April 28, 2024, 09:49:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durwood

Quote from: yobtaf103 on March 03, 2018, 02:07:30 PM
Great work Daren, like the look of the RS468 in tests so far.
re- Joes 475 do you think the billet cat 2-1 would bring the left side up & hold on ?
The Billet Cat could very well do just that, it has improved the left side of the graph on every other cam I have tried it on.

Only one way to find out. :teeth:

ZippersPerformance.com

Very nice Daren.  Just shows the great results that can be had when you spend the time to tune it and use a quality pipe.  :up:

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on March 03, 2018, 07:28:08 AM
Thanks Eric. I agree on the cam development as well, the S&S 475 is a good example of what you said, it gives on the left but makes gains on the right as shown in Joe's latest dyno graph.

Some added compression and head work would really make that cam shine IMO.

Wes is going to do a set of heads for me when he gets caught up, and I may try them on the 107 with a new Cycle-Rama cam that will be available soon, before going bigger on the cubes.

R&D is fun, but sure does lighten the wallet..Lol.

This has long been the big question in the testing world because trying different cams back to back in an engine in totally stock form as you have shown will give you the best stage two bolt-in setup. It does not show what each cam is capable of doing with a particular head/port configuration on a given engine displacement when the compression is optimized.  I have talked with Vic about this before and the best scenario IMHO is if the cam install is intended as a stepping stone to a later build then bolt it in and tune it.  I ride with many people that have had more than one bike and have never gone beyond stage two so for them I say skip the heavier adjustable pushrods, and pull the heads to optimize the compression for that bolt in cam to get the most bang out of the total package. As explained in their video Zippers did a great job of studying the stock engine configuration and designing the cam to work with it's strong points and short comings.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Durwood

Quote from: ZippersPerformance.com on March 05, 2018, 12:04:06 PM
Very nice Daren.  Just shows the great results that can be had when you spend the time to tune it and use a quality pipe.  :up:
Thank you..

woodreaux

HarleyTechTalk Forums » Technical Forums » Milwaukee-Eight » Post reply (  Re: Milwaukee Eight testing. )
Re: Milwaukee Eight testing.

Stopped by Sheffer Performance today and got an invitation to test ride the latest creative combo Daren has assembled on his M8.

Combination included the following:
Red shift 468 cam
D&D's Billet cat header
Rush wrath exhaust pipe 2.5" baffle
Heavy breather
Barnett Clutch springs
Stock heads
Full tank of gas - ha ha

Awesome combo in short form.  The exhaust signature and cam lope was in my ears very similar to the SE 204 - a favorite of mine.  Distinctive and strong. 

To help move the exhaust front to back the  D&D Billet cat craftily fitted with a Wrath exhaust pipe which was -not - obnoxious or over bearing when rolling through the Rpm's.

Throttle  response was crisp and snappy - very responsive with excellent  low speed manners. This combination pulls like a while not killing your ears.

With the Rush Wrath exhaust pipe one would be able to choose the baffle they would like - Daren had a 2.5" diameter installed and there  may be plans for a 2.25" baffle.  I would like to try the 2.25" baffle.

Bottom line - this combination is impressive.  I have no idea what the dyno numbers are and frankly don't care to know. Damn thing is seriously impressive.

Final thoughts are: awesome through the gears, great manners in slow speed maneuvers, excellent exhaust note and most of all - sounds like a Harley.

For the record- I stopped by to talk about my 13 Road Glide Ultra tuning issue and a future project of installing a 114 or 117 in my M8. For me - I can confidently say the above combination would and will satisfy my touring bike requirements. 

woodreaux

woodreaux

Durwood

Greg, it was nice to put a face with a name, the next time your in town we will hit Turoni's for a pizza and a pitcher. :beer:

1FSTRK

Did I just read that Darren has a Heavy breather, any testing with it yet?

woodreaux

Just saw the 468 dyno on page 10.
Very impressive curve however you can't ride paper.
Having rode the bike and then see the dyno sheet- I agree with what wrote.
It pulls like a ... Fright train and sounds awesome.

Note:
the dyno sheet identifies the breather as a Stealth AC with large element.
I have no idea who makes it.
My mistake - if it's not round it's just an ugly sucker in my book.

yobtaf103

Quote from: woodreaux on April 20, 2018, 07:40:18 PM
HarleyTechTalk Forums » Technical Forums » Milwaukee-Eight » Post reply (  Re: Milwaukee Eight testing. )
Re: Milwaukee Eight testing.

Stopped by Sheffer Performance today and got an invitation to test ride the latest creative combo Daren has assembled on his M8.

