March 28, 2024, 12:52:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust choices these days

Started by JW113, December 21, 2016, 08:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

With the loss of Cycle Shack, my go-to exhaust choice, there sure doesn't seem to be many options now for Ironhead exhaust, unless you want drag pipes or those weird "snake swallowed a watermelon" pipes from Paughco. I am wondering how much effort it would be to alter the exhaust port ends of a set of Evo Sporty pipes to fit an Ironhead? The general frame, motor shape, mount locations are not that different between Evo and Iron, so the fit should be close. Just need to modify the ends to they would slip fit over the Ironhead exhaust ports. Yes? No? Anybody?

thanks,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

garyajaz

a guy/shop in your town made  2 inch pipes for my  ironhead.
one piece with a sorta muffler. he ex Bonneville guy. will try to think of his name and see if still alive and working.

garyajaz

I think it was BUB .  he out of business.

tmwmoose

When I do searches for FXR pipes on e bay Theres a seller that sells MAC exhaust and I have seen ironhead pipes there. I think there from Fl

JW113

I'm going to do some poking around with a couple guys that I know in the biz. Can't hardly imagine that Cycle Shack is going to just sell all that tooling and custom mandrels for scrap iron. SOMEBODY needs to buy it, sure wish Paughco would.

-JW

packrat56

Quote from: JW113 on January 14, 2017, 11:33:50 AM
I'm going to do some poking around with a couple guys that I know in the biz. Can't hardly imagine that Cycle Shack is going to just sell all that tooling and custom mandrels for scrap iron. SOMEBODY needs to buy it, sure wish Paughco would.

-JW

That's what I was thinking all the tooling and machines, ready to go, somebody would buy it quick
but maybe they wanted to much
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

tmwmoose

Quote from: JW113 on January 14, 2017, 11:33:50 AM

-JW

I don't about that man they got expensive a while back I was shocked when I saw they wanted $300.+ for some 36" kick outs and there's no muffler just a strait pipe

JW113

Yeah, but now.... unobtainium! At any price!

:cry:

-JW

rider7816

I got REALLY lucky and found a NOS set of Cycle Shack full exhaust set for my 1977 XLH.  Im very pleased with them, hope to have them for a very long time and also very happy with the sound.

Frank :chop:

JW113

Wow, Ironhead forum kinda slow these days...

I ended up buying a set of NOS MAC pipes from ebay. Was advertised as 1-3/4". What was delivered was 2", or at least that's what I thought. I contacted seller, we went round and round, but it came down to "take it or leave it, it's all I have". So I kept them, but sat on the shelf until last week. I went to install, and ha ha ha, the one I looked at was 2", the other was 1-3/4"!! I've tried to contact the seller, no response. It's been almost a year since the purchase, guess I'm to blame for not inspecting both. Oh well, just money.

I found another set on ebay, hopefully both will be 1-3/4", will check it out right away when they show up.

Still no news on what's going to happen to Cycle Shack assets...

-JW

14Frisco

Quote from: JW113 on January 05, 2018, 09:06:21 AM
I found another set on ebay, hopefully both will be 1-3/4"

Better if they are not, better if one is 2" and the other 1-3/4"...

JW113

That is true! But only if it's the opposite of what I already have! Another set of 2" front and 1-3/4" rear won't do me much good.

-JW

14Frisco

JW113

So I received a replacement set of Mac 1-3/4 pipes, and installed. Nice sound, not so obnoxious like the drag pipes they're replacing. Only issue is they are ceramic coated black. Makes for an awful lot of black on a black motorcycle. Plan to take them up and have them re-coated in silver, like the drags were.

-JW

drifter

November 30, 2018, 10:01:37 PM #14 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:23:09 AM by drifter
JW113 or anybody

I was re reading your post about changing pipes on the Sporty.  Went to Ebay to look around.  My Sporty has black drag pipes, I like the look, haven't started it yet but concerned about what is left of my hearing (and other peoples!) from what I have read.  Ebay has Khrome Werks steel 1-3/4" HP Plus steel insert baffles to quiet the exhaust and add back pressure to remove the flat spot at mid range (my understanding).  A lot less money than new pipes.  I was wondering if you had seen them and or considered something like them before you replaced your drags?   I should add that mine is a 1978 Cafe Racer (in disguise) with a  4-1/4" stroke, radical cams, Sputhe cases, four spark plugs, S&S B carb etc., ex drag bike engine if it makes a difference. TIA  Warren

JW113

Drag pipe baffles will certainly knock the noise down, but I think you'll find it also knocks the power down as well. At the end of the day, drag pipes really only work on the drag strip and not so good around town. Your choice is run open and loud and bumply in the midrange, or use baffles and not so loud and down on power everywhere. The best compromise I found was to put some "lollypops" about 2" from the pipe exit. That seemed to help a little with the flat spot in the mid, but didn't do squat for noise. I love the look of drag pipes also, but for me they are just not worth the headache. Simple muffler pipes sure run a lot better.

good luck,
JW