May 02, 2024, 01:24:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

4 speed to 5 speed to 6 speed to WHY not a 7speed M-8?

Started by Templer, August 29, 2016, 09:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templer

The M-8 has a good hp/tq for a OEM 114ci motor. The lower red line limit would make the use of a 7 speed better . WHY not a 7 speed? I like the spreading out of 1-4 like the DD7 and 5-7 like the 6 speed OD. Are the 7 speeds protected by copy rights?

FLHRI_2004

There was a time I thought 4 speeds were plenty.  But then I'm not a racer where I need to keep the RPMs in the middle of the powerband all the time.
My Ride: Road King

Nastytls

Industry standard is 6 speed. In theory a torque laden engine shouldn't need additional gearing in the same way a high strung peaky engine does ( think 2stroke vs. 4stroke ). 6 gears properly spaced I don't see the need for a 7th gear. Not to mention, HD is notorious for pinching every cent possible and an added gear would cost more money.

twincam8888

5 speed will get you to California, how much further are you going to go? LOL  :scoot:
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Scooterfish

:agree: The motorcycle cannonball is running (1916 and earlier bikes) again this September from east cost to California. My point 3 speeds or less will get there too.  :scoot:
Northern Indiana

mp

If the old five speed was an option on a new bike, that's what I'd get.  No need for a rear wheel compensator to quiet the clatter with that one.

tomcat64

if we keep adding a gear every 10 years where will it end,, 10 speed with a split rear end??

PoorUB

Don't forget the air shift for the splitter.

The six speed, at least to me seems like a good tranny for its intended use. You can run through the gears and easily keep the engine in the torque RPM's. Heck I don't have a problem with the five speed except my left foot was always looking for one more gear.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SP33DY

Quote10 speed with a split rear end

13 Over Road Ranger

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hattitude

Quote from: PoorUB on August 29, 2016, 12:41:13 PM
Heck I don't have a problem with the five speed except my left foot was always looking for one more gear.

After riding my '12 Ultra, I will jump on my '03 Heritage and I guarantee I will shift into 5th twice, several times....  :banghead:

CowboyTutt

A 6 speed "Cruise Drive" is adequate, a 7 speed "Cruise Drive" more like the DD7 would have been a whole lot better and put the performance of the M8 WAY above the TC in any roll on gear performance!!!!  Also, a strong bullet proof Baker "Grudge" 6 speed with slight over-drive like is coming out soon for the Twinkie would also have worked very well.  :up:

Just all of these over-kill for most Harley riders. Way over-kill.  So bean counters killed it. 

Cheers,

-Tutt 

Hossamania

The old Honda CB900 had the six speed with a high/low range, 12 forward gears. Would that take care of you seven speed guys?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

koko3052

Quote from: SP33DY on August 29, 2016, 01:04:07 PM
Quote10 speed with a split rear end

13 Over Road Ranger

13 & a 4....shift with both feet! :wink:

Templer

Seems that the M-8 114 has around 124ft lbs trq. Do not quote me on that but a 7speed with that trq in a bagger 2up might be nice!! Better off the bottom from a stop and up thru the gears and no one yet has commented on the M-8 on the freeways in 6th like the 103/110 tc. This motor M-8 has a 5500 RPM redline/limiter so what will it be like at 65 to 70 in 6th? 7 speed may not help!! Most of us have a 6200 RPM limit.

Phu Cat

If the gears were spaced a little differently I'd like to try the old Evo style 5 speed tranny in my '12 Triglide.  I don't know if the new 6 speed is any stronger than the Evo 5 speed, but the 5 speed was quieter and I think shifted easier.  Most of the time I could get my 5 spd. tranny to shift without the nasty clunk the 6 speed tranny always makes.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Templer

Have been told " as long as the 6speed "clunks" and does not "dump" (think AMCO commercial)it all good" The after market will son or later build a 7 for the M-8.   :idea:

Jaycee1964

The 7 speed will be left for next years " Screamin' Eagle 7 speed upgrade" available for "only" $3500!!!  Coming to a dealer near you!!
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

moscooter

:banghead:
If your ride is a Tour model,  I'm gonna repeat again about what is needed beyond 6 speeds.  IT WOULD BE A REVERSE GEAR....................Way more valuable and necessary than just another forward gear.  We're talkin' close to 900 pound hogs here.   It seems some just don't get it.

Those bastards are just way too heavy................................ :argue:

Templer

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on September 04, 2016, 04:48:43 AM
The 7 speed will be left for next years " Screamin' Eagle 7 speed upgrade" available for "only" $3500!!!  Coming to a dealer near you!!
:up:

HyperDetroit

Quote from: tomcat64 on August 29, 2016, 11:57:23 AM
if we keep adding a gear every 10 years where will it end,, 10 speed with a split rear end??

