April 27, 2024, 02:46:21 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14GuineaPig

October 12, 2017, 03:26:06 PM #550 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:36:56 PM by 14GuineaPig
On HD's SIP website it shows a recent bulletin (Tech Article) regarding the transfer of trans oil into the primary.  Unfortunately I don't have access to see what the bulletin says but here's the number/name for all of those that have dealers who "never heard of that before"

TA0022: Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer

hattitude

FSG beat you to it...

TA0022: Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer... it was issued on 9/27/17 and it's listed in the Tech Articles section here on this forum...

Karl H.

October 13, 2017, 01:42:58 AM #552 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:24:04 AM by Karl H.
What the TA0022 tells us:

- excessive oil transfer with some engines started with the 2014 TC touring models and continued with the M8 touring models (2017/2018)
- little transfer is normal
- if it is more than 5 oz in 5,000miles action is needed
- fix for affected TC engines is replacing the oil seal and spacer
- no fix for the M8 yet. Just check oil level after 1,000 miles if transfer was more than 5 oz in 5,000miles.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

1FSTRK

It sounds like there are two different problems and that is causing some confusion when it come to diagnosing and curing each problem.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

14GuineaPig

October 13, 2017, 04:44:55 AM #554 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:49:48 AM by 14GuineaPig
Thanks FSG for posting a copy of TA0022.  I was hoping that someone would and now it's available for everyone to read.

As I stated in my post, I didn't have access to the document so I couldn't read or copy it.
And as HATTITUDE was kind enough to point out, "FSG beat you to it..." Yes he certainly did because he had a copy of the document.

Looks like only HD is late since it states that the condition could exist since the release of the "Rushmore" models.

Buglet

Here,s one the 16 that was updated with 17 parts, first check 500 mi transferred 16 0z. Drain and refill 700.mi transferred nothing.

FSG

JMOOC  the problem was introduced in 2014 (see the Tech Forum) and has since been compounded with the introduction of the A&S Clutch.

14GuineaPig

You're probably right.
Just a question .... Was the A&S Clutch ever used in the cable operated clutch 2014+ touring models?  I guess that would be limited to the 2014-2016 Road King.
I also wonder if the gear that eliminates the neutral rattle on the 2017+ models contributes to the condition.

Ozbob

Are the 2018 cable operated clutch mechanisms in the softails compatible to the 17-18 tourer's

rigidthumper

Quote from: Ozbob on October 13, 2017, 06:45:24 PM
Are the 2018 cable operated clutch mechanisms in the softails compatible to the 17-18 tourer's
Yes, you'd have to use lever/perch/cable(both halves)/side cover/ball& ramp assy/pushrod/throw out bearing/adjuster/nut. Couple hundred bucks in parts to switch over.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rockout Rocker Products

My '15 Limited Low has the A&S clutch, as well as the narrow primary that went system wide in '16. Never a drop transferred. I don't even check the fluid level between changes any more.  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

1FSTRK

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on October 13, 2017, 07:47:22 PM
My '15 Limited Low has the A&S clutch, as well as the narrow primary that went system wide in '16. Never a drop transferred. I don't even check the fluid level between changes any more.  :idunno:

Manual or hydraulic clutch?

FSG

and it has a pre Brembo Slave Cylinder which may not react as much to the A&S Clutch action

FSG

one easy thing to do is change those nyloc nuts (item #7), at least the one on the mainshaft, to a thin nut with no dome and use loctite, this would increase the clearance to the hyd inside cover and not push as much oil into the slave cylinder recess

PoorUB

My '16 Limited has never transferred an measurable amount either. 10,000-15,000 miles on the tranny lube and still up on the stick. The engine uses very little oil too, 7,500 miles on the oil change and I added a few ounces when I changed the oil filter. Best Twin Cam I have owned out of the three years, '05 and '10.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Karl H.

October 13, 2017, 10:42:29 PM #565 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:08:40 PM by Karl H.
 After reading the SIP info I checked the oil level in the tranny of my '14 Street Glide. The dipstick was dry (>5 oz off)... :angry:

Karl

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 19, 2017, 10:57:53 AM
I would think the cavity I circled in red would have to be full of oil up to the level of the center hole in the mainshaft to transfer the amount of oil we are seeing in the amount of time it is taking. Why not drill a drain hole back into the trans cavity at the bottom where I put the red arrow so that the oil can not be trapped and accumulate?

I believe that Eric and FSG have the right idea..If the oil doesn't accumulate there is nothing to transfer. I am trying this next.

Sunny Jim

So what are you actually saying? The oil accumulates in the area circled? Surely drilling out the area below the shaft , would assist with drainage.
Any thoughts.?

rbabos

Quote from: Sunny Jim on October 14, 2017, 08:17:54 AM
So what are you actually saying? The oil accumulates in the area circled? Surely drilling out the area below the shaft , would assist with drainage.
Any thoughts.?
Makes sense. With oil in that cavity the slave would act like a piston pump to some extent on each shift. Surely the MoCo Einsteins would have figured this out if that was the cause. Are the 18s having the same issue?
Ron

1FSTRK

The slave pumping would add to it but just the fact that it is designed to funnel oil in and has no return will cause oil to continuely run down the main shaft into the primary.

Durwood

Quote from: Sunny Jim on October 14, 2017, 08:17:54 AM
Any thoughts.?
That's what I am thinking...If a guy blocks the entry then the primary can't vent, so with Eric's example it shouldn't accumulate to the point where it can get to the main shaft.

This time I am going to go back to the Schaeffer's 75/140 in the trans, as it is green in color and I will be able to detect transfer without having to log a bunch of miles.

A trip to the dyno, then pull the derby cover and see if the Formula plus has changed colors and/or smell. It definitely makes sense.

Karl H.

October 15, 2017, 12:05:09 AM #571 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:59:28 AM by Karl H.
While the tranfer problem got worse with the M8 the problem started with the 2014 Rushmore models (Twin Cam). Comparing the pre 2014 CVO with the 2014 Rushmore (both with the same hydraulic clutch system) I can only find the pushrod as being different. A guy over here in Germany installed the pre 2014 pushrod in his M8 and stopped the oil transfer so far.  :scratch:

Karl

hd06

I'm sure this small problem will get worked out.

PoorUB

Quote from: hd06 on October 15, 2017, 03:49:41 AM

sure it will, when HD does the next major design change, like in 20 years! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on October 15, 2017, 08:05:52 AM
Quote from: hd06 on October 15, 2017, 03:49:41 AM

sure it will, when HD does the next major design change, like in 20 years! :hyst:
Good one. Sad but true. Based on what I'm seeing with this issue and several others, no more new HDs for me. Matter of fact, if it wasn't for my current trouble free v rod I'd be riding a different brand. Issues like this are normally dealt with in a swift manor or customers change brands. A year in and same bs.  I was really hoping the M8 would be something special. Well,  it isn't in my view.
Ron