April 27, 2024, 05:24:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bike31

August 05, 2017, 10:14:23 AM #325 Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:22:06 AM by Bike31
There's a bit of a problem here with an immediate repair to SC's. If HD knows the source, a fix, and does it successfully then they're committed now to others for the same. Selling a potentially defective new 2017 with a known repair might hurt sales and dealers trying to clear the floor. May be better for them to correct it later under warranty.

In a few weeks the 2018's will be on the street. They may have been modified up front or via a running production change. Any improved parts or assembly may be in short supply.  So delay the repairs on 2017's and make new bikes may be their priority. Or...they may truly be ignorant of the cause, but somehow I doubt that.

I guess we'll see when first owners of the 2018's have a scoot and do a trans lube check next month.

WirgmanUSMC

So I did 680 miles today with my Durwood gasket mod and I have no notable drop in tranny levels. Mainly kept it around 3k, but there were certainly some miles put on over 90mph and some hard accelerating. I'll check it again in 1,000 when I get to Sturgis.

DTTJGlide

You had problems with it transferring before the gasket mod, or you just wanted to do "prevent defense" before a long trip?

WirgmanUSMC

Quote from: DTTJGlide on August 05, 2017, 07:16:34 PM
You had problems with it transferring before the gasket mod, or you just wanted to do "prevent defense" before a long trip?
I was having problems prior. I didn't realize it till doing my 5K service. I didn't measure how many ounces had transferred, but it was substantial.

PoorUB

Quote from: harleytuner on August 05, 2017, 07:47:14 AM
Well the dealer called SC and told him to come pick up his bike.  The MoCo doesn't know what's wrong with it.  They've had the bike pretty much for the last 9 months straight and have tried everything they can come up with.  The last go around the bike transferred 22 oz.  They told him if to keep an eye on the levels and to bring it back when they are off and the dealer will set the proper levels free of charge. They are hoping to have something figured out within the next couple weeks.

I would tell them to fix it or give me my money back, or the next person they talk to will be my attorney, lemon law or not. What the hell good is a motorcycle that you have to refill the tranny and drain the primary every 50-100 miles? I would be friggen pissed!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on August 06, 2017, 09:13:57 AM
Well the dealer called SC and told him to come pick up his bike.  The MoCo doesn't know what's wrong with it.  They've had the bike pretty much for the last 9 months straight and have tried everything they can come up with.  The last go around the bike transferred 22 oz.  They told him if to keep an eye on the levels and to bring it back when they are off and the dealer will set the proper levels free of charge. They are hoping to have something figured out within the next couple weeks.

I would tell them to fix it or give me my money back, or the next person they talk to will be my attorney, lemon law or not. What the hell good is a motorcycle that you have to refill the tranny and drain the primary every 50-100 miles? I would be friggen pissed!
I'd be riding a different brand by then. Only so much bs I can tolerate and that's well beyond my limit when it comes to the MoCo.
Ron

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on August 06, 2017, 09:19:01 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 06, 2017, 09:13:57 AM

I'd be riding a different brand by then. Only so much bs I can tolerate and that's well beyond my limit when it comes to the MoCo.
Ron

I tend to agree. Fix it in a timely manner, or give me a new one. If it happens again, refund ALL my money, including tax and license, and show me to the nearest BMW dealer. I might even look at Japanese models.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harleytuner

I haven't spoken to him on the phone since this latest development,  just via text so it's hard to get his demeaned, I don't know if he's pissed or laughing about it.  I do know he wasn't very confident with there last round of tests so I'm positive the results weren't a,surprise. I'm sure we'll be talking in the next day or 2 and ill get more.   I will day that he is a lot more patient than i am. 

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on August 06, 2017, 09:35:56 AM

I tend to agree. Fix it in a timely manner, or give me a new one. If it happens again, refund ALL my money, including tax and license, and show me to the nearest BMW dealer. I might even look at Japanese models.

Shh! People get pissy when we talk about BMW's! :wink:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

WirgmanUSMC

Checked oil last night after getting to Sioux Falls. 1,300 miles and no transfer yet with the gasket mod. Bike is spraying oil like crazy from the breathers from the hard highway riding, but tranny oil looks good!

les

Quote from: WirgmanUSMC on August 07, 2017, 07:11:01 AM
Checked oil last night after getting to Sioux Falls. 1,300 miles and no transfer yet with the gasket mod. Bike is spraying oil like crazy from the breathers from the hard highway riding, but tranny oil looks good!

A few weeks ago, I rented a 2017 Limited for a 4 day ride.  1650 miles on the odometer when I picked up the bike.  Put a couple thousand miles on it during the ride.  I also had oil puking out of the bottom of the air filter that covered the front half of the cam chest cover.  Some even got down on the front exhaust pipe near the right footboard. 

Sunny Jim

Over 68000 views and 100 pages of comment on this issue on another forum.
I would love to get to a solution on this.
How is it going Durwood?

