May 09, 2024, 07:30:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Andrews cam 21 vs 26

Started by renegade, April 17, 2009, 07:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaliser

I'll have to say this, I installed a set of 26 cams in a freinds bike and it's a heritage, 03 model 88" engine, rejetted carb and V&H's longshots, I have a 95" 06 efi Electraglide standard, flatops and WFOLarrys heads, hq 0034 cams, we did a roll on at about 35 mph to about 60 mph and I barley pulled him any, now I would have pulled him more at higher rpm's but we weren't there, the 26's are a awesome cam, if I had it to do over they would be in my engine.  :smileo:

wurk_truk

9000 miles on that engine.  Bought it Halloween last year.

Yep... it's my understanding that this IS one of the good ones!   Few years back... wasn't .003 the UPPER limit from MOCO on crank run out?

Saving all pennies for Hobanized crank. :smilep:
Oh No!

Sonny S.

>>>the 26's are a awesome cam, if I had it to do over they would be in my engine.  <<<

never to late  :wink:

I've run 26's in a 95", I've installed them in 88's and in 96's and rode both.
For a good all around bolt in that gives both low end and upper rpm performance there is non better.....IMHO

Jeffd

Quote from: metaliser on April 19, 2009, 06:15:31 AM
I'll have to say this, I installed a set of 26 cams in a freinds bike and it's a heritage, 03 model 88" engine, rejetted carb and V&H's longshots, I have a 95" 06 efi Electraglide standard, flatops and WFOLarrys heads, hq 0034 cams, we did a roll on at about 35 mph to about 60 mph and I barley pulled him any, now I would have pulled him more at higher rpm's but we weren't there, the 26's are a awesome cam, if I had it to do over they would be in my engine.  :smileo:

every 0034 dyno graph I have seen has a dip in it.  They always make good numbers and albeit I have not seen that many but the ones I have seen have had a big dip till 3000-3500rpm

ClassicRider2002

I've run 26's in a 95", I've installed them in 88's and in 96's and rode both.
For a good all around bolt in that gives both low end and upper rpm performance there is non better.....IMHO

Sonny~

There is "non" better..........? ? ?

There is one better.....it's the 21....on a bagger of course.

A 95" set up is the meat, a set of modified heads are the potatoes (not absolutley needed but will extend the entire band width making a nice side dish), a set of 2-1 pipes is your beverage of choice to keep you from choking, the 21 is the cake, and the 3.37 final gearing is the icing.......

gawd I am hungry!!!!  now let's talk bacon and eggs.....lol

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Sonny S.

>>>There is "non" better..........? ? ?

There is one better.....it's the 21....on a bagger of course.<<<

Not if you still wanna play a little at higher rpm's. Different strokes for different folks
But as I said earlier.... IMHO. :wink:

Don D

I too like the 26. Versatile. Works in a stock 88 and much better in a 95" with head work and added compression. Sure wish Andrews would increase the lift.

softailroy

I have to chime in with a good question and Topic that seems to be overlooked more often than not.
                  With just bolting in a cam, an air cleaner, and any pipe.........what are you all doing for tuners, or downloads. Are you all just zapping it with a Harley download, or are you all using a pak/tuner of some sort. The majority of our customers just do not understand, and are convinced the download is enough. What say here ? :wtf:

Sonny S.

>>>The majority of our customers just do not understand, and are convinced the download is enough. What say here ? <<<

They are convinced of that because the dealers told them that for way to long.
Now that the dealers have more options on EFI controllers to push they are having a hard time convincing these people that they were really lying before.....just saying
:potstir:

Don D

Well this is a can of worms really loaded with pasion and opinions but I will take a stab
If you change the airflow of the motor significantly a custom tune is the best solution. My preference is staying with the stock ECU and useing TTS or SERT.
Canned maps, factory downloads, and the like are nothing more than a good start and may save a little time getting to the final tune. Most tuners have starter maps that are closer they use, a trick of the trade. Personally not much of a fan of TFI type devices, or Terry products. or ECU piggy back devices. Many people use other solutions and like them it's a matter of choice. Many use factory downloads and say their tune is perfect, until they actually have a quality tune and the ride is smoother, mileage increased and power up.

bfancy

I recently went with the new hydraulic cam tensioner conversion kit from Herko on my 88" 2005 Ultra. I chose the Andrews 21N cams and I am very pleased with the performance gains. I have stage 1 ECM flash, SE high flow air filter, and V&H classic slipon mufflers. For fuel management I went with the V&H Fuelpak. It all works very well together.
I really didn't find the 21's to run out of steam at higher rpm's as some have suggested.

softailroy

I agree Sonny,
                 Working at one can be a challenge on this topic. Times change, and we need to change with them. The big issue I think is communication with the customer, the consumer, and the parts department. It is harder and harder to tune these bikes with performance work without a Dyno.........damn near impossible from what I see, especially on any build that is fairly aggressive.
                  I am all for and about educating folks to get them what they want, not something they do not need. It is not rocket science, the info is all over the web, and they are reading it.I know little about it all myself, but know enough to see it all changing.And from what little experience I have done with my own builds, tuning is so much more vital then ever before.

PoorUB

Quote from: softailroy on April 19, 2009, 08:08:34 AM
With just bolting in a cam, an air cleaner, and any pipe.........what are you all doing for tuners, or downloads.

