May 09, 2024, 02:52:24 PM

News:

Puking oil,,,,You have no Idea

Started by RXBOB, November 20, 2016, 04:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

Amazing how well/long an HD will run in poor condition.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Do the scavenge g-rotors even exist on that bike, or at least in one piece? :hyst:
Ron

1FSTRK

That was my point in the earlier post. Once the return side of the pump gets trashed or plugged, the oil level in the cases rises to the point that the return passage from the heads to the cam chest are flooded with oil. What you are seeing come out the breathers is being pumped into the heads by the down stroke of the pistons do to the volume of the cases being cut more than in half by the sumping oil. If it were just oil leaking from the cam plate bushing the return gears are big enough to keep up with anything the supply gears can pump.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

RXBOB

Motor is coming out over the next couple of days and getting torn down, Yep I would say that there is more damage than the eye can see at this point in time.

The guy that bought this got it for $4000 AUD so if he spends a few grand he still ends up with a relatively cheap bike and knows he's got a good motor after its finished

FXDBI

Quote from: RXBOB on November 21, 2016, 02:22:19 PM
Motor is coming out over the next couple of days and getting torn down, Yep I would say that there is more damage than the eye can see at this point in time.

The guy that bought this got it for $4000 AUD so if he spends a few grand he still ends up with a relatively cheap bike and knows he's got a good motor after its finished

That isn't going to be cheap to fix PROPERLY   Bob

BUBBIE

Wonder what the Pistons and walls look like?  :pop:

Had an 03 that ate the shoes, Plus A Ina Cam Bearing TOO... Must be in about the same condition as shown here...  :sick:

My take on the one I described:  @ 32,000 miles, I call it Way Over the Check Limit for the shoes... Plus ridden HARD...

signed....BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

RXBOB

Got the crank out and this had a tight spot when rotating in the cases

looks like the right wheel was rubbing on the cases where the inner cam bearings are

Just Nick

That crank is wayyyy out does he have any idea what happened did this bike loose a primary chain on a high rpm launch or something? The only time I have seen crank that bad were on abuse situations like that where someone screwed up bad. Is the case cracked at the main bearing boss ?
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

FSG

Quotelooks like the right wheel was rubbing on the cases where the inner cam bearings are

:up:  that it was 

RXBOB

Quote from: Just Nick on November 26, 2016, 12:38:46 PM
That crank is wayyyy out does he have any idea what happened did this bike loose a primary chain on a high rpm launch or something? The only time I have seen crank that bad were on abuse situations like that where someone screwed up bad. Is the case cracked at the main bearing boss ?

Sorry got absolutely no history on this bike.
the owner drove 6 hrs one way picked it up, bought it home and to me

1FSTRK

There have been times over the years when HD would have problems with the comp nuts coming lose. Running with it lose will let the crank walk to the cam side and rub. I have seen it a few times.

-deuced-

Appreciate the pics and feel his pain. So, what now? Complete second hand engine an option? There'd be a few models that would fit although you could end up with another can of worms.

PoorUB

Obviously you need a crank. What is the top end like? Cases ok? New crank, bore, pistons, rebuild heads and of course something other than the stock cams and a tune. Other option would be a HD long block.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

RXBOB

This is the Plan
Crank will get overhauls
all new bearings and seals in the cases
Hydraulic cam chain conversion ( second hand cam plate, oil pump, chains and sprockets)
98ci CP pistons and barrels bored
Heads Overhauled, CNC ported, guides, seal, 7mm valves and beehive springs
Andrews 67n Conversion cams
10.5/1 comp

1FSTRK

Sounds like a great plan. No better time to do a build like that because most of it needs fixing anyways.
:up: :up:

-deuced-

Yeah, that's a much better option. Was there any debris in the oil pan?

RXBOB

Quote from: -deuced- on November 26, 2016, 09:22:12 PM
Yeah, that's a much better option. Was there any debris in the oil pan?
That's on the things to do list, to clean and inspect

wolf_59

If possible while the cases are split I would bore cam bearing holes for the newer stuff so I wouldn't be stuck having to use conversion cams lot of choices for the newer stuff
JMHO

koko3052

Quote from: wolf_59 on November 27, 2016, 06:18:38 AM
If possible while the cases are split I would bore cam bearing holes for the newer stuff so I wouldn't be stuck having to use conversion cams lot of choices for the newer stuff
JMHO

:up: :up: :baby:

RXBOB

just plain john

JMHO
That's a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05 FLHTCI

RXBOB

February 20, 2017, 06:22:41 PM #46 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:25:11 PM by RXBOB
An update and a Q

The crank is in the post on the way back, heads have been CNC'd and reconditioned to 7mm Valves, Barrels all bored for 98ci CP pistons, Case has had the cam bearing holes bored to suit late model cams.

Question is I will be running S&S 585 Cams and the lobe hits the Boss around the crank bearing on the case I will get the dremel out and shave it up so it clears. do I need to do any clearance on the cases around the lifter bores?

I will assemble the cams in the cam plate and check before assembling the bottom end but thought I would as

Hilly13

Pretty sure there was a clearancing tool for that job Ando, never used it but remember seeing it.
Not much help but thought I would chuck it in.
Just because its said don't make it so

tmwmoose

JMHO

Sure wish I would have thought of that 3-4 years ago when I built my 110 (early S&S cases)

RXBOB

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 20, 2017, 07:31:35 PM
Pretty sure there was a clearancing tool for that job Ando, never used it but remember seeing it.
Not much help but thought I would chuck it in.

not looking for a tool ill use once or twice