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on August 08, 2017, 06:06:56 AM
Over 68000 views and 100 pages of comment on this issue on another forum.
I would love to get to a solution on this.
How is it going Durwood?
The short story is that after 1200 miles and 2 dyno sessions including full tunes and over 60 max power runs my bike transferred 3oz of fluid.

This is much improved from the same transfer amount with less than 500 miles prior to modifying the gasket, so I opened the whole significantly more to see what happens.

I am not convinced as of yet that this phenomenon is exclusive to the Milwaukee Eight, I serviced a 2016 FLTRU equipped with a hydraulic clutch a couple of days ago, the primary fluid level was at the point of running out the service hole in the cover and the transmission fluid level was extremely low on the stick.

It will be a while before I can confirm, but it sure looks suspicious.

Sunny Jim

Steve Cole appears to be cautiously progressing with a solution. I don't get The crankshaft seal scenario. These M8s have been around for almost 12 months now. The MoCo gas had more than enough that time and publicity to discover a solution.

rbabos

Quote from: Sunny Jim on August 09, 2017, 04:15:24 PM
Steve Cole appears to be cautiously progressing with a solution. I don't get The crankshaft seal scenario. These M8s have been around for almost 12 months now. The MoCo gas had more than enough that time and publicity to discover a solution.
The longer they play dumb, the more money they save basically.
Ron

98fxstc

interesting comment

Daren has posted a mod that has substantially reduced transfer
and is still being refined

SC was looking at the ball bearings up to two weeks ago
and has trialled a mod to the transmission on a customer bike that appears to show a positive result
has two personal bikes with no attempted fix that continue to transfer 'large' quantities of transmission fluid

:nix:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Durwood on August 08, 2017, 06:59:01 AM

I am not convinced as of yet that this phenomenon is exclusive to the Milwaukee Eight, I serviced a 2016 FLTRU equipped with a hydraulic clutch a couple of days ago, the primary fluid level was at the point of running out the service hole in the cover and the transmission fluid level was extremely low on the stick.

Was the FLTRU a SE or standard?

Durwood

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on August 10, 2017, 07:55:08 AM
Quote from: Durwood on August 08, 2017, 06:59:01 AM

Was the FLTRU a SE or standard?
It was a standard Road glide Ultra.

harleytuner

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 10, 2017, 05:56:23 AM

interesting comment

Daren has posted a mod that has substantially reduced transfer
and is still being refined

SC was looking at the ball bearings up to two weeks ago
and has trialled a mod to the transmission on a customer bike that appears to show a positive result
has two personal bikes with no attempted fix that continue to transfer 'large' quantities of transmission fluid

:nix:

Steve did his mod on one of his personal bikes (the other had been sitting at the dealer for 9 months so he didn't do anything to that one).  On the bikie of his he did the mod to the transfer was reduced by 60-75%.  When his customer came in with the same problem he discussed the mod with him and said he wanted to do the same thing to that bike as he did to his own but take it a little further.  Customer said do it.  So far after 6400 miles into his trip, checking levels daily he hasn't noticed any transfer at all.

Hossamania

I know it would really frost me if I took a trip on my brand new motorcycle and had to check the tranny every day. It would really ruin the fun.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Hossamania on August 10, 2017, 09:42:11 AM
I know it would really frost me if I took a trip on my brand new motorcycle and had to check the tranny every day. It would really ruin the fun.

Think how bad it would be to have to check fluids ever day, adjust and lube chains every morning in the hotel parking lot when you ride on a trip, patch your tubes on the side fo the rode and other regular stuff that no one should ever have to do on a motorcycle.  I sure am glad we never had to do stuff like that.  Checking a fluid every day?  Oh my goodness that would rune a hole trip!

harleytuner

If there's not a puddle under it tree shills be no ran to check trans and primary fluids.  Especially on a bend new bike. Outs the MoCo's job to design it to keep the fluids where they belong.   

Coyote

Quote from: harleytuner on August 10, 2017, 04:40:12 PM
If there's not a puddle under it tree shills be no ran to check trans and primary fluids.  Especially on a bend new bike. Outs the MoCo's job to design it to keep the fluids where they belong.

Huh?  :hyst:

Until such time as somebodies transmission actually locks up and they go into a skid which causes a wreck resulting in injury the Feds are not likely to get involved. What with all the bikes that are transferring fluid I am amazed that I have not heard one instance of a transmission locking up yet. Has anyone else heard anything about one or more locking up?

harleytuner

Quote from: Coyote on August 10, 2017, 06:28:42 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on August 10, 2017, 04:40:12 PM

Huh?  :hyst:

Note to self....self, stop using the swipe feature on you phone to reply.

"If there's not a puddle under it the bike there's no reason to check trans and primary fluids.  Especially on a brand new bike. Is the MoCo's job to design it to keep the fluids where they belong."