April 27, 2024, 05:56:01 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regarding the top gasket cover vent hole: Several people who frequent here made the hole a little larger first and then elongated the  hole maybe an inch or so to add some venting to other chambers. Since elongating the hole I have not heard if it was successful or not.

harleytuner

Quote from: Karl H. on August 25, 2017, 08:32:30 AM
Quote from: harleytuner on August 25, 2017, 07:43:28 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on August 25, 2017, 06:23:52 AM
Remembering back in the AMF days, wasn't there a problem with engine oil draining into the primary, and that was not a seal issue, that was a casting issue with the cases? maybe throwing seals at the issue is not the solution  :nix:

Max brought up porous cases on HDF yesterday.  Wouldn't the fluid have to travel through the trans case and the inner primary both though for this to happen?  Remember, there is a void between the 2 cases for the pulley.  I could see trans fluid getting into the engine oil pan through the bottom of the trans case.  But I don't see how it could get into the primary other than through the clutch pushrod passage

Max ment a porous crank case acting like a bad oil seal imho

Karl

OK wow, I didn't look at it that way.  So Max theory is possible porous engine case pulling a vacuum through primary and sucking trans fluid into primary.  We're really grabbing at straws now lol.

1FSTRK

The problem I have with the engine or primary vacuum therories is there would need to be air flow to carry the oil. The M/S is the air vent system for the primary so why wouldn't the engine or priamry suck air in through the trans vent and down the top of the M/S opening the same way the venting normally works, after all air is way easier to move than Formula plus.

I really wish someone around here had one of these, this is becoming way more complicated than it needs to be.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Bigs

Well I racked up the 500 miles the dealer asked me to do and took it to him to check. He checked it and said it was at the same level. I asked him if he checked the primary and he said no that it was to hot. Not exactly happy so I called Harley. Talked to the guy there and he didn't seem to know anything about the transfer so I told him about what was happening to my bike and not I have a file number for the problem. We'll see where it goes from here. Need more  :oil: for one and less  :oil: for the other.
   Bigs

Buglet

Just did another 17 SGS 3K down 18 oz. 

SlowRacer

I have 500 miles on a 2017 SG and want to try quieting down the transmission with Shockproof. In case I have migration, can Redline Shockproof hurt the clutch? Or should I just use something like Mobil 20-50 in there until I see if I have a problem?

rigidthumper

Until the transfer issue is solved, run formula + in the 17 and newer bikes.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

I would not recommend running M1 20w-50 in the transmission, it prefers gear lube rather than motor oil. Formula plus will work, for both the tranny and primary.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

RXBOB

Just throwing this out there
at first I thought mine had the issue,  but now I am not so sure. I have recently done a 1200km ride and where the RG was bouncing off the speed limiter for 50km stretch's (lets just say a friend on a 106ci softy couldn't keep up LOL) and to my surprise my oil levels have not changed

Have a 3000k ride coming up next month so will see how that goes :chop:

SlowRacer

ok thanks, will run Formula + while determining if I have transfer.

Sunny Jim

Yes Bobs bike did initially have the alleged fault. Interesting how the oil migration is hilighted on a dyno. I tend to ride mine through the suburbs a lot and my oil is down another 50 ml over 1000 Km. I think the vacuum gauge on the primary will help mitigate the answer to this.

rigidthumper

Verify fluid levels, then ride 50 MPH in second gear for 5 minutes, then turn around and head home same way.  Recheck fluid levels. 

RXBOB

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 26, 2017, 06:33:55 PM
Verify fluid levels, then ride 50 MPH in second gear for 5 minutes, then turn around and head home same way.  Recheck fluid levels.

is a 195km/hr in 6th for like 5 to 10mins thae same :hyst:

twincamzz

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I have a 2017 Limited Low that I purchased last August 27th when the M8 first came out.Bike now has 13,700+ miles on it. 6 months ( 7000 miles ) ago the dealer replaced the secondary clutch actuator & clutch push rod under warranty for odd noise in the diaphragm in actuator. When I got the bike home from that service I dumped the transmission fluid & refilled to spec. Yesterday I checked the fluid level in transmission & was 4 ounces low. Topped transmission fluid off & rode to dealer. Talked with service manager... surprisingly, he was aware of problem as one other person at my dealership is experiencing same issue. Service manager said the factory says the fix is the new seal & spacer at output shaft of motor, just like I have read here. Dealer noted problem exists on my bike without making me go through process of dye in transmission, etc. Parts are back ordered until October so I will ride & monitor fluid levels. In my mind it is hard to link this seal and spacer to the problem, but nothing else to do but try and let factory figure it out. Got home & drained primary fluid and refilled to spec.
not all who wander are lost...

fwj

1000km ago I got a new transmission, new crankshaft seal and spacer. Didn't solve the issue. Had to top off approx 0,2l.

rbabos

Quote from: fwj on August 27, 2017, 08:42:47 PM
1000km ago I got a new transmission, new crankshaft seal and spacer. Didn't solve the issue. Had to top off approx 0,2l.
Good info. Let's see if the 18s have the same issue. I sure hope not.
Ron

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: rbabos on August 28, 2017, 05:27:07 AM
Quote from: fwj on August 27, 2017, 08:42:47 PM
Good info. Let's see if the 18s have the same issue. I sure hope not.
Ron

I'd have to assume that since there's no fix for the '17s the '18s have it too.

Y'know.... certainly a lot of HD buyers are dirtbags like me, but there are also some pretty well heeled buyers at the top end. If it turns out HD is knowingly selling a defective product, a class action lawsuit wouldn't shock me.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rigidthumper

I'd bet the Softails do not, touring may, haven't seen any new part numbers.

Mulligan

got new crankshaft seal and spacer  (no new trans - is still shifting :wink:)

Got the bike back on saturday, did some riding (around 300km) on the weekend, oil is still looking good... But i have to do a longer ride (time issue).

steve2100

Need to keep this thread going need a fix bad.

All we are doing now is rehashing "old" news. Until the MOCO gets off their hind quarters and devotes some engineering types to figure this out we are going nowhere. This is not the Moon Rover or the Space Shuttle. It is a damn motorcycle transmission. Defecate or get off the pot MOCO! If they think motorcycle sales have been slow up to this point, wait until word of this engineering fiasco gets around.

Bigs

Any of you guys call Harley and tell the problem your having and get a file number?
You can call: 1-800-258-2464 or 1-414-343-4056
I called the 1-800 number and got a guy right away told him the problem and a file number.
   Bigs

Ohio HD

Why not run Bel-Ray Gear Saver in both? It's designed for the transmission and the clutch. Run the 85W.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-gear-saver-transmission-oil

borrec

Quote from: Bigs on September 02, 2017, 06:21:06 PM
Any of you guys call Harley and tell the problem your having and get a file number?
You can call: 1-800-258-2464 or 1-414-343-4056
I called the 1-800 number and got a guy right away told him the problem and a file number.
   Bigs

Yes I did, also my dealer and reported it to NHTSA.

Buglet

Working OT just check another 16  SGS trans down 9 oz, 3400 mi all stock.