May 08, 2024, 10:15:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Helmet system options?

Started by SLAATY, June 19, 2016, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLAATY

The Premium Headset that came with our '16 FLHTKL is a first for me, having never tried these before.

The problem, apparently, is my fat head. The speakers protrude enough that even with padding and Velcro fasteners removed they squeeze painfully. I've tried pulling the helmet lining, etc... and nothing helps. The helmet is a recently purchased 3/4 from HD.

Are there thinner ear speakers out there? Any help is appreciated!

RStriler

all helmets have a break in period. to esz this I use a soft kickball. I let the air out shove it into the helmet, put a little air in the ball, just enough to push the foam back a little. this helps to soften up the foam and pushes the breakend period down because its starting to break in with the ball instead of your head. I leave it there about a week then start wearing the helmet. hope this helps
Robert

JohnCA58

June 19, 2016, 06:31:12 PM #2 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:34:38 PM by JohnCA58
I wear hearing aids that are in the ear canal one's,  I relocate the speaker to be in line with my ears better, than I take the 1.5 in. 3M Scotch-Brite gasket cleaning pads that fit on die grinders, remove the linings and grind the foam of the helmet to recess to the point they are comfortable with helmet on.  works great on all my helmets.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MIndustrial/Abrasives/Products/~/Scotch-Brite-Surface-Conditioning-Discs?N=7581642&rt=r3
YOLO

SLAATY

John, I've got some of those in my toolbox. I'd considered what you say but wasn't sure if it would seriously impact helmet integrity. After some research, I think I'll give it a try on an older 3/4.

Thanks

gabbyduffy

Quote from: RStriler on June 19, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
all helmets have a break in period. to esz this I use a soft kickball. I let the air out shove it into the helmet, put a little air in the ball, just enough to push the foam back a little. this helps to soften up the foam and pushes the breakend period down because its starting to break in with the ball instead of your head. I leave it there about a week then start wearing the helmet. hope this helps
Robert
Craziest thing Ive ever heard, you ruin the helmet this way. everybody's head is shaped differently and heads are not shaped like a kick ball, do yourself a favor and break it in on your head?
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

glens

And/or find a make/model that's a better fit from the get-go?

HD/Wrench

My Shoie GT air has cheek pads you can get in different thickness .

Leed

Quote from: gabbyduffy on July 10, 2016, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: RStriler on June 19, 2016, 05:01:15 PM
Robert
Craziest thing Ive ever heard, you ruin the helmet this way. everybody's head is shaped differently and heads are not shaped like a kick ball, do yourself a favor and break it in on your head?

Unless he has a really round head.  I do and that idea might work for me.   :bike:

moose

check with the helmet maker some are made for rounder and some for oblong heads
Moose aka Glenn-

PoorUB

Just remove some of the lining, styrofoam, or padding where you speakers fit. You will not impair the helmet integrity as far as safety is concerned. At least not enough to be concerned about.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!