May 05, 2024, 03:10:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifters

Started by RXBOB, November 29, 2016, 04:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_lyons

How is the vertical roller movement? 
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

cmashark

Just in case it was missed, I was at the dealer and the parts manual calls out the C lifters for our M8's.  So they didn't try to improve anything there!
2021 FLHXSE

kristian

Quote from: RXBOB on November 29, 2016, 06:14:41 PM
Quote from: Billy on November 29, 2016, 05:29:39 PM
What do the cam lobes look like?

did you change the inner cam bearing?  what does/did it look like? looks like oils supply issue
Kris

Paniolo

I'm not an expert so pardon my questions if they seem out of left field. The rollers on the lifters are frosted. The cam shaft appears to be in good condition. Are they made from the same material? What doe S&S make their lifters out of that HD does not? Could it be a matter of different qualities of metal in contact?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

rbabos

Quote from: Paniolo on December 04, 2016, 09:44:59 AM
I'm not an expert so pardon my questions if they seem out of left field. The rollers on the lifters are frosted. The cam shaft appears to be in good condition. Are they made from the same material? What doe S&S make their lifters out of that HD does not? Could it be a matter of different qualities of metal in contact?
In reality they should be of two different hardness levels but not by much. Cam should survive and the lifter roller the sacrificial part. Looks like the rollers might be too much on the soft side in some of these cases or not hard enough for the intended loads. If you look at frosting under a scope you can see the surface as being chewed off in chunks and really rough.  Having two rubbing components of equal hardness tends to eat each other up. Quite a science actually.
Ron