May 09, 2024, 09:01:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacement SE heads

Started by Hossamania, January 22, 2017, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BUBBIE

Another  :pop:

Working on Friends bikes OR just to Change their minds is a TOUGH Spot to be in...

Run Hoss RUN...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

flstffxe

Mostly a lurker but, I read the first post and instantly knew this had to be Tony Perkins from Motorcycle Machine/The Bore House....

Once picking up a set of cylinders for a shop from him that they had hI'm bore/hone. One cylinder had tell tale signs the boring bar insert broke & cut a deep spiral gouge on the way out. He honed it & tried to pass it off as OK. The shop never used him again. I've yet to see a good tune on a EFI come from him.

Hossamania

His shop wasn't that good with carberators, either. His flunky did mine, I wasn't impressed, Tony said that's as good as a CV44 can get, I asked about timing with the DTT, said he couldn't change it, that I should ride it and adjust the dials to try and dial it in better.
I was less than impressed.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

The Boar House website now comes up as the Rumble House.

BJB

Eric I was staying away from being specific but it is out there. The Rumble House, so far as i know, is two guys that are tucked in south of 85th & east of MN 65, kind of behind Dr Mudspringers. Walked in there once after going to the bank right by them. Good looking RK for sale out on their sidewalk caught my eye. I was less than impressed and price was crazy high on the bike too. I see Boar House comes up on a search in a different location. I hope it works out for your friend but if not Tim Wolfe does good work in Princeton. Rick Ward is east & a little south of Zimmerman. Those Dyno Guys are in Zimmerman but one of the guys who rides our 2W4H ride barely got hid bike out from them last June. I have looked at their shop & it is clean & one of the boys  was a machinist before opening their shop.
NE Cycle is off University on the east side  service road in Fridley. They treated me well when Jay & his partner where in Isanti.

Hossamania

Thanks for that info, I was also trying to be cryptic. Two different sites came up for the shop, the second defaulted to the Rumblehouse. I don't know if tony is or was there. It sounded like he was working out of another shop after his closed, I'm assuming it was there for a while. Not sure where he is now. I was pretty sure Ward did dyno tuning, and I told my buddy about them. Thanks for the other leads. I am just going to keep trying to walk away from this.

BJB

Ward had his dyno down at Route 65 for the Route's bike show. They were having issues with it there, No tuning, just pulls for bragging rights.
I understand wanting to stay out of it. I would too.
Hope to see you this spring around and if not we have the 2W4H ride the 1st Sat. in June.

05fatboy95

Quote from: Hossamania on January 22, 2017, 08:16:09 PM
Quote from: BJB on January 22, 2017, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 22, 2017, 05:37:27 PM
We'll see what happens. I'll keep everyone informed.

Did Tony used to have a shop just south of 35W, off old Hyw 8 &move to a place south of 85th Ave & a block east of 65?
If so where is his new place because I will not go close to it. Bad Karma just may radiate out.

His shop used to be in Lexington a few years ago. Same guy I believe. Don't know where the new shop is, I didn't ask.
I know that same Tony, been there, done that and never ever again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05fatboy95

Because of Tony I will only let BVHOG tune any bike I touch or I won't work on it. The rules of my garage. (Friends and family bikes I work on).

I could list about 10 people who he screwed including myself.

Short story, my first bike I bring to him with a set of cams (tw50 bought from a member here) and I wanted them installed, ported heads and a tune...

I pick the bike up and pay for it ( 3 weeks later then expected cause delays) and he says "wow that turned out nice number which cams were those?"

He did everything and never even checked what the cams were.  And at the time I was to much a noob to know any better.

Numbers were good but ran like crap. Pulled the heads and they were fugly inside. Per new head porter.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: tomcat64 on January 23, 2017, 12:21:05 PM
once and a while you have to stand back and allow your friends, or family to pay some stupid tax.. it's how they learn.. (ask my kids)
Great words to live by. Hoss I'd just tell him or warn him one last time, and then you've done your duty and you keep the friend 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

I don't have to warn him anymore, he knows. Says this is the last time, he's only letting him swap heads because he screwed them up to begin with.
Which, to me, is the reason to NOT let him do anything. Take the new cores and take them to someone else. But, I hope this works out and doesn't turn into a final painful lesson. I have my doubts.

BVHOG

Let me guess, this "Tony" is kind of a rotund fella?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Hossamania

Kinda, and not a lot of hair....

koko3052

Gee Hoss...looks like that could be you! :hyst:

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on January 25, 2017, 03:01:48 PM
Gee Hoss...looks like that could be you! :hyst:

Kinda.     Wait....   What?

05fatboy95

Quote from: BVHOG on January 25, 2017, 02:57:00 PM
Let me guess, this "Tony" is kind of a rotund fella?
We have talked about him before, and Bob D knows of his work also.

N-gin

:doh:

I would not have him touch it. Free heads and work or not.
Go to pay to play nothing is free. If he was paid for a job and didnt do it well I would have to see what he does payin for it.
Cut your losses take the heads and go somewhere else.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

flh canuck

I would tend to agree. Tell your buddy to cut his losses, take the bare heads and run, don't walk, in the opposite direction till he can find a reputable wrench.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

Hossamania

He's not going to to take the new heads and run because he feels that tony needs to make it right on his own dime. He's going to stand on principle and common sense be damned.
I will let very one know how this circus show is going to turn out. It is going to be at least 8 to 12 weeks before he can start riding it, as it is winter and he will not be riding anytime soon.
But I am, gearing up right now for a 25° ride.

PoorUB

Ya just gotta wonder, what else can he screw up replacing the heads?! :emoGroan:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on January 29, 2017, 10:45:29 AM
Ya just gotta wonder, what else can he screw up replacing the heads?! :emoGroan:

I have tried to diplomatically tell him to just cut his losses and to find another shop. He has said that after this, for sure he will. We will see what happens if this too turns into another screw up by good old tony. I have a feeling he will make him fix that problem too, because, you know, it's free.
I think what he really needs to do is go to another shop, get everything fixed properly, and take him to small claims court to recover the costs.

05fatboy95

Tell him to make the trip to BVhOG!  It's worth the drive. I get out there semi often so if transportation is an issue we can figure something out. Only use a place or two in the 4place trailer anyways