New compensator or switch to belt drive?

Started by trike time, September 11, 2016, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trike time

Bought a 2012 FLHTCU w/a Motortrike conversion last yr with 8,000 miles on it. I felt it had excess primary chain vibration so I installed a Hayden tensioner. It improved, but from around 2500 rpms and up I think it is still excessive. The trike now has 11,600 miles now and the compensator needs replaced. My question is this. Should I just replace the comp. or switch to a belt drive to possibly reduce vibration? What are the pros & cons of the belt system? Will it stand up to the added weight of a trike? Any thoughts or opinions will b appreciated.

Thx,  Jeff

Mark P

Quote from: trike time on September 11, 2016, 08:00:36 AM
Bought a 2012 FLHTCU w/a Motortrike conversion last yr with 8,000 miles on it. I felt it had excess primary chain vibration so I installed a Hayden tensioner. It improved, but from around 2500 rpms and up I think it is still excessive. The trike now has 11,600 miles now and the compensator needs replaced. My question is this. Should I just replace the comp. or switch to a belt drive to possibly reduce vibration? What are the pros & cons of the belt system? Will it stand up to the added weight of a trike? Any thoughts or opinions will b appreciated.

Thx,  Jeff

Without knowing exactly what vibration you are feeling, a new compensator may smooth things out for you. If you ever get the chance to test ride something with a belt drive do so before you invest in one. Not going to say a belt drive is better or worse but they do have a "different feel" that's not for everybody.

trike time

Quote from: Mark P on September 22, 2016, 07:10:31 AM

Thx,  Jeff

The vibration I feel is high pitched & felt mostly in the floorboards. Definitely rpm related. 2500 & up. The Hayden tensioner did improve it, so I feel it is chain related. The compensator has gotten increasingly louder (clunking at startup & shutoff etc). I believe it should be replaced. I thought perhaps a belt drive would -- A. Eliminate the comp. problems. B. no more chain vibrations. 

Would the belt or the lack of a comp. make the "difference in feel".

Thx.

Without knowing exactly what vibration you are feeling, a new compensator may smooth things out for you. If you ever get the chance to test ride something with a belt drive do so before you invest in one. Not going to say a belt drive is better or worse but they do have a "different feel" that's not for everybody.

Mark P

Quote from: trike time on September 23, 2016, 02:53:10 PM
Quote from: Mark P on September 22, 2016, 07:10:31 AM

Thx,  Jeff

The vibration I feel is high pitched & felt mostly in the floorboards. Definitely rpm related. 2500 & up. The Hayden tensioner did improve it, so I feel it is chain related. The compensator has gotten increasingly louder (clunking at startup & shutoff etc). I believe it should be replaced. I thought perhaps a belt drive would -- A. Eliminate the comp. problems. B. no more chain vibrations. 

Would the belt or the lack of a comp. make the "difference in feel".

Thx.

The fact that you are eliminating the compensator with a belt drive will make it a more direct hook up on and off the throttle making it a little "jerkier" because the cushion of the compensator is gone. You'll notice it most around town 3rd-4th gear in traffic. Not a big change but noticeable.