March 28, 2024, 04:50:09 PM

News:

calling garyajaz

Started by drifter, September 28, 2016, 04:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter

I've figured out most of what I need to get for parts for the Iron head, been ordering today.  Back on 9/22 you recommended I get a Cycle Electric generator instead of fixing the original, slight price difference, $85. +/- to fix original and $440. +/- for Cycle Elec. with built in reg.  I have had a Cycle Electric on the Pan since 1999.  Can you give me some reasons/encouragement to spend the extra money?  I just ordered new tires, the ones on it now are date stamped January 1993, they look new but I figured I should replace them.  I've been reading posts about batteries, lots of opinions, with electric start only I will need some juice, any experience with this?  Jason at St. Charles Harley confirmed that the XR pistons in the bike are high compression, stock bore, so the cylinders may be new also.

I thought I had the Pan rear brakes done, but the GMA master started leaking out the push rod end, aaarrrrggg!  The Drag Spec kit was wrong, $50. min order at GMA, may have to buy three rebuild kits or a new master cylinder to make the minimum.

Looks like the Sportster will be on the road first so I am concentrating my bike time on it.

How is it going out there, starting to cool off here, may need my jacket and chaps by the time one of them is on the road.

Warren

garyajaz

hi, just a note. hold on. will answer in a day or 2.
couple semi major things happening here.
my gen pricing was less than 1/2 that.. I did not get the built in reg. just a electronic aftermarket one.
when rebuilding last few only armatures I found were tiwan junk.
ok when they were 35 bucks, but since they doubled or so and spit off solder with any rpm not worth getting

garyajaz

October 04, 2016, 11:20:15 AM #2 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:24:21 AM by garyajaz
hi.
I found ol cycle elect box. it was a few years ago (without reg) and was like $160
I thinking $440 out of line. even with a reg.
quick look showed the DVG 2569 gen on e-bay new, free ship for 257$
amazon same unit for 272$ also free ship.
$346 with reg. (if you must go that way)
I like using a separate reg.
several reasons.
cost. just get any decent electronic one.  mine been on 20 years or so
availability. can use bout anything.  not having to get the built in one if problem out somewhere
hell the ol bosh mechanical one lasted 15 years and was still working when I tossed it.

if its your armature gone. and they run $85 or so. get new gen.
if its just brushes or a bearing. well rebuild for 30-40.
then there are the  wire coils that been working since 197what?
your cycle elect still on pan since 1999. good enough reason.
high comp? if heads off think bout some comp releases.

if price a issue I saw a new all balls on e-bay for 139 and a new import for 100$

drifter

Hey there,
Hope everything is good to your satisfaction out there. 
I need better sources for parts, Dennis Kirk (Guaranteed Lowest Prices) has the CE gen with built in reg for $429. plus shipping, same one as on my pan but cost under $300. when I put it on.  The original reg is still on the bike, but no wire harness to it, just the three connector plug attached to it.  I don't know why the original gen was disassembled.  The brushes are worn out and somebody dropped it and damaged the alloy part of the case where it bolts to the engine.  The armature looks good as does the case, inside and out, big bearing has grit in it from laying around (will replace it) and the flat washer/oil slinger is missing but can get new for $3.  So if nothing is wrong except brushes and the bearing, I can get all the damaged/missing parts for $85. +/- from Jason at St. Charles Harley.   The only good generator/starter repair shop closed several years ago, and they neglected to instruct me in how to test armatures without special equipment.  I prefer separate components for all your reasons also, but when it gets down to putting stuff together and finding proper wiring connectors, gets a bit more complicated (I haven't found a source for the connector plug to the reg yet).  I am really at a loss about what fits and what options are available, all beyond my knowledge.
I'm leaning towards keeping this bike a period piece and not change a lot of it, I like the feel of it.
I'm hoping to not pull the heads or get any deeper into the engine than needed.  It already has four spark plugs, adding compression releases, although tempting and maybe needed, will turn the heads into Swiss cheese.
Can you tell that I don't want to break anything and add to the cost?  I need to talk to Social Security about a big raise!

garyajaz

October 04, 2016, 02:01:12 PM #4 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:07:19 PM by garyajaz
I forgot bout your 4 plug heads.
great.
if hard to turn over due to compression just switch out the two push rod side plugs for releases.
done.

lol sounds like bout $30 in parts for gen.
(if armature checks good)
check around. lots of car parts fit our irons.
like  chevy  points  and condensers.

also I just gave ya two sources.

drifter

Got to playing with the master cylinders, both dry, some corrosion, combined with the new/1993 tires, I don't think this bike has been on the road in decades.  Too much to investigate for a quick fix.  Back to the Pan first and work on the Sportster over the winter.  Thanks for the help.