March 28, 2024, 04:01:06 PM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06

Jaycee1964

Ok,  Had Primary vent and trans seal installed 6/27 at dealer.  Its now 7/17 and about 1500 miles later and the dip stick level is exactly where it was when the trans was filed.  Fix worked for me.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on July 17, 2019, 03:55:17 AM
Ok,  Had Primary vent and trans seal installed 6/27 at dealer.  Its now 7/17 and about 1500 miles later and the dip stick level is exactly where it was when the trans was filed.  Fix worked for me.
:up:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

crewchief25H

Quote from: VDeuce on July 11, 2019, 02:16:09 PM
Just installed the primary vent today; pretty easy job. Noticed a slight amount of transfer with the CVO 3-piece pushrod, though very little. This should solve it completely I think.

VD
Did you leave the CVO rod installed, or go back to oem?

VDeuce

Quote from: crewchief25H on July 17, 2019, 05:45:49 PM
Quote from: VDeuce on July 11, 2019, 02:16:09 PM
Just installed the primary vent today; pretty easy job. Noticed a slight amount of transfer with the CVO 3-piece pushrod, though very little. This should solve it completely I think.

VD
Did you leave the CVO rod installed, or go back to oem?
Left the CVO rod in place.

Xyzzy

I bought a 2019 RK about a week ago. I have previously owned three other M8 touring bikes that did not have the transfer issue. My new RK has a build date of 4/19 and did not have the vent installed from the factory.

I rode the bike home (210 miles) and checked the transmission. It was 12 ounces low. I refilled the transmission and ordered the vent kit from Surdyke. I'm sure the dealer would do it under warranty, but I prefer to do my own work. Plus all of the dealers "near" me are booked up solid. And, every time I have a dealer work on something they do a crappy job.

I continued to ride the bike. Every day I refilled the transmission. I was curious how the additional oil would affect the primary so I just let it build up in there. Surprisingly, the shifting was still pretty good, and finding neutral was easy. As a test, I rolled to a stop in sixth gear and I was able to downshift to first without loading the transmission, so that indicated to me that the additional oil in the primary was spinning the clutch.

Log:
12 ounces @ 210 miles
12 ounces @ 421 miles
12 ounces @ 700 miles
20 ounces @ 991 miles
14 ounces @ 1434 miles

At this point I received the vent kit. I drained the primary. I didn't measure the oil that came out, but it was a lot! The vent install went smooth. The only catch to the install is to make sure the vent is seated in the hole fully. I've attached a picture of the hole that is drilled in the inner primary.

So I took the bike 370 miles yesterday after the install and when I checked the transmission this morning the oil was right where it is supposed to be.

Theory: My previous bikes did not transfer oil. Perhaps they had a very minor (pinhole?) "leak" somewhere in the primary system that vented the primary?

It is crazy to have a few bikes that do not transfer any oil in 20,000+ miles each and then get a bike that transfers oil at the rate of 12 ounces every 200 miles!

[attach=0]

Norton Commando

Thanks for the feedback. It sure sounds like venting the primary is the cure to stop transmission fluid from migrating into the primary.

I assume you drilled the vent hole from the primary side? Did you need an extra long drill bit?

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Xyzzy

Yes, from the primary side.

I used a bunch of small bits working my way up to an 11/32" bit.

They were normal-length bits.

I should have just bought the vent tube. I didn't need the template or the gaskets. (Inspection cover, primary and drain bolt gaskets.)

IronButt70

Quote from: Xyzzy on July 19, 2019, 05:52:39 AM
Yes, from the primary side.

I used a bunch of small bits working my way up to an 11/32" bit.

They were normal-length bits.

I should have just bought the vent tube. I didn't need the template or the gaskets. (Inspection cover, primary and drain bolt gaskets.)
No threading of the vent hole needed?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Xyzzy

It is just a smooth weirdly-shaped plastic/rubber tube. You just snake it in and make sure it is seated properly.

Hossamania

So a guy could probably make his own pretty cheaply?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on July 19, 2019, 10:27:18 AM
So a guy could probably make his own pretty cheaply?

Unlikely, but you COULD achieve the same results with a couple of fittings, length of hose, drill and tap!
I had all the parts ready to do my own, but got the factory tech to do it under warranty including primary gasket, o-ring, quart of oil. Cheaper than I could do it.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

IronButt70

Quote from: Xyzzy on July 19, 2019, 10:14:07 AM
It is just a smooth weirdly-shaped plastic/rubber tube. You just snake it in and make sure it is seated properly.
Saw the beveled lip in the pic. I would just be a little concerned about fluid maybe seeping out from around the plastic over time.

VDeuce

Kit is only around $30, so not too cost prohibitive and a whole lot cleaner install than with fittings.

HogMike

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 19, 2019, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: Xyzzy on July 19, 2019, 10:14:07 AM
Saw the beveled lip in the pic. I would just be a little concerned about fluid maybe seeping out from around the plastic over time.

Not very likely as the hose and primary case is under a slight negative pressure.
The hose is pretty soft

:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Xyzzy

Quote from: Xyzzy on July 19, 2019, 05:11:16 AM
So I took the bike 370 miles yesterday after the install and when I checked the transmission this morning the oil was right where it is supposed to be.

I rode 400 miles yesterday. I checked the oil again this morning. It hasn't moved!

At this point I consider it a done deal.

:wink:

Buglet

Just had a new 19 from dealer come in, it has the vent in the primary all ready in it.

IronButt70

Quote from: BUGLET on July 23, 2019, 03:07:44 PM
    Just had a new 19 from dealer come in, it has the vent in the primary all ready in it.
Dealer or factory installed?

Buglet

Knowing the dealer I would said that is the way it came from the factory. But without being there I can say 100%.

Xyzzy

Quote from: Xyzzy on July 20, 2019, 04:50:17 AM
Quote from: Xyzzy on July 19, 2019, 05:11:16 AM

I rode 400 miles yesterday. I checked the oil again this morning. It hasn't moved!

At this point I consider it a done deal.

:wink:

I rode 625 miles on the interstate yesterday and the oil is still right where it is supposed to be!

:koolaid:

HogMike

Quote from: BUGLET on July 24, 2019, 05:08:20 AM
   Knowing the dealer I would said that is the way it came from the factory. But without being there I can say 100%.

Checked a cvo limited yesterday
Build date of 4/19
No vent hose.
They don't have anything newer on the floor.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Buglet

Build date on this one is 5/19.

SixShooter14

I would be interested in hearing from Tomcat about whether he's received any with the hose pre-installed.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

pendo31

My local dealer said that the new bikes coming in have the vent installed from the factory showing me one that they just received with it.
East Providence, RI

hogpipes1

Well this tells me they H-D finally came out of the denial closet. :gob: