Milwaukee Eight cam install step by step

Started by Jamie Long, December 07, 2016, 10:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Long

For those interested I'm going to outline what is involved in a cam swap in the Milwaukee Eight engine. This is a very straight forward procedure on this motor. We will covering the install using a bolt in replacement cam using quick install adjustable pushrods, we will be re-using the stock lifters. The bike is our 2017 Road Glide with 107" M8 air cooled engine.

Here is the motor ready for disassembly, we've removed the complete exhaust system, air cleaner, and cam cover. 

Jamie Long

To get started you will remove the cam cover.

Here is a close up image of the camchest

In this application we will not be re-using the factory pushrods, we are using Quick Install style adjustable pushrods.

Here we are cutting the factory pushrods with a bolt cutters and removing them. Do not use a cutoff wheel or grinder, use a bolt cutter which makes a clean cut and eliminates (or highly reduces) the chances of any particulates making their way into the motor.

Jamie Long

camchest with cam plate removed

removing the inner cam bearing. For bearing installation we used a makeshift tool until we are able to get a M8 specific tool.

Jamie Long

M8 cam plate removed from engine

backside view of M8 cam plate with camshaft

Jamie Long

Jamie Long

stock H-D M8 cam on the left, aftermarket cam on right (Wood Performance WM8-222). Note the lobes are pressed on the factory cam

We used the same Twin Cam magnetic tools for holding the lifters in place on the M8, there are other simple ways to hold them as well including the binder clip method

Jamie Long

Installing the cam in the cam plate.

Replace o-ring on feed oil port, install cam plate into the engine cases, install screws loosely.

Tighten screws in sequence according to manual.

Jamie Long

Install cam sprockets & chain. Use red loctite on these fasteners. You can use the same locking tool as a Twin Cam. Double check sprocket alignment and cam spacing.

Note timing marks

Jamie Long

Allow lifters to bleed down and adjust pushrods to spec based on the specific thread pitch.

Install cam cover, you are now ready to install the exhaust system and other components that were removed for cam installation.

FSG

QuoteWe used the same Twin Cam magnetic tools for holding the lifters in place on the M8

I've not see those before, can you post just the tool only for a better look?

Quotequick install adjustable pushrods

what breed?

TIA

14Frisco

FSG

7hogs

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rokinrider

If I buy the cams and some other go fast stuff, I assume a good base tune for my PV comes with. Now I'm really excited, good numbers.
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

FSG

Did you happen to check the Base Circle Diameter on those cams?

kristian

Quote from: Jamie Long on December 07, 2016, 10:51:32 AM
camchest with cam plate removed

removing the inner cam bearing. For bearing installation we used a makeshift tool until we are able to get a M8 specific tool.

i asked the op in the lifter thread about the inner cam bearing, no reply, but just vexxed that jims doesnt have the inner cam bearing puller out already??  perhaps he's had enuff shite from mom and doesnt give a fook.
Kris

FSG

the cam bearing is the HD 9215 (INA) which one would replace with the B-168 so pulling the INA out should be easy enough, pressing the new B-168 will take some ingenuity, then there's those that knock the new bearings in with the old cams.

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on December 09, 2016, 11:08:47 PM
the cam bearing is the HD 9215 (INA) which one would replace with the B-168 so pulling the INA out should be easy enough, pressing the new B-168 will take some ingenuity, then there's those that knock the new bearings in with the old cams.

I'll admit that back in the day of Pan and Shovel, I used my OTC bushing driver set to put the cam bearing in, and then recess it a touch....    :embarrassed:

PoorUB

Personally, I don't have any issue tapping the bearings in with whatever you can find, as long as there is some common sense involved. Sure you can muck up the bearing if you are not careful.

I was trained in heavy equipment mechanics and have had all types of equipment torn apart over the years. You would be surprised how many times the acceptable way to install a bearing is a brass drift and a two pounder.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rokinrider

I would hope Georges will have a tool out soon?
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

sandrooney

You were comfortable using the stock lifters ?   You felt the bearing needs replacing ?

I am just waiting till they have the M8 in the Heritage, hopefully next August. I will be leaving it stock except for pipes, AC and SE street tuner.

Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

DRod

excellent work..  thanks for the tutorial.  now I'm really going to do the stage II upgrade. 

Smarty

Quote from: sandrooney on December 28, 2016, 04:28:44 AM
You were comfortable using the stock lifters ?   You felt the bearing needs replacing ?

I am just waiting till they have the M8 in the Heritage, hopefully next August. I will be leaving it stock except for pipes, AC and SE street tuner.

Thanks,
SR
I've said that way to many times! :bike:
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Durwood

Quote from: Rokinrider on December 11, 2016, 07:00:00 AM
I would hope Georges will have a tool out soon?
Just emailed George 2 days ago, he is working on the plate, the existing 07 up cam bearing puller and hardware for the installer are the same.

He didn't say when, but shouldn't be long.