May 09, 2024, 08:19:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cams for Dyna Switchback

Started by chilly1, September 05, 2016, 12:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilly1

I am getting ready to have TTS 100 cams installed on my 2014 Dyna Switchback.  I am wondering if I have made the right choice.  I understand that cams are a very personal thing but I need your opinion.  Do these cams bring too much torque to the party for a Dyna?  I ride 2 up about 40% of the time and don't go past 4500 rpm most of the time.  I do not want to be constantly worried that I am going to give it to much throttle and spin the wheel.  Burnouts and stop light races were part of life 20 years ago for me, now that I have "matured" my riding habits have changed.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Ohio HD

I don't have personal experience with the TTS 100's, but to me they're more of a bagger cam set. I installed a set of T-Man 555 Torqster cams in a Dyna Fat Bob, they pull great everywhere. He has SE mufflers and stage one intake. Tuned with SE race tuner. He rides double about 50% of the time. The timing of the TTS 100 cams definitely dictates very low end power. 

[attach=0]

2006FXDCI

September 05, 2016, 01:17:18 PM #2 Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:47:48 PM by 2006FXDCI
Either the 555 torqster or andrews 57 in a dyna . I just did a set of 57's and a fatcat on a friends 2012 switchback . Road tuned it with my PV and AT-100 . Bike runs absolutely awesome for a stock head bike .
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

Templer

If you have "matured" then why change what you have? What or whom are you trying to keep up with? If the bug has you then just install a 124 and "be done with it"!!!

Ohio HD

86fxwg

I have used it,good bagger cam bought like a 255 runs out of air.
As said go with the 57.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Templer

255 sound like what you want based on your riding,RPM, 2 up description. They DO have have good bottom end and modifications to motor HG not really needed.Also IF you are subject to epa/smog rules its a GREEN cam. They have been known to ping and some say compression releases should be used for easy starts. Use search on HTT for posts on  :up:  :down: of SE255. Plenty of fair priced used and new take outs out on the web also!!

boooby1744

Andrews 48 and lower your gearing if you ride 2 up often.

smoserx1

I don't think a torquey cam will cause you to accidentally spin your back tire too often, and I would rather have the ability to pass quickly than the ability to go 100+, especially 2 up.  And IMO your bike IS a bagger.

bigfoot5x

I agree. I doubt you will spin the back tire unexpectedly. A Harley is pretty heavy, even a Dyna. It might surprise you if you are riding in the wet or hit an oil patch. Mostly though, I have learned that the right hand learns very quickly what the new cam will do and the brain/hand connection corrects quickly. My "surprises" with a new cam or engine work only last for a ride or two.

chilly1

Thank you everyone for the input.  I am installing the TTS cams today, dyno tune is tomorrow.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Just to clear things up, matured for me does't mean I have actually grown up, just mean most of my hair has fallen out and what is left is turning gray.   :hug:

Templer

Quote from: chilly1 on September 07, 2016, 09:12:57 AM
Thank you everyone for the input.  I am installing the TTS cams today, dyno tune is tomorrow.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Just to clear things up, matured for me does't mean I have actually grown up, just mean most of my hair has fallen out and what is left is turning "gray".   :hug:
Looking forward to your Dyno post!! For some of us. The "hair" is all still there but ALL of it has turned "gray". Mature "Gray"??  :hyst:

Hossamania

Also looking forward to your impressions of that cam, looks like a good stump puller.
I don't miss my hair so much as miss my knees. They were awesome. Now, not so much.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fritzables

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 05, 2016, 12:39:51 PM
I don't have personal experience with the TTS 100's, but to me they're more of a bagger cam set. I installed a set of T-Man 555 Torqster cams in a Dyna Fat Bob, they pull great everywhere. He has SE mufflers and stage one intake. Tuned with SE race tuner. He rides double about 50% of the time. The timing of the TTS 100 cams definitely dictates very low end power. 

[attach=0]

Hey Ohio, what application are you using there.... Looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio HD

Quote from: Fritzables on September 08, 2016, 01:54:55 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 05, 2016, 12:39:51 PM

[attach=0]

Hey Ohio, what application are you using there.... Looks good.

It's called Accelerator for Windows. Been around for awhile, I had the DOS version originally. It's an OK tool, there are better out there.

[attach=0]

chilly1

Dyno tune performed today by Doc Weaver at Doc Performance in Mineola Florida.  It is my understanding that he is one of the best there is.  The results are 111.02 max torque and 90.11 max power.  Pretty good for a super hot day here in Florida.  Temp reading was 99.87 with 15% humidity in the dyno room.  I have a V&H Propipe, V&H V02 intake, TTS Mastertune 2.  Doc did not think the TTS cams would perform their best with propipe (said it was too big), he was pleasantly surprised. 

The bike is a load of fun to ride.  Power is there any time you want it.  It also runs out farther than it did with the stock cams.

Doc did show from the dyno lines that my clutch is slipping.  I will probably pick up a Barnett carbon fiber clutch kit and replace the clutch plates one of the next few weekends. 

wolf_59

Sounds like you got what you wanted and some  :up:

PoorUB

The SE spring is all you need to deal with the clutch slip. Much less money that swaping out the clutch pack.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!