March 29, 2024, 05:58:14 AM

News:

How does the oil get there?

Started by Dan Carey, September 10, 2019, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Carey

September 13, 2019, 06:39:17 PM #25 Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:03:37 PM by Dan Carey
 :wtf: Come on, speculation is 100% conjecture on the "guessers" part.

In this case The oil pump was not assembled correctly, there was a slight gap in the 2 cases separated by the ss plate. That gap was caused by the alignment pins being stressed when assembled. I missed it when I installed it, I thought the oil pressure spring caused it and would make up when torqued to 110 IP. It didn't, it would not empty the crankcase sump. I pulled the pump out and called S&S tech services. The tech got a pump in hand and we went through them looking for the problem. I asked about the mismatch and he said there was no mismatch. I then found the problem with my pump and fixed it. 
Did this information help anyone, other than satisfy their curiosity?

Something to watch for with the pump is that it fits together and comes apart easily. I took a short cut and soaked the whole pump in motor oil prior to installing. That would have worked had the pump not been stressed.
Hunting, fishing and Harley's not necessarily in that order. Show Low, AZ

kd

:up:  Now we all know what  an cause that problem on a fresh assembly and what to be careful about to prevent it.  Thanks
KD

PoorUB

Quote from: Dan Carey on September 13, 2019, 06:39:17 PM
Did this information help anyone, other than satisfy their curiosity?

Maybe not today, but someone installing a S&S oil pump might take a second look at it brfore boling it up and catch what you didn't.

Don't feel bad, a couple other guys around here screw up once in a while, although it wasn't any of us in this thread!  :wink:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!