April 28, 2024, 05:00:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

7.....107'' mosquito killers

Started by 86fxwg, September 08, 2016, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88b

Fuelling say they will have stem seals out soon so I'd think that was the problem. Back to 05 again then.

rbabos

Quote from: HV on October 23, 2016, 11:23:23 AM
That Photo looks like a typical Harley Piston top.... :nix:
With raw oil running down from the intakes? Should be dry.
Ron

rigidthumper

Possible that's just the intake breathing in the crankcase breather mist? Looks like both intakes have "some" residue, and the majority of the blow by on the near side?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 24, 2016, 04:34:26 AM
Possible that's just the intake breathing in the crankcase breather mist? Looks like both intakes have "some" residue, and the majority of the blow by on the near side?
Looks to me leakage after shut down. Any breather mist would be burnt so the piston top should remain dryer looking. To get that much mist, to the point of liquid laying there the engine would be well worn out for that. Valve seal fit is the most likey cause, between all the other possibles. Don't know why it takes so long for something so simple to be determined. Probably is, but they aren't talking about it. :wink:
Ron
Ron

mobe

I have not personally laid eyes on the heads on one of these but from what I understand from talking to my tech there is a plug in the combustion chamber that is used to machine the oil passages. The theory is that it may be weeping oil around the plug at shutdown and pooling on top of the piston. 

rbabos

Quote from: mobe on October 24, 2016, 09:36:16 AM
I have not personally laid eyes on the heads on one of these but from what I understand from talking to my tech there is a plug in the combustion chamber that is used to machine the oil passages. The theory is that it may be weeping oil around the plug at shutdown and pooling on top of the piston. 

Not picking on you but the techs explanation sounds fishy to me. :scratch: If it can leak oil in a static state sitting there, imagine what the hot compression gasses do going into the oil galley past that plug with the engine running.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on October 24, 2016, 10:08:24 AM

Not picking on you but the techs explanation sounds fishy to me. :scratch: If it can leak oil in a static state sitting there, imagine what the hot compression gasses do going into the oil galley past that plug with the engine running.
Ron

Sure would seem unlikely to have an oil galley plug there.

packrat56

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 24, 2016, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: rbabos on October 24, 2016, 10:08:24 AM

Ron

Sure would seem unlikely to have an oil galley plug there.
:agree:
  It seems quicker just to weld ,if the passage  ends in the chamber.
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

1FSTRK

October 24, 2016, 11:36:55 AM #208 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:42:20 AM by 1FSTRK
I have seen no sign of plugs or passages in any pictures so far. Given the oil travels through the exhaust side of the heads it seems unlikely oil passages have anything to do with this.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,93224.msg1077687.html#msg1077687

Added
Now this pic shows some promise of a link to the theory
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,93224.msg1077804.html#msg1077804
If this plug was to leak it could add oil and some pressure to the rocker cover area and possibly cause brather problems and valve seal problems.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 24, 2016, 11:36:55 AM
I have seen no sign of plugs or passages in any pictures so far. Given the oil travels through the exhaust side of the heads it seems unlikely oil passages have anything to do with this.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,93224.msg1077687.html#msg1077687

Added
Now this pic shows some promise of a link to the theory
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,93224.msg1077804.html#msg1077804
If this plug was to leak it could add oil and some pressure to the rocker cover area and possibly cause brather problems and valve seal problems.
Agree, only exhaust passages and no real connection. Doubt there is any meaningfull oil pressure in that circuit since it basically goes in and dumps in the sump after. In the Fuellings pic,  oil is running downhill from the intake valve. Anyone who has dealt with poor valve seals before, this is a perfect indicator of what happens on shut downs. Restarts it will smoke then clear out. Wonder if the exhaust port is wet also?
Ron

-deuced-

If that's oil that has entered the combustion chamber after shutdown on that piston in the Feuling pic, why isn't it towards the top of the pic? Do M8's have the side stand on the right hand side?
Wonder what the rear piston looks like. I'd also like to see pics of the heads, valves, ports etc.

I also noticed on Feuling fb page that the wee rods have four valve heads and adjustable rocker arms. I didn't know that. Surprised there was no mention of that on this site when the M8 was released.

joe_lyons

Quote from: -deuced- on October 24, 2016, 10:58:54 PM
If that's oil that has entered the combustion chamber after shutdown on that piston in the Feuling pic, why isn't it towards the top of the pic? Do M8's have the side stand on the right hand side?
Wonder what the rear piston looks like. I'd also like to see pics of the heads, valves, ports etc.

I also noticed on Feuling fb page that the wee rods have four valve heads and adjustable rocker arms. I didn't know that. Surprised there was no mention of that on this site when the M8 was released.
No rocker arms on vrod.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rbabos

Wee rod might be referring to the Street engine or at least better be since the Revolution has no rockers. :slap: In case anyone cares the Rev X engine in the Street has a single oh cam per head and rockers with adjusters because they need them. Not to be confused with the hydraulics of the M8 that really doesn't.
Ron

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

rbabos

October 25, 2016, 07:09:08 AM #214 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:58:13 AM by rbabos
Quote from: joe_lyons on October 25, 2016, 06:53:50 AM
My bad
Only assuming that was the terminology. :idunno: As for where the oil comes from, first step is if the twin cooled does the same, then it has nothing to do with oil cooled heads so it's back to the seals.
Ron

-deuced-

October 25, 2016, 01:13:49 PM #215 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:19:20 PM by -deuced-
Sorry, yes I was referring to the Street.

Another thing I saw on that fb page, Twin Cams are now old school. lol

rbabos

Quote from: -deuced- on October 25, 2016, 01:13:49 PM
Sorry, yes I was referring to the Street.
Yup, I heard the term before so figured that's what you were talking about.
Ron

-deuced-

Anyway, in that M8 piston pic, it looks like oil has flowed into the right hand side exhaust valve pocket. Why? Why hasn't it flowed towards the the left hand side of the piston? Wouldn't that be the lowest point when the bike is parked?

Bike31

October 25, 2016, 04:53:45 PM #218 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:33:30 PM by Bike31
A couple of guesses having not seen an M8 head:

Intake flow hits the right valve first or most...same for any oil mist.

Internal bridging captures oil around the right valve seal more than the left when parked. Previous pic...rear cylinder head...intake valves at top.

rbabos

Quote from: -deuced- on October 25, 2016, 01:27:13 PM
Anyway, in that M8 piston pic, it looks like oil has flowed into the right hand side exhaust valve pocket. Why? Why hasn't it flowed towards the the left hand side of the piston? Wouldn't that be the lowest point when the bike is parked?
Bike might have been on a lift and upright or close to it. Since both valves open the same time it looks like the right intake was the one leaking. :idunno:
I do agree, on the side stand it would run to the left.
Ron

Eccool

So three months to the day after this thread was started, is there still no definitive answer for what causes this?  Is the problem (smoking M8's) still out there?