March 28, 2024, 10:45:09 PM

News:

NEW TOY

Started by garyajaz, November 01, 2016, 11:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

was happy to let my iron sit till knee got a little better.
but now there is a shiny, and i mean SHINEY, S&S Super E carb, backing plate, air cleaner and super polished tear drop air cleaner cover on my table.
WOW. its going on a.s.a.p.

I pretty much had to take off my good ol L series cause no acel pump or proper enriching device, or anything to prime  it to kick start.  and I now old and broken. start is a major issue.

we called that L series a toilet bowel. just flush it and 10 seconds later your at the end of 1/4 mile.
but very hard to start.
I put on a c,.v just to start it , but the power was definitely down.
and a stock carb, on that bike, just did not look right.

Seems JOHN  (jw113)
had just what I needed in a box.  I am  one happy puppy.
just a public thanks John.

I will be also be quick to blame you for  any body injuries working on that ol POS bike and the kicking there of..
no good deed goes unpunished.

packrat56

It's amazing how some people so excited  over a piece of metal  :agree:

Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: packrat56 on November 01, 2016, 11:30:34 AM
   It's amazing how some people so excited  over a piece of metal  :agree:

So true! "Honey, look! Isn't that just the sweetest looking carb you've ever seen?"
"Um, yeah, sure. When are you going to fix the screen door?"
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

garyajaz

screen door gets fixed  after it hits her bitching butt on way out.
tis why I not married.

I had no help getting bike out of hauler. but I can fit next to it.
installed it yesterday. throttle inner a tad long. will cut and resolder barrel when bike comes out this weekend. also carb support gonna be different so will make a new one of those.
Zoom Zoom
main thing is it tucks under fiberglass tank no problems.
fit is just fine.   :baby:

packrat56

:up: 
    New toys that work are always the best, but making stuff from scratch is good too. 
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

saltcaveminer

Gary whatever it takes to keep the iron and you on the road is all good. I still like my Mikunis for the ironheads but I realize that a lot of folks believe in accelerator pumps (not sure why). A good choke and jetting with crisp response thru the throttle range is the name of the game. Keep us posted!Salty

garyajaz

November 03, 2016, 01:00:50 PM #7 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:04:23 PM by garyajaz
I have a 42 mik on my dyna and like it.
smooth and like you said nice transition between jets.
it also has accel pump.

thing is why I like pumps this ol L series has none. so its about 5 kicks with choke on to get any gas up through idle system to prime.
after 4-5 kicks on this high comp beast I bout done prior to even turning on ign switch.
with a pump can goose it a few times and kick with  a wet charge in it.
as far as smooth transitions, well, I did not build a 80 inch stroker to run in the smooth mid range.
I consider any S&S a off on switch and ride them accordingly.

JW113

Gary,

If you're going to re-use the throttle cable for the CV, yes it has about 1" too much free length for that S&S. What I do is instead of putting the ferrule in the "puller" side hole where it's supposed to go, wrap it around the throttle wheel over to the "return" hole. The ironhead I just took that carb off was set up that way, worked fine. Glad you got it mounted up!

I also got that CV mounted up, went to fire it up yesterday, seems the float needle is stuck. Am headed out there right now to pop it open and put a new float needle in, that should take care of it.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

garyajaz

I have cable kit from old days when I made them.
in fact I made one on it now. I was gonna heat barrel solder and just move up the barrel.
actually when I noticed slop I noticed it would go around to other side but wondered bout doing it.
now I know its doable. thanks.
this is also reason people think S&S are jerky. full throttle is bout what 1/2 throttle is on reg carbs. as far as cable pull and diameter of wheel.

doubt c.v. needs new needle. hasn't been sitting that long.
it was empty when I stopped kicking on it...
is it stuck open/flodding or closed no gas?
either way I betting a squirt will "fix" it.

garyajaz

went out and squirmed my way to bike sunday.
looked at carb, looked at knee.
not this week...
so I took my limited time help for that day and we mounted a spare tire rack on my bike trailer.
its a basic flat bed come get me unit. ramp, lots of tie downs. all that.
made it over 3 years time in winter when it wasn't 115 welding out. nice thick floor and full length steel ramp and front plate for bike. anyway it has new tires. a new spare will do ok in truck. but this is permanently hooked to my jeep full of tools and its own spare. been wanting to weld this thing up. so that was Sunday.
will get same help next sunday     (these damn working friends)
and will dig bike out. make support bracket fit, and maybe copy johns simple but very effective looking bracket.  make or just switch cable holes as john suggested and maybe try to kick it over Monday.

I now in no real hurry, and with the problems john encountered with mine I might take this one apart, flush and note jet sizes and stuff before kicking.
its a coin toss.  he did mention he jetted it for a fairly stock 1000. I guess I should check.
well, thanks  for reading. I off for a ride on the buell
other than pain its good to be retired.