May 01, 2024, 04:53:07 PM

News:

Stage 3 not worth it?

Started by SLAATY, October 11, 2016, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

Not sure I understand the "problem".

Is the assertion that oil cooled heads don't work and that they will make the oil even hotter? Oil cooled heads aren't exactly new technology and if it works elsewhere why not in the M8?. BMW's oil cooled heads work and they rev higher and produce more power ( i.e. heat ).

Y2KRKNG

That 114 will be standard equipment soon enough, then all this worry will be for nothing.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on October 14, 2016, 05:37:46 AM
Not sure I understand the "problem".

Is the assertion that oil cooled heads don't work and that they will make the oil even hotter? Oil cooled heads aren't exactly new technology and if it works elsewhere why not in the M8?. BMW's oil cooled heads work and they rev higher and produce more power ( i.e. heat ).
They work well if designed right. Size of cooler and air flow a big player. My bitch was no standard fan in the system to handle the cooling in slow speed and city traffic. I don't know why it is with HD that it's always on the owners dime to make things right. In this case, the optional fan should be in place from the factory. Oh wait, more money in their pocket that way, right?
Ron

roadrash3

I just picked up my 2017 with the stage 3, and i could not imagine owning this bike without it. The hottest temperature we have had here is 90 degrees, and i did not notice anywhere near the heat my 2013 had put out. The stage 3 is awesome, 7 year warranty on it and more power then i ever need. I have not had to take it over 4300rpm cause it flys. When i need to pass people on two lane roads i could not be happier. I have a fuel moto 107" build with head work and it smoked this bike on paper. but the dyno butt feeling is this 114" could beat it.

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Nastytls

So I guess my question is, if the BMW doesn't need a fan why does the Harley? Both air/oil cooled engines. Maybe the fan is nice to drop the temps a bit, but is it really needed? Most people that install the aftermarket oil coolers don't have any sort of fan on them.

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on October 14, 2016, 07:58:19 AM
So I guess my question is, if the BMW doesn't need a fan why does the Harley? Both air/oil cooled engines. Maybe the fan is nice to drop the temps a bit, but is it really needed? Most people that install the aftermarket oil coolers don't have any sort of fan on them.
You think BMW didn't suffer from high oil temps in traffic on fanless oil cooled versions? They did. Had a bud always bitching about pinging if in the city too long.  As for adding oil coolers to the TC, well in most cases it's not needed. Once you go real oil cooled heads a cooler is a must and a fan is a bonus for a well rounded package.
Ron

GregOn2Wheels

October 14, 2016, 08:35:23 AM #32 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:38:54 AM by GregOn2Wheels
I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but both heads on an oil cooled BMW are "in the wind" versus a Harley where the front head is kinda in the wind and the only wind the rear head gets is hot air off of the front head.  Of course it shouldn't make that much difference at idle, but I bet that it makes some due to the Harley heads being tucked up under the tank where some hot air is likely trapped.

hd06

You guys are getting too far in the weeds.

GregOn2Wheels

Quote from: hd06 on October 14, 2016, 05:27:05 PM
You guys are getting too far in the weeds.
No place better to be at the moment, but thanks for letting us know.