April 27, 2024, 06:24:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FSTRK

Quote from: sfmichael on April 03, 2017, 07:21:33 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 03, 2017, 03:20:41 PM
Quote from: NHBAGGER on April 03, 2017, 11:11:05 AM
Hmmm,.....interesting 103 vs 107 overlay.  I'm thinking if that 103 was bumped up to 107 (you know, 107 vs 107) things would be even more interesting.   :potstir:

Just take a look at the HP per CI or TQ per CI at any rpm and you already have a proper comparison.

10-4

put some mildly ported heads on the 103 and she doesn't layover @ 4500 (where the stock heads start running out of air) then the M8's real advantage (killer headflow) is accounted for (a little bit) and it's a tie

The thing that calls out is at this point the Twin cam is making more HP per CI than the M-8 for over half the rpm range and in the last 1000 or so rpm where the M-8 makes more it is only .005 hp per CI. Given that HD states the M-8 flows 50 percent more than the Twin cam, HP/CFM of head flow for the Twin cam is way up there in comparison.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Durwood

The Billet Cat is out for delivery today, it should be here by noon, and I am ready for it when it gets here.
[attach=0]

Durwood

Then it will get this new prototype Cycle Rama 460 cam and another round of exhaust testing.

I would like to mention for those interested, that these Cycle Rama M8 cams have the stock size base circle.
[attach=0]

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

TXChop

I am liking everything about the M8 so far(for the most part), but the dam shape of the cam cover makes my OCD go crazy!!!! lol..

I am excited for the results! Thanks for doing the testing.

Durwood

Here's what the Billet Cat and a some tuning did for it.
[attach=0]

TXChop

No Cents

thanks for sharing!  :up:
It looks good!   :up:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

Damn Daren, outstanding. You have helped a lot of people with your results. Huge gains for a relatively small outlay.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1FSTRK

Your the man :up: :up:
Man did that pipe flatten the tq curve, talk about power every where.
How about putting this latest run on the graph with the other runs in post #89.
I kind of wish I was closer to your shop, I miss all this testing on the new stuff.
Thanks

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 04, 2017, 05:44:46 PM
I kind of wish I was closer to your shop, I miss all this testing on the new stuff.
Thanks
Thanks, and will do on the overlay. I wish you were closer too, I could use a helping hand...Lol
Quote from: Deye76 on April 04, 2017, 04:57:01 PM
Damn Daren, outstanding. You have helped a lot of people with your results. Huge gains for a relatively small outlay.
Thanks John, the way I see it, if this helps someone make an informed decision, that's great! I will say this, that pipe is loud.

sfmichael

Thanks

:agree:

:beer:  great results Daren  :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

I took it for a 20 mile ride today, the pipe isn't as loud as I thought, actually really mild until the wick is lit, then she makes some noise.

The bike runs killer!! I am going to ride it at least this weekend, before I install the other cam.

I can't get the video to load here , but here's a link to it on Facebook, just scroll down, it's the last video posted.

https://www.facebook.com/Sheffer-Performance-HD-LLC-1544666332477222/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

laserp

April 05, 2017, 05:27:57 PM #113 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:57:57 PM by laserp
Quote from: TXCHOP on April 04, 2017, 12:46:52 PM
I am liking everything about the M8 so far(for the most part), but the dam shape of the cam cover makes my OCD go crazy!!!! lol..
I agree TChop. Something ain't right there with that cover!  :wtf:  lol
Keep the M8 data rolling wood!
02 117 Softail/10 Ulta Limited

rredneckn2

If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Durwood

Thanks
Here you go Eric.
[attach=0]

NCTURBOS

Quote from: Durwood on April 04, 2017, 07:10:03 AM
Then it will get this new prototype Cycle Rama 460 cam and another round of exhaust testing.

I would like to mention for those interested, that these Cycle Rama M8 cams have the stock size base circle.

Are they both direct bolt-ins? No spring upgrade or anything else needed??

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Durwood

Quote from: NCTURBOS on April 06, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: Durwood on April 04, 2017, 07:10:03 AM

Are they both direct bolt-ins? No spring upgrade or anything else needed??

K.
Direct bolt in. I have yet to test the 460 but that's coming real soon.

Both of these are prototype's, none available for sale as of yet.

Cams will be available once all of the testing is completed and the all the tweaks are made, then Wes will give the nod on a final production grind.

I have to say that I am very humbled to be involved in this project.

dsvracer

This is the best, and most informative conversation on any of the harley forums.  thanks for sharing so much information.   you are the man.  dvr

sfmichael

Quote from: dsvracer on April 09, 2017, 05:06:07 AM
This is the best, and most informative conversation on any of the harley forums.  thanks for sharing so much information.   you are the man.  dvr

:agree:
Colorado Springs, CO.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on April 06, 2017, 10:03:48 AM
Thanks
Here you go Eric.
[attach=0]

The additional hp in the upper rpm does not surprise me but the improved low end tq from a better flowing pipe says a lot about the over all design. I only wish we could have had this pipe on with the stock cams, it may have shown more low end there as well. With the pipe change we see the power peak 560 rpm sooner compared to the de-cat pipe so we may well be out of cam again.

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 09, 2017, 05:58:32 PM
Thanks
Here you go Eric.
[attach=0]

The additional hp in the upper rpm does not surprise me but the improved low end tq from a better flowing pipe says a lot about the over all design. I only wish we could have had this pipe on with the stock cams, it may have shown more low end there as well. With the pipe change we see the power peak 560 rpm sooner compared to the de-cat pipe so we may well be out of cam again.
Stock cam and Billet cat are still possible.

Sometimes you have to step back to truly see where you are, and where you are going. Herko calls it discipline.

We are also seeing the peak torque move to the left nearly 1000 rpm with the current configuration over the de-cat and the SE mufflers.

Out of cam? Possibly, I have been thinking valve springs, just a thought to ponder.

Dan Vance, thanks for your conformation, it is very much appreciated, these Milwaukee Eight's are a different animal for sure and my goal is to be ahead of the curve when they are out of warranty and to have the "go to" cam for a stage 2 107.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on April 09, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
Thanks
Here you go Eric.
[attach=0]

Sometimes you have to step back to truly see where you are, and where you are going. Herko calls it discipline.

We are also seeing the peak torque move to the left nearly 1000 rpm with the current configuration over the de-cat and the SE mufflers.

Out of cam? Possibly, I have been thinking valve springs, just a thought to ponder.

Dan Vance, thanks for your conformation, it is very much appreciated, these Milwaukee Eight's are a different animal for sure and my goal is to be ahead of the curve when they are out of warranty and to have the "go to" cam for a stage 2 107.

I mentioned the early tq in the first sentence, what about the difference in the two exhausts do you attribute the torque to?

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 09, 2017, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Durwood on April 09, 2017, 06:40:33 PM
Thanks
Here you go Eric.
[attach=0]

I mentioned the early tq in the first sentence, what about the difference in the two exhausts do you attribute the torque to?
Primary tube length. I have spoken with different exhaust designers and they are seeing the same thing on the M8.

Sunny Jim