March 28, 2024, 10:16:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight testing.

Started by Durwood, January 12, 2017, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderrat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Durwood

Quote from: kd on January 24, 2020, 01:31:07 PM
Do you have any plans to do pistons and up the cap?  It's still kinda hard to get my head around the difference in manageable compression on these engines compared to the TC 2 valve head.
Yes, in the future I plan to bump the compression. I have customer builds that are cranking 240-250 without issue.

I would like to get mine up there to see what it would do.  :fish:

kd

KD

No Cents

January 24, 2020, 05:07:58 PM #327 Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:17:32 PM by No Cents
     hot digity dog!  :up:
your on your way now. The power is there now...with no doubt more coming.
Are you going to try a few different cams with the wfolarry heads?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

BigT

Do you happen to have the specs on the CR-482 cam?

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 01:20:57 PM
Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 24, 2020, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
Here it is with Larry's heads.
[attach=0,msg1331307]

Very nice.  I think you may be right about it not torque not going up imeldatalty, may still be all you can use coming out of the hole.  The ones with instant torque seem to blow through the back tire.  I like that it just seem to keep pulling and pulling.  Good work, nice to see gains of each step.

Really looking hard at using this cam in my 130 build with 12.1 compression.  Should have CCP around 228.  Should be good to ride cross country.
228 is on the lower end of the ccp spectrum for these. I would have changed pistons while I had the heads off but it would have skewed the results of the one part at a time testing method.

My ccp is only 200.

My goal is that I can ride the build cross country and not worry about the gas west of the Mississippi, some times 89 octane is the best you can get.  I'm usually a high mile rider, over 20K miles a year.  This has steered my away from cams with rapid lift of close, want to be easy on valve train.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Durwood

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 25, 2020, 04:59:53 AM
Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 01:20:57 PM
Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 24, 2020, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: Durwood on January 24, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
Here it is with Larry's heads.
[attach=0,msg1331307]

Very nice.  I think you may be right about it not torque not going up imeldatalty, may still be all you can use coming out of the hole.  The ones with instant torque seem to blow through the back tire.  I like that it just seem to keep pulling and pulling.  Good work, nice to see gains of each step.

Really looking hard at using this cam in my 130 build with 12.1 compression.  Should have CCP around 228.  Should be good to ride cross country.
228 is on the lower end of the ccp spectrum for these. I would have changed pistons while I had the heads off but it would have skewed the results of the one part at a time testing method.

My ccp is only 200.

My goal is that I can ride the build cross country and not worry about the gas west of the Mississippi, some times 89 octane is the best you can get.  I'm usually a high mile rider, over 20K miles a year.  This has steered my away from cams with rapid lift of close, want to be easy on valve train.
All of the CR cams that I use are very quiet and work well with stock springs.

Durwood

Quote from: Durwood on January 23, 2020, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on December 24, 2019, 11:34:17 AM
So you've had several cams in this motor - do you have a favorite?   :scoot:
I really like the CR-482 that is currently in it.

Honestly, the feel on the bottom isn't much different than with a shorter cam that blew the torque up early. I guess because there is no way to use all of it without blowing the tire off.

Now instead of hitting the wall early it keeps on pulling to the rev limiter.
To add to my statement. I am not dissing the early torque cam at all.

Rolling on effortlessly on the interstate in 6th gear, plus the awesome feel it has riding the two lane roads. It's definitely a pleasure to ride when in that configuration.

Sunny Jim

Do you have a spec for the 482?

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on January 27, 2020, 03:06:46 PM
Do you have a spec for the 482?
Int.  480 17/49  246 dur 106 lc
            Exh. 470 61.5/13.5 255 dur  114 lc

Durwood

Quote from: No Cents on January 24, 2020, 05:07:58 PM
     hot digity dog!  :up:
your on your way now. The power is there now...with no doubt more coming.
Are you going to try a few different cams with the wfolarry heads?
Yes. It may be a bit, mostly because I want to ride it some before I take it back apart.

Jmd897

Can somebody post the compression these cams should be set at?   I know some cams run better than others and it would probably help everyone in making decisions based on what they currently have or future setup.

