May 04, 2024, 05:09:42 PM

News:

Oil in A/C @ 5000 Mile Service

Started by twincamzz, October 28, 2016, 03:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on November 05, 2016, 02:43:48 PM
Funny thing about the vrod Revolution is they don't use one way breathers at all. Both heads vent into a canister inside the breather and just one 1/4" hole for exit. This canister has the typical scothbrite looking disc supported on a pedestal inside. Over a season there might be a bit of misting on the bottom of the box but I've never seen liquid. The odd person has claimed otherwise but it usually works good. Damn thing shouldn't work and puke oil all over the place but doesn't. I'm normally a fan of external venting but my intake track is free of oil and no unusual carbon forming so I left it alone.
Ron

One thing about the VRod is it is a unitized transmission and engine. There is more volume in the "crankcase" to deal with the changing volume as the pistons go up and down.  My Yamaha R1 has nothing but a vent hose from the crankcase to air filter, but then a inline four's crankcase volume does not change, the breather just deals with blowby.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

stogieluvr60

:up:
Quote from: rich1 on October 29, 2016, 03:45:01 AM
So it sounds like the new crank vent system isn't any better than the old one if you still get oil into the air cleaner. I would find a way to vent it to atmosphere. You certainly don't want to get your throttle body all gunked up and have carbon build up on your pistons.
:up: :up: :up: