March 28, 2024, 02:22:08 AM

News:

Shift shaft replacement!

Started by codyshop, February 07, 2017, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

Knocked over and shift shaft broke just outside the left hand case.  It looks like there's an outer snap ring, seal and inner snap ring and the shaft just pulls out according to the parts manual.  Anything to watch such as timing or pawls/dogs dropping inside?  Thanks!

rbabos

Quote from: codyshop on February 07, 2017, 08:23:25 PM
Knocked over and shift shaft broke just outside the left hand case.  It looks like there's an outer snap ring, seal and inner snap ring and the shaft just pulls out according to the parts manual.  Anything to watch such as timing or pawls/dogs dropping inside?  Thanks!

What year? Running change in mid 04 is when they got replacement friendly. Early ones 02-04  it was a 50/50 deal if you could pull the shaft and shove in the new one. Those, I'd be throwing the bike on it's right side to give me better odds.  If not, the case needed to be split. Later ones, no big deal since they relocated the internal spring so the actuator doesn't fall down . Should be a straight pull out the old and shove in the new one. No special alignment needed. Snap ring, seal and about a 5 minute job.
Ron

TXChop

Quote from: rbabos on February 08, 2017, 05:39:04 AM
Quote from: codyshop on February 07, 2017, 08:23:25 PM

What year? Running change in mid 04 is when they got replacement friendly. Early ones 02-04  it was a 50/50 deal if you could pull the shaft and shove in the new one. Those, I'd be throwing the bike on it's right side to give me better odds.  If not, the case needed to be split. Later ones, no big deal since they relocated the internal spring so the actuator doesn't fall down . Should be a straight pull out the old and shove in the new one. No special alignment needed. Snap ring, seal and about a 5 minute job.
Ron
:agree:
I have done 2, one each way.

codyshop

Thanks for the help!  Much appreciated.