Power Commander and a dyno tune on my '05 Ultra, Andrews 26 cams, 95", plus a little more.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ClassicRider2002

I really didn't find the 21's to run out of steam at higher rpm's as some have suggested.

bfancy~~~

AMEN!, 

The 21's have been historically  stated as running out of "steam" but you know what my set up with the 21 is pulling to 5200 RPMS.....that doesn't seem to be running out of steam to me.....also....I haven't dynoed it yet.....so I will see if that is the case....but when I look at my tac and I am going down the road.....it's still climbing.....since my REV limiter is set at stock at what I believe is 5450 (isn't that stock?).......I would never be doing much above that anyway.....and generally I am not finding myself pulling it in any gear above 4800 RPMS anyway.....

I am not trying to create a "battle" here lol at all.....but merely wanting to voice my experience with the cam at 5,000 - 12,000 feet.....heck I am only running this bike at oem compression out of the box at my elevation compared to all of you down below at SEA LEVEL...lol....and this bike pulls dramatically....lol shall I say  "zip, zip, zip" quick.....with no issues.....

I would rather see the 26 become someone choice because it changes the power band for their riding style vs because the 21 runs out of "steam" which simply isn't the case....

This whole debate about it running out of steam just isn't so.....there is proof that it won't......but if one wants to run their bike to 6000 rpms perhaps another cam is better suited.....and I am not always running my bike to 4800 RPMS either.....but I know I can if I desire and still have pull......but like I said the proof for my build will come from a dyno.....which hasn't been done....but real life experience on mountain roads have shown me that no loss of power with the cam is experienced in the upper area....

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Jeffd

back when I first posted a dyno of the 21 on my bike in 05 on the original site one of the dyno operators said that if there were no dyno graphs the 21's would be the popular graphs as it was better to have seat of the pants pull from 2000-4000 then from 4000-6000 or something like that.  I would bet that 90% are not riding the rpm zone that there bigger cam bikes shine.  I realize there are those that get the most out of thier builds but the majority never see that rpm zone.

Sonny S.

>>>I would rather see the 26 become someone choice because it changes the power band for their riding style vs because the 21 runs out of "steam" which simply isn't the case....<<<

Exactly !!
Some are willing to give up a lil bit on the bottom to gain a lil bit on the top......
Ain't it great we have choices ?

hd06myway

According to Andrews' website, the 21 cam pulls from 1700 RPMs up to 4800 RPMS.  That's an excellent range of power and torque. How many people "ride" anywhere near 5000 RPMS?  You're going to hit it shifting, but actual steady riding time at that RPM level is few and far between.  The 26 cam is another excellent choice that pulls form 1800 RPMS to 5200 RPMs.  Alot of big horsepower cams don't come on before 3000 RPMs, what good is that?  The fun of riding is taking off out of the hole and feeling that seat of pants torque pull!  Andrews recommends the 21 cam is heavy bikes (ala FLHs) and the 26 cam in lighter bikes, both making great low to mid range power.  You win with either choice IMO.

stro1965

FWIW, when I called Andrews this winter prior to choosing a cam, they recommended a 26 over a 21 for my 96" touring bike.  Could have just been the opinion of the guy that answered the phone that day though.

apendejo

A lot of discussion about low end torque. Sounds to me like a lot of people never get out of the parking lot.
For those folks that rarely see 4k rpm, how do you keep from getting run over when you merge onto the freeway? :pop:
AP

KumaRide

April 19, 2009, 05:58:34 PM #44 Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:02:35 PM by KumaRide
Quote from: apendejo on April 19, 2009, 05:25:16 PM
A lot of discussion about low end torque. Sounds to me like a lot of people never get out of the parking lot.

For those folks that rarely see 4k rpm, how do you keep from getting run over when you merge onto the freeway? :pop:
AP

Thats easy  - we do it in 5th gear!  :hyst:  :potstir:

PoorUB

AP

I rode 200 miles today, never saw 4,000 RPM. Like the other post, I use 5th on the interstate! With the Andrews 26 cams and the 95" who needs 4,000 RPM?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jeffd

here is the funny thing for some reason people think that these baby cams hit the rev limiter at 4000 rpms or something.  They will bump of the stock or even 6000 rev limiters just fine when asked to.  I had my bagger's speedo buried and tach at 5200 rpms in 5th gear 3.15's.  

Don D

It is so common to overcam.
This is done in all motorsports. The late model six speed bikes need torque more than ever and trying to build a top end flier is not usually fruitful. Take a look in the dynos at Diesel's 117" with that puny 240° high lift cam. That bike is an ass kicker.
For a 95" motor using a cam with close to stock intake close closer LSA and more duration (lift under the curve) and TDC lift is a real winner with the later models (IE TW26) kick in some mild headwork and the torque band is extended even further while retaining better than stock low speed torque assuming a good tune and pipe.
BTW this isn't anything new we have been doing this since the cams first came out such as the TW37 and the TW26 and before that with the EV27 13 and 3 and mild Cranes

xxxflhrci

26G's and 3:37 gearing in an 88" here.  I certainly like the way it pulls even riding two-up with 75+lbs of luggage.

apendejo

Quote from: PoorUB on April 19, 2009, 07:17:56 PM
AP

I rode 200 miles today, never saw 4,000 RPM. Like the other post, I use 5th on the interstate! With the Andrews 26 cams and the 95" who needs 4,000 RPM?
Me. I have 26g's in my 95" Ultra. Living in SoCal it is really difficult to putt around and sniff the flowers. When merging into traffic here you better be moving with a purpose. My motor will spin up to rev limiter with ease, and I can guarantee that those 26g's start coming on pretty good at around 4k rpm.
I use 5th gear when cruising the interstate, but will downshift when passing a string of trucks, the motor runs just as happy at 4k as at 3k and will continue to accelerate at a much quicker pace.
AP