May 09, 2024, 12:40:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why would a bike eat stators?

Started by codyshop, September 05, 2016, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

2006 Softail:  I've put three stators from three different manufactureres in this bike in the last month and they're all burning up (charred windings, stinky primary lube, grounded to case) and it's happened again.  Bike charges at a nice 14.6 each time a new stator is put in so it's not the VR.  Ideas?  Thanks

Ohio HD

I'd bet on the regulator. Possibly under specific circumstances pulling excessive current from the stater.    :nix:

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 05, 2016, 09:12:35 PM
I'd bet on the regulator. Possibly under specific circumstances pulling excessive current from the stater.    :nix:

.... or the battery, or a connection that shows a high resistance after heating up, or from vibration, or a wire near broken to a few strands. Now that's lots of or's, but it's heat that kills most stators and there's a finite list of things that usually contribute to that. If it's the regulator the battery (if it's OK now) won't be long for this world either.
KD

dakota224

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: dakota224 on September 06, 2016, 05:22:29 AM
Bad Ground off Regulator, 

This is what I would check as well...the VR body has to have good ground to the frame (i.e. that lacquer around the mounting bolts on the VR has to be cleaned a little so that there's good continuity to the frame, new star washers are mandatory).
Cheers Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

rbabos

Quote from: codyshop on September 05, 2016, 09:06:19 PM
2006 Softail:  I've put three stators from three different manufactureres in this bike in the last month and they're all burning up (charred windings, stinky primary lube, grounded to case) and it's happened again.  Bike charges at a nice 14.6 each time a new stator is put in so it's not the VR.  Ideas?  Thanks
14.6 is a tad on the high side. 13.8-14.2 would be more normal. I'd check all grounds as has been mentioned.
Ron

Armin

Hi, if you toasted three stators within four weeks that's some record and you should suspect the culprit in the regulator and/or beyond its immediate vicinity i.e. ground terminal and positive wire going to the main circuit breaker then to the starter and then to the battery. If there is a short to ground between the main cb and the starter terminal or the battery terminal then the main CB should open. So either the regulator went south or there is a short before the main CB and this would char the regulator.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

HD/Wrench

we have a vat 45 to check the entire system with a true carbon pile load test. and when most guys loose a stator I tell them that a reg should be done and if the battery is not recent plan on that as well.. A reg that goes bad can put A/C voltage into the batter and they will take for a fair amount of time for what ever reason.  Over charging is the other issue.  there was an issue with the ground at the frame as well but that is something that should always be checked. and if the ground is bad most time it will be an issue with clutch adjustment.. Yes the engine looks for a ground any where it can get it and it will use the clutch cable. The cable will get hot and the customer will complain of the adjustment going out very often

Matt C

If you can check the charging output with an O-scope, you'd see if the regulator/diodes are f-ed up.
Or just change the regulator. And if the battery is older than 3 years, change it too.

It's easy to check the grounding on the regulator too. Measure it with an ohm meter. Takes some of
the guesswork out...

codyshop

Was regulator.  All was fine when it was cool but after about a half-hour ride the VDC would start dropping...let it sit a while and it was good to go again.   Thanks, gents

Phu Cat

Codyshop,  Have you tried "Cycle Electrics" regulators?  They are much tougher than any thing else out there.  While I have replace many HD VR, I've never replaced a Cycle Electrics.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.