus the 4 valve head has changed the game some.

06roadglide

They were saying that the 4 valve pulls about 2-3 bikes on the previous models from 0-60 but about 1-2 0-80.  Must be the top end running out of steam with that over lap letting the Rushmore's reel it back in

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CowboyTutt

QuoteMonster lift on a 4v out of that c cam.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that!  This engine might have some real potential!   :SM:   -Tutt 

mp

Well, if they come out with the air-cooled version in a new rubber tri-mount cruiser with everything I want in a backup bike to my FXRS......  I'll definitely be seeing what Andrews comes up with in a cam for the M8.

Don D

This motor will have some very different requirements than what we are used to. Physical limits plus motor demand vs flow.
We need some heads to get the ball rolling.

happyman

anyone know if the heads have dividers between the ports or is there a pic by chance?
thanks

Bigbluff

Quote from: happyman on August 28, 2016, 07:48:47 PM
anyone know if the heads have dividers between the ports or is there a pic by chance?
thanks

Here's a Cycle World article that has a few pics in it. Not much but it's something:

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-motorcycles-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-engine
In all that time he was riding through the desert he could have named that horse

JamesButler

Yeah, but will it retrofit into an FXR?  :koolaid:

Masterblaster

wondering how much more tq the tq cam adds

harleytuner

Tommy D

Quote from: harleytuner on September 09, 2016, 09:01:04 AM
Quote from: Masterblaster on September 09, 2016, 07:06:58 AM

Here's the results from the stock, both stage II kits and the  stage III kit. 
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dyno-room/1133365-milwaukee-8-testing-14.html

Impressive in two ways... Results, time & effort to those involved
Acts 4:12

harleytuner

Quote from: Tommy D on September 09, 2016, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: harleytuner on September 09, 2016, 09:01:04 AM
Quote from: Masterblaster on September 09, 2016, 07:06:58 AM

Here's the results from the stock, both stage II kits and the  stage III kit. 
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dyno-room/1133365-milwaukee-8-testing-14.html

Impressive in two ways... Results, time & effort to those involved

Impressive indeed. This is just part of what they've been working on.  Some cool stuff coming up for sure.