March 28, 2024, 06:42:47 AM

News:

Pie slice caliper

Started by rider7816, January 16, 2017, 05:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

Well, I had a leaking front caliper on my 1977 xlh.  Turned out to be a pin sized leak on the piston seal.  No big deal right??? Just pull the piston, clean it up and reinstall new seals.  Oddly enough, that's just house easy it was, UNTIL MY BIG FAT FINGERS CROSS THREAEDED THE HYDRAULIC LINE!!

What really bothers me is just how easy it seemed to thread in.  I tried to retap with my pipe thread tap but its still leaking bad.

I guess I have two questions..  One,,, Is it possible to use helicoil in this situation?

2,, If not, does anyone have a spare front caliper lying around they would like to sell??

Frank

Panzer

Not sure if a helicoil will work, but at this point I'd give it a try, what do you have to loose?

Now, before you go installing a helicoil, have you tried Teflon tape on the threads?
Just a suggestion.

Sorry, I don't have a caliper.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

JW113

I don't think I'd try a helicoil. Maybe drill it out and retap for a larger pipe thread, and use a fitting adapter from pipe thread to inverted flair?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

rider7816

Quote from: Panzer on January 16, 2017, 08:15:56 AM
Not sure if a helicoil will work, but at this point I'd give it a try, what do you have to loose?

Now, before you go installing a helicoil, have you tried Teflon tape on the threads?
Just a suggestion.

Sorry, I don't have a caliper.

I guess you are right, what do I have to lose at this point??  I didn't think of trying Teflon tape.  I don't really want to rig this thing for safety reasons but I guess I could try it..

Now the question is if I cant fix it, Do I find a good used pie slice caliper, a new aftermarket one, or spend a butt load and go with the GMA conversion?  This bike is just a cruiser and I honestly found this original brake caliper set up to be more than enough stopping power (maybe Im just lucky).

Thanks

Frank

Wicked

That hole if I remember correctly, is not an NPT, but  an inverted flare, so it's now toast. Since you have nothing to loose, drill the hole and tap properly for a NPT, either 1/4" or 3/8". Then you could use a combination of adaptors to get you back to the required female flare fitting
for your brake line.

Panzer

I know how you feel about jury rigging.
With that said, I think you know what you have to do........ yes, a good used unit or an after market.
Spend a little and be safe.

If you go the jury rigged way (I know you won't) make the horn louder should the brakes fail.  :crook:

Let us know what you come up with.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

garyajaz

in the tiny town of flornce az, maybe 30 years ago was riding my ol iron.
the front brake sorta stopped working and things were wet.
looked down and the line had pulled out of threads.
the threads just pulled, age? metal fatigue whatever.
  not like I just did any work on them or anything.

so knowing the rear brake at its best is a bad joke. I attempted  to "fix" it.
stopped at the gas station in town. tried to tighten and saw problem. bought a tube of jb weld.
sorta threaded it back in put a nice 1/4 " bead around fitting. all good.
couple hours later after walking around ol town.  I rode off.
every time I change tires or brake shoes or polish fork legs I look at that "fix"
never a drop and it works.  yes I have  another part in stock. just waiting to see how long this road side fix worked.
lol

but other than  a replacement part, I think JW and Wicked might have the best idea.

rider7816

Quote from: garyajaz on January 18, 2017, 12:52:41 PM
in the tiny town of flornce az, maybe 30 years ago was riding my ol iron.
the front brake sorta stopped working and things were wet.
looked down and the line had pulled out of threads.
the threads just pulled, age? metal fatigue whatever.
  not like I just did any work on them or anything.

so knowing the rear brake at its best is a bad joke. I attempted  to "fix" it.
stopped at the gas station in town. tried to tighten and saw problem. bought a tube of jb weld.
sorta threaded it back in put a nice 1/4 " bead around fitting. all good.
couple hours later after walking around ol town.  I rode off.
every time I change tires or brake shoes or polish fork legs I look at that "fix"
never a drop and it works.  yes I have  another part in stock. just waiting to see how long this road side fix worked.
lol

but other than  a replacement part, I think JW and Wicked might have the best idea.

Well,  I folded and picked up a brand new tube of JB weld "marine version".  In case, you haven't seen that version before, it is like regular JB Weld but it is chemical and petroleum resistant with something like 3950 psi strength.  I tapped the hole for the new adapter, cleaned up everything and glued the sum bitch in there.  I guess you could say its rigged, but Im gonna call it a temporarily permanent installation. :)

Frank

Burnout

January 23, 2017, 06:00:49 PM #8 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:03:28 PM by Burnout
I believe you can machine JB Weld. I like to convert the stupid flare fitting to a banjo, no more leaky! You can't do a stock hose then but it's all good if you're not doing a points resto.

Drill & tap it deeper same thread as flare. Then spot face it.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

rider7816

Here is an update on the repair of my caliper.  STILL NO LEAKS!  I still would have liked to replace the caliper with an OE caliper, but finding a non Chinese version in good shape is getting had to come by.

Im happy that it worked out.  Basically I ended up "resleeving" the original caliper with a brass adaptor so I can retain the original brake line fitting design.

Frnak

garyajaz

"STILL NO LEAKS"

lol  let me know in 30 years...
I do have stainless braded brake line though.