May 08, 2024, 09:10:27 PM

News:

Power from ECM harness

Started by jam65, October 02, 2016, 07:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam65

Can I get power to a shift light from an open port in the ECM harness? Otherwise, I would like to use the closest switched power outlet from it. Thanks!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I would avoid the ECM (+) if at all possible. Especially with something that has an inconsistent and large system draw as this could affect the Engine Management System.

I suggest using the Battery (+) Fused and, switching it with a SPST Relay.
Tom

longshooter

jam65,
Don't know the year, model of the bike or the current requirements of the light but, if it is non-Canbus, it may be possible to run it off the 87a terminal of the start relay. The 87a terminal is NC (hot) anytime the ignition is on and goes open only when the start circuit is energized. I would still fuse it though.

longshooter
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

jam65

I have a 2007 Dyna. What is the best way to wire in a Raptor Performance shift light? I am really weak on the electrical side of things. I see what they say on their website but do I need to splice into wires or plug in a pin to an open hole in the ECM to read the tach?

convert1967

Actually, you can get the power from the positive side of the coil and get the tach signal from the negative side of the coil and set your shift light to two cylinder mode.  Both are close together that way.

UltraNutZ

instructions tell you to

connect green wire of shift light to the unused pin #3 position of the ECM using the crimp pins HD part # 72076-00
vehicle speed signal to Pin # 33 of the ECM (black/blue or white wire depending on year)
set shift light to 2 cylinder mode.

for +12v you should be able to find that on an orange/red wire in the headlamp nacelle.  Just make sure to fuse your power wire on the light itself
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

jam65

October 14, 2016, 05:35:01 PM #6 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:41:21 PM by jam65
I got the green wire to the #3 position of the ECM but that is for the install on a Vrod correct? Pin #33 (speed sensor) already has a wire in it.