March 28, 2024, 12:15:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderrat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Don D

They are an odd duck however. Add a larger TB and you would expect a handsome gain. Not always the case. And ported heads, they should scale right up but again not always so. Darren and Steve, good job on the testing and great results.

sfmichael

Quote from: Durwood on March 29, 2019, 05:26:48 AM
Made a little time for a cam swap and tune on Blue this week. Kept the stock heads and throttle body in the interest of changing one thing at a time. This is with the CR-470.

It still has that snap off the bottom that it had but now carries farther and stronger.

Can't wait to get a TB on it to see where the curve goes from there.

Here's the cam specs.

Intake   open 16  Close 40  .470 lift  102LC   236 duration

Ex.    Open 60   Close 14   .460 lift  113LC  254 duration

30 degree over lap  107.5LSA

[attach=0,msg1289592]

boy, that's quite an improvement  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Ronbo2

Quote from: Durwood on March 03, 2018, 02:54:06 AM
[attach=0,msg1216172]
Click on graphs, then maximize for full size image.

Darren, I'm new to the site and am really impressed with the all the work and great data you're posting.  :up: After much research I decided on the WM8-22X for my 107 freewheeler which will be installed this Tuesday.  Seeing this comparsion chart I'm starting to second guess my choice, but I don't think I'll be disappointed getting rid of the stock cam.  Have arlen ness big sucker and CFRs with my power vision.   Thanks again for your work... wish I lived a lot closer!   

Freedom1974

Quote from: Durwood on March 29, 2019, 05:26:48 AM
Made a little time for a cam swap and tune on Blue this week. Kept the stock heads and throttle body in the interest of changing one thing at a time. This is with the CR-470.

It still has that snap off the bottom that it had but now carries farther and stronger.

Can't wait to get a TB on it to see where the curve goes from there.

Here's the cam specs.

Intake   open 16  Close 40  .470 lift  102LC   236 duration

Ex.    Open 60   Close 14   .460 lift  113LC  254 duration

30 degree over lap  107.5LSA

[attach=0,msg1289592]
Yep that is going to be a lot of fun !  Cant wait !

Durwood

I got an opportunity to test another cam in my 124 and I really like it. This is with stock heads and throttle body.

[attach=0]

HD/Wrench

out at 4700 do you think that is Ex ?? Or has the pipe stayed the same and cam swap ? Reason I ask is several of the Comp cams I have tested  had an odd section in the curve .

Durwood

Here is my 124 with the new CR-482 cam, stock heads and throttle body. SE 64 will be the next step, then install the WFO Larry heads.

[attach=0]

Wasted4E

Really enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of great information being shared.
I hope theres more to come

sfmichael

So you've had several cams in this motor - do you have a favorite?   :scoot:
Colorado Springs, CO.

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: Durwood on November 15, 2019, 08:57:06 AM
Here is my 124 with the new CR-482 cam, stock heads and throttle body. SE 64 will be the next step, then install the WFO Larry heads.

[attach=0,msg1323056]

When do you plan on testing this with the SE 64?  Will Be interesting to see the gain.  When do you plan to add the WFO Larry heads and test again.  Should be really nice.  Cant wait to see results of both.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Durwood

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 15, 2020, 05:34:05 AM
Quote from: Durwood on November 15, 2019, 08:57:06 AM

[attach=0,msg1323056]

When do you plan on testing this with the SE 64?  Will Be interesting to see the gain.  When do you plan to add the WFO Larry heads and test again.  Should be really nice.  Cant wait to see results of both.
The heads are here, the 64 is on the way. This will be done in a 2-3 day period very soon.

Durwood

Put the Ol girl through a workout this morning and tuned it with the 64mm SE throttle body and the SE Extreme-Flow manifold.

WFO heads are next.
[attach=0]

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: Durwood on January 18, 2020, 09:57:13 AM
Put the Ol girl through a workout this morning and tuned it with the 64mm SE throttle body and the SE Extreme-Flow manifold.

WFO heads are next.
[attach=0,msg1330662]

Nice improvement, looks good, and a good torque curve.  Can't wait to see it with the WFO heads.  What compression are you set at?  Keep up the good work.

Durwood

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 19, 2020, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Durwood on January 18, 2020, 09:57:13 AM

WFO heads are next.
[attach=0,msg1330662]

Nice improvement, looks good, and a good torque curve.  Can't wait to see it with the WFO heads.  What compression are you set at?  Keep up the good work.
11:1 Tuanks

No Cents

thanks for all the step by step testing your doing and posting the results as you go. True unbias testing. You couldn't ask for more.  :up:
   I can't wait to see what the difference is after the head change.   :smilep:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

sfmichael

Quote from: No Cents on January 19, 2020, 06:31:44 AM
  thanks for all the step by step testing your doing and posting the results as you go. True unbias testing. You couldn't ask for more.  :up:
   I can't wait to see what the difference is after the head change.
  :smilep:

:agree:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

Quote from: sfmichael on December 24, 2019, 11:34:17 AM
So you've had several cams in this motor - do you have a favorite?   :scoot:
I really like the CR-482 that is currently in it.

Honestly, the feel on the bottom isn't much different than with a shorter cam that blew the torque up early. I guess because there is no way to use all of it without blowing the tire off.

Now instead of hitting the wall early it keeps on pulling to the rev limiter.

Durwood

Here it is with Larry's heads.
[attach=0]

kd

KD

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
[attach=0,msg1331307]

Very nice.  I think you may be right about it not torque not going up imeldatalty, may still be all you can use coming out of the hole.  The ones with instant torque seem to blow through the back tire.  I like that it just seem to keep pulling and pulling.  Good work, nice to see gains of each step.

Really looking hard at using this cam in my 130 build with 12.1 compression.  Should have CCP around 228.  Should be good to ride cross country.

Durwood

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 24, 2020, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
[attach=0,msg1331307]

Very nice.  I think you may be right about it not torque not going up imeldatalty, may still be all you can use coming out of the hole.  The ones with instant torque seem to blow through the back tire.  I like that it just seem to keep pulling and pulling.  Good work, nice to see gains of each step.

Really looking hard at using this cam in my 130 build with 12.1 compression.  Should have CCP around 228.  Should be good to ride cross country.
228 is on the lower end of the ccp spectrum for these. I would have changed pistons while I had the heads off but it would have skewed the results of the one part at a time testing method.

My ccp is only 200.

kd

Do you have any plans to do pistons and up the cap?  It's still kinda hard to get my head around the difference in manageable compression on these engines compared to the TC 2 valve head.
KD