hd06

FSG

:agree:

are you sure it's trans and not engine

grnrock

Ok yes this has happened twice on the last services

PoorUB

?
So you are saying the transmission oil level is dropping and the primary rising? I find this surprising considering the layout.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

grnrock

yes trans is low primary is over full
mystery to me also

grnrock

this is after dyno tuning so all you guys testing can you check your levels and get back to me

hd06

I think I would have your dealership fix it after the first service. I wouldn't risk transmission problems later down the road.

chuck8446

I'm having the same problem, my dealer called Harley, they were told to do nothing, a tech. was coming out to look at it, in 4 to 8 days? :emsad: :emsad:

Wicked

Well the trans can't be pressurising or the oil would come out the clutch cable adjuster I'd say.
The mainshaft/clutch pushrod clearance must be suspect....as in to free flowing.

HV

Clutch Pushrod would be the only way it could get in the Primary from the Tranny
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

rbabos

Quote from: HV on May 27, 2017, 04:15:47 PM
Clutch Pushrod would be the only way it could get in the Primary from the Tranny
And the only way that can happen is if the trans was overfilled, above the pushrod hole.
Ron

FP

Quote from: grnrock on February 19, 2017, 10:15:12 AM
this is after dyno tuning so all you guys testing can you check your levels and get back to me

Wringing em out on the dyno seems to speed the transfer. Your not alone.

Steve@fullsac.com

chuck8446

what was the final diagnoses of your problem?

rbabos

Is there an oil slinger on the pushrod? In the olden days, that was one solution.
Ron

Durwood

I just drained mine this morning for the first time, 1796 miles and it had 16oz in trans and calls for 28oz for refill, the primary drained 40oz instead of the 30oz the SM calls for on a drain plug drop only.

The next drop will tell the tale as the Schaeffer 75/140 I am putting back in the trans is green and the Formula plus is gold, this along with constant monitoring of the trans level will give the needed data to approach the local dealer with.

Quote from: rbabos on May 28, 2017, 09:12:23 AM
Is there an oil slinger on the pushrod? In the olden days, that was one solution.
Ron
I think you nailed it Ron, the Milwaukee Eight clutch release pushrod #37000318 does not have the slinger as earlier models, according to my parts catalog picture.

FSG

no slingers on hydraulic clutches as there's no room for them

Durwood

May 28, 2017, 11:19:28 AM #17 Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:45:47 PM by Durwood
Upon refilling per SM specifications, that is by eye on the primary it took 27oz to bring it to the bottom of the clutch and 24oz to fill the trans to the "Full" mark on the stick with the bike on side stand. FWIW

Edited: Typo on trans fluid amount used.

strobeen

I did all 3 holes today at 6200 miles. I did the trans and primary last at 2500. I thought it odd to add trans oil a while back at ~ 4500. I'm using Severe gear 75/140 in the trans and formula plus in the primary..

The 1st thing I did was pull the derby cover before I even warmed up the engine to change fluids. The primary was overfull. Maybe 3-4oz came out. Figure it had to be gear oil. No mistaking that smell of the severe gear oil in the primary. Looks like I may have gear oil getting in the primary. I'll talk to the dealer and see how they want to proceed.

Bike31

Are the transmissions venting ok during heat cycles? I assume they have a rubber one like the TC's.
2017 Sportster 1200 C #79 since 1960

rbabos

Sounds like a reason to wait for the 2018s if they address it.  Don't worry, they will come up with a retro fix on your dime down the road or someone will. Or someone will come up with an aftermarket fix , then MoCo will sneak a version of it into production. :banghead:
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on May 29, 2017, 05:23:36 AM
Sounds like a reason to wait for the 2018s if they address it.  Don't worry, they will come up with a retro fix on your dime down the road or someone will. Or someone will come up with an aftermarket fix , then MoCo will sneak a version of it into production. :banghead:
Ron

I was hoping you guys would buy a M-8 and start doing some testing so we would not have to wait. You know the Moco will be a few years and half dozen patch jobs if they try to figure it out on their own rather than copy someone else's fix.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

hd06

I have one and I haven't had a bit of problems with it.

1FSTRK

Quote from: hd06 on May 29, 2017, 06:04:29 AM
I have one and I haven't had a bit of problems with it.

You may never have, the MoCo tested these and did not find it so it could be riding style, type, or temperature related.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

festus

Quote from: FSG on May 28, 2017, 11:14:02 AM
no slingers on hydraulic clutches as there's no room for them

So is this possible in Hyd twin cams also?
Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.