March 28, 2024, 09:02:29 AM

News:

what is the best ccp on an 82 ironhead

Started by Ratman1640, August 31, 2016, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratman1640

Just refreshed the top end on an 82 iron head but didn't lap the valves and I'm wondering what the best cold cranking pressure that you guys have seen . Its got 30 over pistons and 15 thou head gaskets. I'm getting 115 on the rear and 130 on the front. thanks Rat
where every you go..... there you are.......

JW113

A: Seems kinda low
B: Is it even broke in yet?
C: Seems the two should be a bit closer
D: Mine's 170/170 w/ stock pistons & P cams

However, if ya ain't broke it in yet, who's to say what it "should" be? Put some miles on it or go do the 10 full throttle pulls in 4th with coast down, then give it shot and see what it reads.

Just  :SM: 2 cents...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Ratman1640

where every you go..... there you are.......

remington007

My 82 with 8-1 pistons, Valve job and R5 cams was 135 CCP on both holes. I was a newbe at the time on Ironheads.

wreck74

You should have lapped the valves, whenever you do the rings you should do the valves, whenever you do the valves, you should do the rings,  i would pull the heads and clean and lap the valves.

turboprop

Quote from: Ratman1640 on August 31, 2016, 04:51:00 PM
Just refreshed the top end on an 82 iron head but didn't lap the valves and I'm wondering what the best cold cranking pressure that you guys have seen . Its got 30 over pistons and 15 thou head gaskets. I'm getting 115 on the rear and 130 on the front. thanks Rat

Hmm. Missing some key information, like what cams and the elevation where the CCP test was conducted. Were the chamber volumes measured (CC'd)? How about the pistons, not all ironed pistons have the same dome, do you have the specs for the piston dome?

As for a shot in the dark, best CCP, again, you are missing information. Is this bike loaded down with stuff, big rider, big passenger, tall gearing or is it a stripped down street rocket? Makes a difference.

FWIW - years ago I had a 1000 cc ironhead that ran pretty well for what it was. I think it had close to 190 lbs of CCP. Light bike, hot rod gearing, I weighed a lot less then, was a lot of fun. Electric starter wouldn't spin it, but I could kick it pretty easy.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

thumper 823

You would have to really F up a valve job top make it leak brand new and all fresh.
You can do a leak dwn test and see what is happening.
  Next -I always QC valve jobs with brake cleaner in the ports (head right side up) ,  thumb pressure only .
No springs.
Rule of thumb universally  is - no shadows for at least 30 sec.
Its a sure 100% test.
Next -
if you do elect to use lap compound it has to be all cleaned if B4 final installation.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH