May 08, 2024, 05:03:41 AM

News:

Starter Relay and Solenoid

Started by Mikeg, September 22, 2016, 10:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikeg

Started a new thread because I didn't want to hijack 1999fxstc's thread. I had the dreaded click today on the 1998 Evo Superglide.  It has been a while in the making; sometimes there is a hesitation when hitting the start button. I have a new starter relay and I just bought an All Balls solenoid rebuild kit from JP Cycles...free shipping until 26 Sep.

I did search the forum and found several threads discussion this issue but I want to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I am going to replace the starter relay and install the solenoid rebuild kit. Is there anything else I should be looking at to check, clean , or replace?

Thanks in advance.

BKACHE

I too am curious about the hesitation that I have.
I had a starter clutch go out (grinding) a year ago.
I replaced the clutch and put in a rebuild solenoid kit.
All year I will get a slight hesitation (almost undetectable) upon the first startup of the day.
Usually I do not get it when it has been used but may occur intermittently during a day of riding.
Could it be as simple as lubing up the plunger?
It does not grind and has started everytime.
I too have an outboard solenoid push button just in case. 
Dan

Flhfxd

I can't remember the last time my starter button actually worked.....I use the push button exclusively now. I don't think it really matters.
Cheers, Flhfxd.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Mikeg

So I tested the starter relay as per the service manual and it checked out good. I took the starter solenoid out and it looked worn but not to the point it shouldn't work... Anyway, I am waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive. I checked all the cables and connections; all were tight and look good, no corrosion. Any other items that should be checked?

Lucky Pete

Mikeg

I am going to have the battery load tested tonight. Either way, I will replace all the solenoid parts because I have it apart and order the parts. If the battery tests bad I guess I will replace that too...

DresserDan

So you have one ground cable? I had to put on another ground on my 90 FXR. Two ground cables. The factory to the starter and one I put on to the frame.

Heatnbeat

I had the same problem, replaced the starter, all was good for awhile and then it returned. I found a thread on HTT about adding a second relay. The second relay pulls current direct from the battery instead of thru the ignition switch. The basic idea is that the starter switch operates the first relay and that operates the second direct relay. I think Old Crow explained it all. My indy had a problem bike and I gave him the wiring diagram, no more problems there either. There is just too much voltage drop thru all of the original wiring, especially the system gets older.

Flhfxd

My start button worked today! Twice! My starter bypass is my primary starter now. I always feel good when the electric start works the way it's supposed to. And I think it makes me look cool as I sit there on my 22 year old dresser   :SM: But that only happens 2% of the time. Otherwise I'm self conscious trying not to roll backwards as I reach down around the hot pipes searching for the starter  :baby:
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'