May 03, 2024, 04:36:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Cams aftermarket

Started by BVHOG, November 21, 2016, 06:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

So who has cams out other than Harley? specs? etc?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

banjoman2255

Jamie at Fuel Moto just posted a pic of Wood test grinds.  He said he has 4 grinds to test.

happyman

Quote from: banjoman2255 on November 22, 2016, 08:39:15 AM
Jamie at Fuel Moto just posted a pic of Wood test grinds.  He said he has 4 grinds to test.
on what site?

Coyote

15fltrxs

February 07, 2017, 02:11:59 PM #5 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:15:32 PM by 15fltrxs
Just saw on T-Man Facebook. Should be available by month end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio HD

wfolarry

I would be careful picking a cam for these. The motor hasn't been out long enough for any real testing & I think some are putting stuff out there just to be first. Err on the side of caution. Some of the cam specs are all over the place.

NCTURBOS

GB3 @ Star Power also has one available, which he's calling the '226' as well... Don't know the specs. though...

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on February 08, 2017, 11:11:15 AM
I would be careful picking a cam for these. The motor hasn't been out long enough for any real testing & I think some are putting stuff out there just to be first. Err on the side of caution. Some of the cam specs are all over the place.

I think this is true for the companies & shops that are merely putting their name on stuff made by another company. For the companies that can grind their own cams on site, I bet they have a pile of cams they have have tried. I was at Zippers the week harley released the M8 to the public. They had already purchased an M8, did a bunch of dyno pulls and had it torn apart when I saw it. I bet the same thing was happening at S&S that week.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Tommy D

Acts 4:12

1FSTRK

The last I knew Andrews did not own a dyno or have a test facility. 
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

BVHOG

Quote from: NCTURBOS on February 08, 2017, 11:42:45 AM
GB3 @ Star Power also has one available, which he's calling the '226' as well... Don't know the specs. though...

K.
Same 226 as listed above.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

turboprop

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 08, 2017, 07:05:36 PM

Bet yet Andrews has been designing and grinding cams for Harleys longer than I can remember. Amazing.

1FSTRK

Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 05:07:41 AM

Bet yet Andrews has been designing and grinding cams for Harleys longer than I can remember. Amazing.

He always worked closely with the various builders in the industry to come up with the cam grinds.

turboprop

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 09, 2017, 05:12:11 AM

He always worked closely with the various builders in the industry to come up with the cam grinds.

And I bet Andrews Andrews has been doing that since the day the M8 was released.

Durwood

Andrews had two different M8 grinds at the expo, along with dyno graphs and specs, FWIW.

turboprop

Quote from: Durwood on February 09, 2017, 05:54:12 AM
Andrews had two different M8 grinds at the expo, along with dyno graphs and specs, FWIW.

I am not surprised. The companies that grind cams in house will undoubtably be first to the market with cams. The other shops that put their name on names will probably take a while longer.

Aside from S&S, Zippers and Andrews, did anyone else have M8 cams on display at Cinci?

Tommy D

Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 07:41:47 AM

I am not surprised. The companies that grind cams in house will undoubtably be first to the market with cams. The other shops that put their name on names will probably take a while longer.

Aside from S&S, Zippers and Andrews, did anyone else have M8 cams on display at Cinci?

Cole's TTS MKE 8 cam on display by chance ?
Acts 4:12

1FSTRK

My bet is the guys saying the least are doing the most testing. Some will try to be first and others will try to be best.

Durwood

Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 07:41:47 AM

Bob Wood and Steve Cole.

Herko

"And I bet Andrews has been doing that since the day the M8 was released."

At least by proxy anyway. That is, the early private label M8 cam purveyors who chose AP to grind for them in lieu of other grinders.

Andrews M8 cams per the flyer in the AP booth at the Expo:
M450 00/14__34/00 .450__.450 lift
M460 02/18__38/-02 (minus 02) .460__.460 lift

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

rbabos

Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 05:31:45 AM

And I bet Andrews Andrews has been doing that since the day the M8 was released.
Well HD got the cams for the M8 from someone, not necessarily Andrews but some cam maker supplied them.
Ron

turboprop

Quote from: rbabos on February 09, 2017, 03:03:57 PM

Well HD got the cams for the M8 from someone, not necessarily Andrews but some cam maker supplied them.
Ron

You don't think Harley has the means to grind a cam in house? I bet they do.

rbabos

Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 09, 2017, 03:03:57 PM

Ron

You don't think Harley has the means to grind a cam in house? I bet they do.
Why would they? Just supply the specs and have whoever is doing thousands of them deal with it.
Ron

1FSTRK

I do not know about the M-8 But John Andrews ground dozens of test cams for the HD factory during the Twin cam development.

turboprop

Thousands of M8 Cams, during development, really?

1FSTRK

rbabos

February 09, 2017, 05:24:29 PM #28 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:29:18 PM by rbabos
Quote from: turboprop on February 09, 2017, 04:49:33 PM
You took it literally.  HD would have a source planned for production. That outfit would likely build the protos and take it from there once finalized. Standard manufacturing practice. Then they can make thousands.
Ron

rbabos

1FSTRK

February 09, 2017, 05:34:41 PM #30 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:37:27 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: rbabos on February 09, 2017, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 09, 2017, 05:15:21 PM

:wtf:
You too?
Ron

Not meant toward you Ron, but to his take on your post. He had to edit the quote to take it out of context.
I knew what you were saying.