Combination included the following:
Red shift 468 cam
D&D's Billet cat header
Rush wrath exhaust pipe 2.5" baffle
Heavy breather
Barnett Clutch springs
Stock heads
Full tank of gas - ha ha

Awesome combo in short form.  The exhaust signature and cam lope was in my ears very similar to the SE 204 - a favorite of mine.  Distinctive and strong. 

To help move the exhaust front to back the  D&D Billet cat craftily fitted with a Wrath exhaust pipe which was -not - obnoxious or over bearing when rolling through the Rpm's.

Throttle  response was crisp and snappy - very responsive with excellent  low speed manners. This combination pulls like a while not killing your ears.

With the Rush Wrath exhaust pipe one would be able to choose the baffle they would like - Daren had a 2.5" diameter installed and there  may be plans for a 2.25" baffle.  I would like to try the 2.25" baffle.

Bottom line - this combination is impressive.  I have no idea what the dyno numbers are and frankly don't care to know. Damn thing is seriously impressive.

Final thoughts are: awesome through the gears, great manners in slow speed maneuvers, excellent exhaust note and most of all - sounds like a Harley.

For the record- I stopped by to talk about my 13 Road Glide Ultra tuning issue and a future project of installing a 114 or 117 in my M8. For me - I can confidently say the above combination would and will satisfy my touring bike requirements.

Thanks for your appraisal, good to hear how it performs on the road as well ,great work Daren

Durwood

I purchased an S&S 124" kit for my 107 Milwaukee Eight test bike, but I had a friend that wanted it, so I installed it on his instead.

His 2018 FLTRXS had a dealer installed 114" stage 4 kit, and we swapped out the pistons/cylinders, along with adding a Bandit clutch and SE Heavy Breather, then retuned.

I have been playing with different mufflers over the last couple of days and here's what it did.

Keep in mind that this is with an out of the box set of SE CNC heads, and SE 64mm TB.
[attach=0]

Buglet

That's looking good. Do you have a baseline run with the stage 4 kit. 

Durwood

Quote from: BUGLET on November 03, 2018, 12:53:02 PM
   That's looking good. Do you have a baseline run with the stage 4 kit.
Thanks. Here it is.
[attach=0]

Buglet

Thanks. That is a real nice improvement.

PoorUB

The Street Cannons do well up to 3K then the other slip ons take over up to 4500. Did you run it on the street? My bet the Street Cannons felt the best for general riding.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

yobtaf103

Thanks, 1st chart  for a 124 kit i've seen

sfmichael

cool Daren...will your bike be this same recipe?  :pop:
Colorado Springs, CO.

rigidthumper

Hey D, can you show the same 3 runs with AUC? I'm curious if the Street Cannons beat the FM Street Outlaws.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1FSTRK

:up: :up: Great stuff Daren, thanks for post it.

What I find interesting is normally exhaust that gives up bottom end tq will reward with top end hp. In this test we may have something else working as the governor because all three power curves match from 5100 rpm up. It could be cam but a muffler switch will usually help a cam some on top just like it hurts it on the bottom. What air cleaner was used?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1FSTRK

Durwood

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 05:25:04 AM
Hey D, can you show the same 3 runs with AUC? I'm curious if the Street Cannons beat the FM Street Outlaws.
Sure Robin.
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 06:33:08 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 06:03:07 AM
SE Heavy Breather

That maybe the governor right there.

After conversing with people in the know, we have determined that the SE heads are the choke point.

The CR-530 cam has been in several 140+ hp builds, and I pulled the AC element and didn't really gain anything other than more tuning time.

This R&D is fun, and we have only begun to scratch the surface.

Durwood

Quote from: PoorUB on November 03, 2018, 02:22:23 PM
The Street Cannons do well up to 3K then the other slip ons take over up to 4500. Did you run it on the street? My bet the Street Cannons felt the best for general riding.
UB, I haven't ridden it, only on the dyno trying some different mufflers.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on November 04, 2018, 06:55:45 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2018, 06:33:08 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 04, 2018, 06:03:07 AM
SE Heavy Breather

That maybe the governor right there.

After conversing with people in the know, we have determined that the SE heads are the choke point.

The CR-530 cam has been in several 140+ hp builds, and I pulled the AC element and didn't really gain anything other than more tuning time.

This R&D is fun, and we have only begun to scratch the surface.

Interesting, it has been the general consensuses that those cnc heads flow in the 340-350 cfm range, more than enough to support 150 hp with a proper set-up. I wonder if they may require some cam testing and development along the lines of what Redshift did with the stock castings.