No Cents

I was just curious if you were going to try anything else from the stage your currently sitting at. I'd ride the piss out of it the way it sits right now.  :SM:  Looking at the latest dyno sheet, it shows me the bike pulls like a freight train "smoothly" all the way up thru the rpm band with the current cam. It almost looks like a pro-charged engine dyno sheet by the way it's pulling.  :up:  I'm sure you could get a cam that would deliver more torque off the bottom...but does anyone really need any more torque if your riding it on the street.  :nix:  It will no doubt melt the rear tire right now as it sits...if you wanted to. 
   I'm impressed with it.     :chop:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Durwood

Quote from: Jmd897 on January 28, 2020, 07:53:33 AM
Can somebody post the compression these cams should be set at?   I know some cams run better than others and it would probably help everyone in making decisions based on what they currently have or future setup.
It is currently 11.2:1. CCP is only 200. There is more in it with a compression increase.

Quote from: No Cents on January 28, 2020, 07:54:34 AM
   I was just curious if you were going to try anything else from the stage your currently sitting at. I'd ride the piss out of it the way it sits right now.  :SM:  Looking at the latest dyno sheet, it shows me the bike pulls like a freight train "smoothly" all the way up thru the rpm band with the current cam. It almost looks like a pro-charged engine dyno sheet by the way it's pulling.  :up:  I'm sure you could get a cam that would deliver more torque off the bottom...but does anyone really need any more torque if your riding it on the street.  :nix:  It will no doubt melt the rear tire right now as it sits...if you wanted to. 
   I'm impressed with it.     :chop:
A D&D Billet Cat will raise the left side of the graph

I have witnessed it in every configuration.

As far as cams go, Wes is already working on another for me to test. We will see where it goes from here. :SM:

Durwood

Here is how it shook out. Stock heads and TB. Stock heads with SE 64 TB. Ported heads with SE 64.
[attach=0]

sfmichael

great info and testing - thanks  :up: :beer:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Buglet

Looks like if you are driving normal it's not worth porting. Good work.

Durwood

Quote from: Buglet on February 12, 2020, 05:20:40 AM
  Looks like if you are driving normal it's not worth porting. Good work.
Thanks. Yes, 135tq/145hp with stock heads is great.

kcbike

Is the crank stock ? Curious of how many Dyno runs and overall miles

Durwood

Quote from: kcbike on March 17, 2020, 04:43:58 AM
Is the crank stock ? Curious of how many Dyno runs and overall miles
Stock crank. 13,000 total miles and probably 5k of those on the dyno. 3k miles on the 124 kit.

kcbike

Very nice...your methodical testing is greatly appreciated. Casey

Durwood

Quote from: kcbike on March 17, 2020, 06:02:05 PM
You're welcome. Herko devised the bulk of the steps that are shown in this thread and I really thank him for keeping me disciplined during all of this.

While we were testing on the 107" stage 2 level, I saw the big bore builds starting to come out and was very tempted to make a wrong turn but remained on course.

I am forever thankful for the extensive data that we were able to collect during this process which began early in 2017.

There will be more testing with added compression, exhaust and cams in the not too distant future.

Daren

cheech

Quote from: Durwood on January 28, 2020, 08:44:27 AM

You had that on prior to the Fuelmoto Crossover setup if I followed right?
Will the Billet Cat also carry out the right also?  Myabe gain?  TIA  :up:

sfmichael

Quote from: Durwood on March 18, 2020, 06:42:51 AM
Quote from: kcbike on March 17, 2020, 06:02:05 PM
You're welcome. Herko devised the bulk of the steps that are shown in this thread and I really thank him for keeping me disciplined during all of this.

While we were testing on the 107" stage 2 level, I saw the big bore builds starting to come out and was very tempted to make a wrong turn but remained on course.

I am forever thankful for the extensive data that we were able to collect during this process which began early in 2017.

There will be more testing with added compression, exhaust and cams in the not too distant future
[/b].

Daren

:up: :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Durwood

Quote from: cheech on March 18, 2020, 09:45:41 AM

Currently, I am of the opinion that the current D&D offering is finished at 150 horsepower SAE.

cheech

Quote from: Durwood on March 18, 2020, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: cheech on March 18, 2020, 09:45:41 AM

Currently, I am of the opinion that the current D&D offering is finished at 150 horsepower SAE.
So then what? Burns? Any others?