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 09, 2017, 05:34:41 PM

You too?
Ron

Not meant toward you Ron, but to his take on your post. He had to edit the quote to take it out of context.
All good. :wink:
Ron

turboprop

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 09, 2017, 05:34:41 PM

You too?
Ron

This has gone way off topic. I don't believe anyone outside of Harley saw M8 cams before the public release and maintain that aside from S&S, Zippers, and Andrews there isn't anyone grinding aftermarket cams for the M8.

wfolarry

I do believe that HD is grinding their cams in house. Don't quote me on that though.

ultraswede

The SE TC cams are ground by Andrews, at least the two I have seen. 263 and 259.

M8  :idunno:

1FSTRK

Quote from: ultraswede on February 10, 2017, 03:56:23 AM
The SE TC cams are ground by Andrews, at least the two I have seen. 263 and 259.

How did you determine that?

Tattoo

are you sure about that ? :nix:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

No Cents

I thought Comp Cams was grinding the SE cams for some time...but now I see Comp Cams has released their own line of cams for the Harley's so I'm assuming they aren't grinding them anymore for the mother ship.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Don D

Comp Cams typically grind the SE cams
This motor is going to want different timing than the twin cam, I like and agree with Larrys advise.

mp

Quote from: Herko on February 09, 2017, 02:40:35 PM

"And I bet Andrews has been doing that since the day the M8 was released."

At least by proxy anyway. That is, the early private label M8 cam purveyors who chose AP to grind for them in lieu of other grinders.
Andrews M8 cams per the flyer in the AP booth at the Expo:
M450 00/14__34/00 .450__.450 lift
M460 02/18__38/-02 (minus 02) .460__.460 lift
What horrible looking specs.  And on the Andrews website?  Zippo.  Not even a 2016 catalog, much less 2017.  And their price list is from 2014!

ultraswede

February 10, 2017, 07:26:27 AM #40 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:31:30 AM by ultraswede
Quote from: Tattoo on February 10, 2017, 05:34:50 AM

are you sure about that ? :nix:

My memory failed me, I stand corrected.
It is indeed comp cams that grind the SE cams I have seen. Just pulled out the papers for the 259 cams from the 117 kit.

Sunny Jim

I have been following the cam debate closely. Interesting what has appeared on the market thus far.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is these M8s are around 230 psi CCP. And around 10:1 comp.
pulling the CCP down to around 200 psi would surely be more suitable. Surely we can still create that Seat of the pants feel like one would get from a 107 Twin cam. Presumably this is all about cam design.
Happy to be guided on this one.

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on April 22, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

I have been following the cam debate closely. Interesting what has appeared on the market thus far.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is these M8s are around 230 psi CCP. And around 10:1 comp.
pulling the CCP down to around 200 psi would surely be more suitable. Surely we can still create that Seat of the pants feel like one would get from a 107 Twin cam. Presumably this is all about cam design.
The Milwaukee Eight 107 rolls over at 215/215 with the stock cam, at least mine did, and with the Cycle-Rama 450 it cranks 202/202. I haven't checked a CVO 114, but it comes with the same cam and is 10.5:1, I'd say that is where the 230 came from.

I have the CR-460 sitting on the work bench awaiting install and re-tune. I will post the data as soon as I can.

Jim, my bike is crossing 110 ft# at 2200 rpm, you can definitely feel that in the seat of the pants.

The sheet is here in post 105. http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=95948.100

As soon as the testing is completed Wes will put the final cam design for a stage 2 107 into production, this will be in the next couple of weeks.

Daren

Sunny Jim

Thankyou Durwood!
I own an M8. I am apprehensive. Down here in OZ we have heard several reports of porosity in heads and cases, engine studs pulling, noisey gearboxes etc.
I have only 5k(3500 mile) on mine. So far so good. FYI.

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on April 23, 2017, 04:06:33 AM
Thankyou Durwood!
I own an M8. I am apprehensive. Down here in OZ we have heard several reports of porosity in heads and cases, engine studs pulling, noisey gearboxes etc.
I have only 5k(3500 mile) on mine. So far so good. FYI.
You're welcome Jim.

Mine only has 1000 miles on it but 700 of them were on the dyno, over 200 max power runs, combined with hours of steady state tuning.

She's a keeper. :teeth:

Sunny Jim

Presumably Andrews are involved with the manufacture of the CR cam. I spoke with TR and he/ they seem to be happy with the progress of their second tier cam - 216. It will interesting to compare the cam specs when the CR cam becomes available.

1FSTRK

Just like the cam timing, M-8 CCP needs will not be directly comparable to a twin cam.
You have different flow patterns throughout the cylinder fill cycle, different combustion chamber shape, and dual sparkplugs. When properly set up this should allow the M-8 to having a more positive response to higher CCP's while needing less ignition timing to make better power under the same running conditions. Only time and test will yield the true results of this.

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 23, 2017, 06:37:13 AM

Just like the cam timing, M-8 CCP needs will not be directly comparable to a twin cam.
You have different flow patterns throughout the cylinder fill cycle, different combustion chamber shape, and dual sparkplugs. When properly set up this should allow the M-8 to having a more positive response to higher CCP's while needing less ignition timing to make better power under the same running conditions. Only time and test will yield the true results of this.

Agreed to all the above.

This engine is a different animal for sure, that's why we are doing all of this testing before releasing a cam just for the sake of releasing a cam.

Sunny Jim

TTS has dams in production and more grinds to come. My understanding is these fellas have really don their homework too.

TorQuePimp

Crane did most of the innitial testing and cam core/cam grinding for harley

My friend Jeff bought all three harley TC test mules,the HD engine dyno and everything from the harley dyno cell when crane went belly up.

Comp no longer grinds cams for harley...contract ended

Comp is selling cams developed for Dennis Kirk only ATM....they supposedly have more cams on the way after the deal with dennis kirk ends.

Comp has three grinds for the M-8  2 that I have seen dyno sheets for

The smaller of the two increased power almost 20%