April 27, 2024, 01:23:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMike

Couple of meanings
I'm used to "Scientific Wild Ass Guess"
Used when we had to talk to the engineers on the job!
LOL
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Latest update:
After about 1000 miles after the factory authorized "fix" for my oil transfer issue there is now oil on my dipstick (as per the check in the owners manual).
There is still no official word as to WHY the vacuum is happening in the first place. MOCO is still "working" on the issue I'm told.
MSur:. No oil visible on the vent tube, or adjacent areas. I'm still thinking of cutting the tube short and installing my little filter, but have to wait (warranty).

I now have my Fullsac exhaust system installed along with the new dyno map (thanks, Steve for the tune)
With the new parts and tune the bike now runs without the hesitation off idle and pulls strong uphill, BSR, headwind, 5000 ft. Etc.
I'm told the cam in the 117 is the 25400199 (torque) in the stage 2 kit. Don't know for sure but it pulls pretty good with the stock engine.
Going to bike week this week, we'll see how the long ride goes.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

One of our riders at breakfast yesterday asked me about my oil transfer issue
I gave him the condensed version and he told me he just had the 1000 mile dealer oil change and his bike was fine.
I asked him "how long ago"? He said about 500 miles ago, after we ate he wanted to check and he pulls the dipstick. No oil showing. Stuck a pencil in the hole and found some oil!
He's planning to go to the dealership today, LOL
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hd06

Dealers don't check oil levels they drain and replace.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: hd06 on April 01, 2019, 11:04:06 PM

Exactly right. This is why they can honestly say "We've never seen it", because they don't look...

Most dealers also use Formula+ in both holes making it impossible to spot until it's too late.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

Pete_Vit

Quote from: hd06 on April 01, 2019, 11:04:06 PM
and sometime they don't even do that...ask me how I know  :angry:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

RLS

Been following this transfer issue on another forum, but recently rejoined this one.  Anyway, from what I gathered from this thread is that venting the primary eliminates the transfer.  With that said then something is causing a vaccum to form in the primary.  It would seem that as the motor warmed up the pressure would increase.  What am I missing here?

IronButt70

Quote from: RLS on April 11, 2019, 11:34:00 AM
Been following this transfer issue on another forum, but recently rejoined this one.  Anyway, from what I gathered from this thread is that venting the primary eliminates the transfer.  With that said then something is causing a vaccum to form in the primary.  It would seem that as the motor warmed up the pressure would increase.  What am I missing here?
Pressure could also force oil to transfer. Which hole heats the fluid up the most. I would guess the tranny but who knows. All I do know is that forgoing the M8 for my current TC was one of my better choices lately.  :scoot:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Dmerch

My '19 RG has the migration issue. I checked the trans fluid level at delivery and at about 200 miles, it was in the middle of the add and full marks. Checked it again on Monday at 631 miles, nothing on the stick. It took 16 ozs to put it in the middle.
I rode 200 miles and checked it the next morning, down another 5 ozs.

So I pulled the derby cover and removed the excess. Then pulled the pushrod and modified it. Just trying the simplest fix first. I'll modify the trans side cover if this doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough.

Pete_Vit

Wood

New kit released from the MOCO; found this info on another forum.

Wood

HogMike

And now the dealers are allowed to do the "fix".
You don't have to wait for a factory tech :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

98fxstc

Quote from: Pete_Vit on April 12, 2019, 07:48:11 AM
:up: another honest HD tech
https://youtu.be/Rm57U2SUYaE
Don't agree Pete
I think he is a condescending wanker
peddling the typical MoCo response, nothing to worry about  :nix:

Rockout Rocker Products

They must be having success with it to get to the point of having hoses molded etc. Would be nice if you could buy the hose separately, their primary gaskets are pretty spendy & can be reused many times in my experience. Aftermarket will be along shortly I bet.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rbabos

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 13, 2019, 07:36:23 AM
They must be having success with it to get to the point of having hoses molded etc. Would be nice if you could buy the hose separately, their primary gaskets are pretty spendy & can be reused many times in my experience. Aftermarket will be along shortly I bet.
It took then into the 3rd year of bike production to perfect the shape of the hose. :hyst: In reality they were once again shamed by experimenters into doing something to fix the issue. So, is this going to be on the owners dime for the fix or will they do it in good faith?
Ron

HogMike

Quote from: rbabos on April 13, 2019, 09:54:46 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 13, 2019, 07:36:23 AM
It took then into the 3rd year of bike production to perfect the shape of the hose. :hyst: In reality they were once again shamed by experimenters into doing something to fix the issue. So, is this going to be on the owners dime for the fix or will they do it in good faith?
Ron

I just happened to be talking to our SM this morning. Their procedure is to call the factory, request a RO and hose "kit" is over nighted. Seems they don't keep them in stock.
2yr warranty kicks in. Those out of warranty the dealer will eat the cost "minimal" good faith for future business.
Too bad the motor company can't follow the lead from some of the dealers to promote future business.
:wtf:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

To The Max

Quote from: 98fxstc on April 13, 2019, 07:02:32 AM
Don't agree Pete
Yes I felt the same if he had talked to me like that I would not have been nice about it. Max

PoorUB

Don't agree Pete

I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from him either!
I don't care for his style of making videos either. Too much B.S., not enough substance. Although he has a following so I guess he is doing what the general population likes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pete_Vit

Don't agree Pete
:dgust: well he does work for the MoCo, after viewing again, I never saw him talk about the 'solution' that HD came up with to solve the non issue - sorry guys

Scooterfish

The video was posted July 25 2018, so 9 mos old. I have seen some of his other videos and they appear to be  hawking a lot of general bolt on parts.
Northern Indiana

Admiral Akbar

Don't agree Pete

Man, do you have in inferiority complex?

98fxstc

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on April 15, 2019, 08:56:12 PM
Don't agree Pete

I'm ok Max.
Why would you think otherwise ?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 98fxstc on April 16, 2019, 12:46:12 AM
Don't agree Pete

I'm ok Max.

Because John Maxwell rates a lot lower on the axehole scale and you think he's condescending?

98fxstc

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on April 16, 2019, 07:49:49 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on April 16, 2019, 12:46:12 AM
Don't agree Pete

I'm ok Max.

Because John Maxwell rates a lot lower on the axehole scale and you think he's condescending?

How would you rate the content and his delivery Max ?
Who do you think the target audience is ?

Harley Pilot

Add another one to the list, My 2019 Roadking with 559 miles on it and all the trans fluid is in the primary!! What really grinds my gears is how the service dept folks think we no nothing about how these things work!!!😖