March 28, 2024, 03:46:48 AM

News:

valve clearence

Started by To The Max, February 09, 2017, 03:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To The Max

Hi, can anyone tell me what the min and max valve clearences are for my 2012 v rod please. Max

rbabos

February 09, 2017, 07:38:12 AM #1 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:58:34 PM by rbabos
Take a look at this. Saves me from going to the shop and looking it up. Clearances are the same all through the years.
http://www.motorcycleinstitute.tk/harley-davidson-5-rod-hd-vrsca/valve-lash.html
Most likely if you find something wrong, it came from the factory that way. There are many running around with 50 80 and even one with 128k on them and still in spec. The required 15k check is a bit of a joke unless, like I say, the factory was a bit sloppy with initial set up. After that if adjustment is needed, it seems they hold the set clearances.
DO NOT ROTATE ENGINE IN REVERSE.
Ron

To The Max

Ron, thankyou very much I searched all over and couldn't find them, the original clearances were pretty good it turns out. Max

rbabos

Quote from: To The Max on February 09, 2017, 02:30:26 PM
Ron, thankyou very much I searched all over and couldn't find them, the original clearances were pretty good it turns out. Max
Cool. What was the mileage interval, just out of curiosity.
Ron

To The Max

Sorry for taking so long didn't see the post 24000 km.

rbabos

Quote from: To The Max on February 24, 2017, 04:51:08 AM
Sorry for taking so long didn't see the post 24000 km.
Normal first interval check then. Likely won't change much in the next 160000 km either. Heard of one guy with close to 180k miles and only done once. Way more stable valve train then many make it out to be.
Ron

To The Max

I was actually putting a stage 11 kit into this bike , I mostly service and repair Toyota cars and 4 wheel drives and we very rarely touch the valve lash. v rod valve train is the same and owners should expect very long life and excellent durability of the valve train. I set my clearances to maximum three inlets went 1 thou over. I also recommend regular oil changes and this keeps everything nice and clean. Max

rbabos

February 25, 2017, 08:17:35 AM #7 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:21:46 AM by rbabos
Quote from: To The Max on February 24, 2017, 11:07:50 PM
I was actually putting a stage 11 kit into this bike , I mostly service and repair Toyota cars and 4 wheel drives and we very rarely touch the valve lash. v rod valve train is the same and owners should expect very long life and excellent durability of the valve train. I set my clearances to maximum three inlets went 1 thou over. I also recommend regular oil changes and this keeps everything nice and clean. Max
Cool. Did you use the SE cams or were you lucky to snag a set of Jones cams? These are a low production group buy kind of deal.  Not a fan of the reduced base circle SE cams. Harsh ramping, special shims required and brutal reversion plays hell with the throttle body shafts promoting cracking. On that note after helping a guy tune his bike in England, he sent me a set of special shafts , should I go stage2. A guy on 1130cc is making them. For future reference if needed. :wink: Me, I'll likely either leave mine stage 1 or jump to SC or Turbo if the bug bites me. I've learned on the TC, don't piss around with small jumps in hp. Go big or go home as it's usually cheaper in the long run. :hyst:
Ron

To The Max

The owner supplied SE cams and I also didn't understand the reduced base circle, thought it made the valve train a little noisy but the bike went really well and the guy was very happy. I also tried to talk the guy into going to big bore and heads but he didn't have the money so we left it at that. I also tried to talk him into throwing out the SE tuner and going to PV cause the stage 11 tune was crap out of the box, any way a little tuning got it going quite well. I may be doing a couple more and I might try to talk these guys into the better shafts (thanks for showing them to me ). Max

rbabos

Quote from: To The Max on February 25, 2017, 07:32:16 PM
The owner supplied SE cams and I also didn't understand the reduced base circle, thought it made the valve train a little noisy but the bike went really well and the guy was very happy. I also tried to talk the guy into going to big bore and heads but he didn't have the money so we left it at that. I also tried to talk him into throwing out the SE tuner and going to PV cause the stage 11 tune was crap out of the box, any way a little tuning got it going quite well. I may be doing a couple more and I might try to talk these guys into the better shafts (thanks for showing them to me ). Max
Comparison of the two.
SE stage2
IN 0.491" lift and 257 deg. at 0.050"
EX 0.465" lift and 260 deg. at 0.050"
Jones cams.
http://jonescams.com/h-d-v-rod/
Issue is availability and a group buy from members on 1130cc.com seems to get results. They won't grind unless there is an order worth while so future planning a must. To me, stage3 cams would be the ticket? :idunno:
Ron