March 28, 2024, 07:04:56 AM

News:

Check Valve on '47

Started by rickw, October 22, 2016, 01:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickw

This might me a simple question but thought I would ask before I start ripping things apart.

I have a 47' Knuck engine with an S&S oil pump.
This pump has an oil feed for the primary chain.

I have two concerns:
- the primary oil keeps dripping while the engine is not running. This can be a lot of oil if the bike has been sitting for a few months.
- I would have thought the check valve would stop all oil from entering the pump cavity

Does this seem like a check valve issue or is the primary oil separate from that?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Rick

rbabos

Quote from: rickw on October 22, 2016, 01:03:26 PM
This might me a simple question but thought I would ask before I start ripping things apart.

I have a 47' Knuck engine with an S&S oil pump.
This pump has an oil feed for the primary chain.

I have two concerns:
- the primary oil keeps dripping while the engine is not running. This can be a lot of oil if the bike has been sitting for a few months.
- I would have thought the check valve would stop all oil from entering the pump cavity

Does this seem like a check valve issue or is the primary oil separate from that?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Rick
Good question. I felt the primary oiling was done off the pressure side, controlled with a needle for amount required. Not sure on the S&S pump. Are you sure it's not filling the sump over time. It would then drain out of the breather tube which is where the primary oiling also feeds into normally. In this case, the check valve is leaking, sumping and not really from the oiler itself. Just a thought. Oh, the tank will be really low on oil when this is happening.
Ron

rickw

Hi - thanks for the feedback.

The S&S Pump seems to be similar to the stock one. Has a needle valve to control oil volume etc.

Good idea = I never thought it could be filling the sump first and then overflowing through the primary oiler. The breather is disconnected from the case and no oil coming out but the bike is on a kickstand so may be draining out to the primary first. I will block off the primary oiler and see if I get oil out the breather hole.

The ball valve seems good but if the oiler is on the pressure side like you say then it must be through that valve unless I have a leaking gasket or something.

I really appreciate the feedback and will get to work tomorrow...

rbabos

Quote from: rickw on November 12, 2016, 11:21:30 PM
Hi - thanks for the feedback.

The S&S Pump seems to be similar to the stock one. Has a needle valve to control oil volume etc.

Good idea = I never thought it could be filling the sump first and then overflowing through the primary oiler. The breather is disconnected from the case and no oil coming out but the bike is on a kickstand so may be draining out to the primary first. I will block off the primary oiler and see if I get oil out the breather hole.

The ball valve seems good but if the oiler is on the pressure side like you say then it must be through that valve unless I have a leaking gasket or something.

I really appreciate the feedback and will get to work tomorrow...
Good test. Rule it out completely and go from there.
Ron