Right. It's a motorcycle, not a semi pulling a 40 ton payload up the mountain. I think 6 speed is a cure for which there is no known disease. Five speeds was enough.
Всё в руках божьих

Templer

After riding around with a 30 tooth primary gear and shifting at least 1 1/2 MORE then the average person with a 6 speed, My self a 7 wouldn't be bad. Hell I was always looking for 7th anyway!!!! Still  at times looking for 7th, even after a year without it.  :doh: The game changer was/is the next Do Da up from that primary ratio. Maybe like a Chevy? 2 speed or a new Dodge 8 speed auto!

stogieluvr60

Quote from: Templer on August 29, 2016, 08:21:21 PM
Seems that the M-8 114 has around 124ft lbs trq. Do not quote me on that but a 7speed with that trq in a bagger 2up might be nice!! Better off the bottom from a stop and up thru the gears and no one yet has commented on the M-8 on the freeways in 6th like the 103/110 tc. This motor M-8 has a 5500 RPM redline/limiter so what will it be like at 65 to 70 in 6th? 7 speed may not help!! Most of us have a 6200 RPM limit.
I road a 17 Ultra 107 yesterday on I 71 in Ohio for about 20 miles or so...at 75 in 6th, it pulled better than my brothers stg 1 103 10 Ltd....personally, if I owned one, a free flowing exhaust & a/c and a proper tune would do it for me....I have learned my lesson...more is just that...more everything...more money...more trouble...more PITA...I was impressed with it...and the top end was dead quiet...what a treat...although there was this curious whine coming from the primary...with only 287 mi. on the clock when I gave it back to him, I'm guessing the chain adjuster shoe hasn't bedded yet but time will tell if that goes away.

Smarty

Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Moparnut72

As for autos like the 8speed in the Dodges, it is mainly to keep the engine running in it's optimal range to increase fuel mileage to satisfy the gov. My wife's Durango has one and it is nice, but does a Harley need more gears? I don't think so, with gobs of torque and who cares about a mile or two better fuel mileage on a 40 mpg hog more gears are not really necessary IMHO.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

glens

How about a continuously-variable transmission?  Could always be at peak torque no matter the road speed...

CndUltra88

They cant reinvent the wheel all in one season now can they....
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

biglew55

Quote from: glens on September 15, 2016, 05:39:41 AM
How about a continuously-variable transmission?

Dear God, NO!  Those things might be acceptable for commuter duty, but I can barely stand to ride in a car with one of them, let alone buy a motorcycle with one...
:emoGroan:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

JC2015

Quote from: stogieluvr60 on September 06, 2016, 12:43:44 PM
I road a 17 Ultra 107 yesterday on I 71 in Ohio for about 20 miles or so...at 75 in 6th, it pulled better than my brothers stg 1 103 10 Ltd....personally, if I owned one, a free flowing exhaust & a/c and a proper tune would do it for me....I have learned my lesson...more is just that...more everything...more money...more trouble...more PITA...I was impressed with it...and the top end was dead quiet...what a treat...although there was this curious whine coming from the primary...with only 287 mi. on the clock when I gave it back to him, I'm guessing the chain adjuster shoe hasn't bedded yet but time will tell if that goes away.

Most likely hearing the gear whine from the balancer.

Hossamania

Quote from: biglew55 on September 15, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

Dear God, NO!  Those things might be acceptable for commuter duty, but I can barely stand to ride in a car with one of them, let alone buy a motorcycle with one...

They already make them. They're called scooters.

glens

Quote from: biglew55 on September 15, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

Hey, I wouln't want one either, at least no more than I'd want a seventh (or more) gear.  I was just throwing it out there to take the notion to its logical extreme :)

Hossamania

Actually, CVT transmissions work the opposite of a seven speed. Seventh gear is an overdrive gear, lowering rpms, while the CVT works to keep the engine in its power band.

rob71458

7th gear in the DD7, is 1 to 1 just like the stock six speeds. It's not an OD.
2007 SERK 124, S&S jugs,SE110 heads,640G's,11.5, 58/62 HPI,Bandit,DD7,Bzilla

Hossamania

Quote from: rob71458 on September 20, 2016, 12:43:58 PM

Well then, I really don't understand the need for one.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: JC2015 on September 15, 2016, 12:12:48 PM
Quote from: stogieluvr60 on September 06, 2016, 12:43:44 PM

Most likely hearing the gear whine from the balancer.
"Most likely hearing the gear whine from the balancer."...could may well be...didn't cross my mind...

stogieluvr60

Quote from: Hossamania on September 20, 2016, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: rob71458 on September 20, 2016, 12:43:58 PM

Well then, I really don't understand the need for one.
"Well then, I really don't understand the need for one"...it would just make the lower gears lower, which would make coming off the line, two-up, loaded, on a hill,...easier. Personally, I'd love to ride a bike comparable to mine with a DD7 just to see....it's still 1:1 in 7th...just makes coming off the line easier on the drive line.

Hossamania

I've not had a real problem coming off the line 2 up, loaded down. My RK is 3:37 gearing with stock 5 speed, 95" motor, so no problems there. My Ultra is stock gearing and 6 speed, stock 103", again, no problem.
Seems to me that the 7 speed is for under powered bikes that don't have the power to get out of their own way.

moscooter

:scratch:
"I've not had a real problem coming off the line 2 up, loaded down. My RK is 3:37 gearing with stock 5 speed, 95" motor, so no problems there. My Ultra is stock gearing and 6 speed, stock 103", again, no problem."

Hoss.......Having owned a couple of RK Classics with the 3.37 final gearing,  I completely agree about no problems coming off the line.  However, my old Ultra (2009) SE CVO with the 110 motor, and about 150 or so pounds heavier than the RK and the Ultra final gearing of 2.87............I disagree there.

Many, many guys on the CVO forum went to a 30T trans sprocket to overcome the poor (low end) performance they had.  The 30T moved the final gearing to 3.06 which was much better but still not quite the grunt off the line as the RK. :potstir:

Hossamania

I agree, it doesn't pull away like the RK, but it does work fine for me.