March 28, 2024, 06:00:52 AM

News:

Proper kick start xlh 1965

Started by hoggy92, September 19, 2016, 02:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggy92

Guys . I am new to forum and to ironhead kick start
Just got a xlh 1965 and really hard to start .
Put an S&S super E. Electronic mallory timing. ....but still  would not start.  Any help ??
Hoggy92 from France

JW113

My experience with ironheads and kick starters is that the motor HAS to be in a good state of tune, else you either give yourself a heart attack kicking it, or it mis-fires breaks your leg.

Have you had it running at all? Does the electric starter work? In not, have you tried push starting it in 3rd gear? Need to make sure the carb is jetted correctly and the ignition timing is correct.

Tell more about this Mallory ignition. It's electronic, yes? Does it have a start up delay, like so many electronic ignitions do? If yes, then good luck kick starting it, will be almost impossible. Or maybe does it have a kick start mode like some electronic ignition modules do?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Racepres

With that mallory timer set-up properly, all you should have to do is get the engine "on-stroke" and drop yer hip into it...No need to throw all yer ass into it and risk a "kick-thru".  and a Kick-back won't hurt ya none...
Generally they start best when you least expect it...
as stated...the state of tune is everything...Find an old, Friendly, Indy who hasn't been blowwed off for J&P and Company ETC., and maybe he will "help" ya!!!!
Not something yer gonna "learn" on the Internet...

garyajaz

I definitely wrong guy to comment on easy starting iron heads.
I twice tried a electronic ing.
first one had some delay as was mentioned.   no spark.
other one I tried had no delay but I could not kick it over fast enough to produce a spark.
with plugs out and no compression it would spark. plugs in  nada.
I ended up with the ol stock batt points. when batt is on and points open there be spark no matter how slow it is turning over.
good luck.

Burnout

IRonheads are not hard to start.

I have started them by hand (on the kicker).

I have witnesses.

You just have to know how to tune one......
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

garyajaz

come on by burnout.
I will pay big dollars if you can hand start mine.
I will not pay for drs and broken arm though

nibroc

watched a buddy hand crank and start his 64 FLH===him be full o .... :turd:... to even try to do my 59XLCH...  :chop: