April 27, 2024, 04:53:39 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on March 09, 2018, 04:58:13 PM

:up:
I have most of my tooling done, I am waiting for some supplies. Who know if it will work or not, there is a lot going on inside of that transmission.
I like the idea of the seal on the main shaft that you guys are doing. I'm looking for something a little more simple.
We are kicking around a few other ideas also.

I cannot take any credit for the design. That's all $tonecold's. I only helped with the nuts.

rigidthumper

Interesting, that kit is available in GB-36300028 retails for ~45 pounds. That's pricey, for 1 gasket and 1 plastic tube...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jacob1955

Is this supposed to stop the transmission to Primary oil transfer,,,,Is HD going to install as a upgrade on them or do we have to buy and installed or have HD do it.

Ancient

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 10, 2018, 05:57:02 AM
Interesting, that kit is available in GB-36300028 retails for ~45 pounds. That's pricey, for 1 gasket and 1 plastic tube...

Saw it at Surdyke for the low $30's. Still high for what it is. But in moco prices pretty cheap.
Greg

Nastytls

Wonder if that's being installed on new bikes and the factory?

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on March 10, 2018, 09:55:20 AM
Wonder if that's being installed on new bikes and the factory?
Probably is but the big question is , does it work? The public are generally the beta testers.
Ron

Nastytls

My bike has a build date of 2/6/18 so maybe it's already in there.

harley_cruiser

March 11, 2018, 06:23:29 AM #908 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:41:40 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
I have the centrifugal seal prototype done, the long bushing goes inside the tunnel about a half inch, it's a press fit in the transmission main shaft tunnel. You can see how it is tapered down to a snug fit on the push rod. this is before it is installed in the tunnel.

The clutch push rod moves freely in the bushing, and there is enough room for it to vent, but it is snug. It is tapered from one end to the other although that is hard to see in a photo.
The short 1/4 inch bushing on the end of the shaft is a slinger that will stop the oil from migrating down the push rod into the tunnel. The short slinger is press fit on the push rod so that once installed will not move.

You can see the tapper is enough so that the slinger can go inside the tapered bushing if necessary when the clutch is depressed and give you an idea of how much the bushing is tapered.

This is what it will look like when long tapered bushing is installed in the shaft tunnel and about where the slinger would run in relation to the end of the shaft.
In theory the slinger will keep oil from moving down the push rod into the tunnel and the spinning shaft with the tapered bushing inside will push any oil out of the shaft tunnel acting as a centrifugal seal.
Here is how the centrifugal force pushes the oil back out of the main shaft tunnel.

Uboofer

Am I missing something?  HD has a fluid transfer issue on the M8 motors and their solution is to have you buy the fix? 

rbabos

Quote from: Uboofer on March 12, 2018, 12:54:21 PM

Am I missing something?  HD has a fluid transfer issue on the M8 motors and their solution is to have you buy the fix?
Oh course. Sometimes they also call it an SE part . New improved to fix a current condition and make money while at it. :wink: Use to be compensators, now it's adjustable rockers.
Ron

PoorUB

Pretty sure if your bike is under warranty they will put the kit in for free. The MoCo put a price on it just because someone will want to buy it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on March 12, 2018, 01:34:55 PM

Pretty sure if your bike is under warranty they will put the kit in for free. The MoCo put a price on it just because someone will want to buy it.
Likely, once proof of transfer is shown and documented.
Ron

hd06

If there's not a problem there's nothing to fix.

happyman

Quote from: hd06 on March 12, 2018, 05:04:43 PM
If there's not a problem there's nothing to fix.
how long will this fix last?  then again people have to check the fluid levels themselves now and again  to see if their bike has the issue. 

pappashelby

Quote from: rbabos on March 12, 2018, 02:35:33 PM

Ron
Shop said I transferred 12oz in 1k miles. They ordered the kit today. Will be done under warranty

rbabos

Quote from: pappashelby on March 13, 2018, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: rbabos on March 12, 2018, 02:35:33 PM

Ron
Shop said I transferred 12oz in 1k miles. They ordered the kit today. Will be done under warranty
Wow. That's pretty bad.
Ron

IronButt70

Would it be a good idea to install this kit as PM on a bike that doesn't seem to have the transfer issue at this time?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 14, 2018, 08:35:46 AM
Would it be a good idea to install this kit as PM on a bike that doesn't seem to have the transfer issue at this time?
What I find odd the damn things are all built the same so they should all transfer or not transfer. How it's operated seems to be the only logical cause, as in higher rpms vs lower rpms operation. As for the new part , can't see it hurting and could be called an upgrade, providing it actually does what it claims to do. Jury still out on that.
Ron

PoorUB

Funny HD doesn't sell it as an SE part! :potstir:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

March 14, 2018, 02:20:02 PM #920 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:36:19 PM by rbabos
Quote from: PoorUB on March 14, 2018, 01:18:23 PM
Funny HD doesn't sell it as an SE part! :potstir:
Must be a part that's in current production then. I can't seem to bring up the link for that kit any more . Wonder if they are still avialable?:idunno:
Ron

Oz Dan

Quote from: rbabos on March 14, 2018, 11:20:46 AM
What I find odd the damn things are all built the same so they should all transfer or not transfer. How it's operated seems to be the only logical cause, as in higher rpms vs lower rpms operation. As for the new part , can't see it hurting and could be called an upgrade, providing it actually does what it claims to do. Jury still out on that.
Ron

The rpm thing does seem logical, but my M8 has been dyno tuned twice. It didn't transfer any oil during either tune, and I watched them do the tunes......ran then right up to red line multiple times.  Nor does it transfer during regular riding, sometimes at high rpm, and I now have over 20,000 km.......I can't get my head around why most don't but some do either.
2017 FLHR Stage 2

harley_cruiser

Quote from: Oz Dan on March 14, 2018, 04:47:03 PM
Quote from: rbabos on March 14, 2018, 11:20:46 AM
Ron

The rpm thing does seem logical, but my M8 has been dyno tuned twice. It didn't transfer any oil during either tune, and I watched them do the tunes......ran then right up to red line multiple times.  Nor does it transfer during regular riding, sometimes at high rpm, and I now have over 20,000 km.......I can't get my head around why most don't but some do either.
Its been reported that some do it while sitting on the kickstand and idling, that makes since with the bike at an angle. I wonder if the ones transfuring really bad on the dyno were at an angle?

hd06

What about making left hand turns.

IronButt70

Quote from: hd06 on March 14, 2018, 06:57:55 PM
What about making left hand turns.
Or even right hand turns depending on your speed because centrifugal force would tend to push fluid to the left if you're doing high speed twisties. Or maybe I'm clueless.  :doh:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.