March 29, 2024, 06:55:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

high compression hard starting 1460 Sporty

Started by Smokin Sam, January 03, 2017, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Sam

Does anyone know of a starter for a Sporty over 1.4kw? I'd like to find a 1.7 for my 1991 89 inch Sporty. It makes a little over 11:1 and groans hard when trying to fire up cold. I've tried 2 stockers and a 1.4 is in it now. The battery cables are brand new and heavy duty and the ground is fresh. This will pull a brand new battery to a stand still after about 4 trys to start. It whirls over fine without plugs in but will barely do a compression check on one hole.  :idunno:
Back tires, Smoke em if you got em!

tmwmoose

What about compression releases you didn't mention having them?

rigidthumper

:agree: What he said! Compression releases are your (starters) friend.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

oranjvoodoo

Yup, that kinda compression is hard on all the starting system parts. Even with a more powerful starter there will be other problems after a short time...IME

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

72fl

I would do compression releases anything over 10-1 it will eliminate the kickback and save your starter. :up:

PineyJoe

I'm with everyone else on this, I had an iron head with ten and a half's and 520 lift cams, kick only, didn't feel a thing, must of had plenty of over lap or what ever but....yeah, what everyone else said  :soda:

Smokin Sam

I had compression releases and they're ok but was wondering about a better starter.

Smokin Sam

This was kind of a funny situation. When this bike first went together as an 89 incher I used to brag that it started like a stocker. After about 4 years it became tough to start. I wonder why the change. Now I've just been mean to it and shaved the heads and I'm using custom .027 copper head gaskets. In my defence I did put S&S 600 cams (and comp release) in it.
:potstir:

tmwmoose

In your last two posts you got me confused  say you "had" them in and the last post you say with the" 600 cams and comp release in" so what is it? Do you have them in and working or not? Sorry I have a dresser and have had oem starters in it working fine even with lots of compression but I use releases and a high amp battery . Most of the starters that came in my shop I repaired and if there was contributing factor for its failure I found it and fixed it. I know lots of places don't do that and just sell a new starter  . I sold a few spike starters and Drag S brand ones and never had any problems with them seems like I use to hear the Midwest brand "Thunder volt" mentioned as a good one and some serious motor builders would mention "Tech products" starters .One other thing is If using a 79.95 special battery made in China your not going any where either a 1.4 , 1.7 or more starter won't do much without a hi quality big amp battery to spin it especially since it sounds like you bumped up your compression some more

Smokin Sam

So here is the deal... I did install comp releases, last winter, cuz I also bumped the compression a bit more with the thinner gaskets. (call me crazy) When I pulled my motor down this year I found some cracks between the compression release holes and the valve seat. There was also a crack going to the plug hole. I kept having troubles with the rear comp release leaking around the threads and those cracks were the reason. I now have new heads out of the box at 10.2:1... (a whole new stroker kit) going together and I am "pondering my options" before assembly. I am running an Interstate battery FAGYZ20H rated at 320 CCA. Can anyone recommend a better one?

Tom Hockenberry

:wtf: that the real part # for that battery ? Fagy ? Lmao.

Tom Hockenberry

Also try a single fire ignition and coil , less amp drew from your battery. :gob:

xlfan

Quote from: Smokin Sam on January 05, 2017, 02:44:54 PM
This was kind of a funny situation. When this bike first went together as an 89 incher I used to brag that it started like a stocker. After about 4 years it became tough to start. I wonder why the change. Now I've just been mean to it and shaved the heads and I'm using custom .027 copper head gaskets. In my defence I did put S&S 600 cams (and comp release) in it.
:potstir:

Are you saying no change had been done to the engine when it hesitated to start after about 4 years? What cams and ignition system was installed at that time?

Smokin Sam

UPDATE This bike has been done "one more time" with compression releases. It is now running 10.8:1 and starts great now. I am running an All Balls starter as well. I have one word.... compressionreleases lol. Thanks all.