April 27, 2024, 09:37:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2020 CVO Road Glide - Decel Popping

Started by scott7d, May 21, 2023, 11:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott7d

Around New Year I had a new exhaust system installed on my 2020 CVO Road Glide. I went back to a stock system with the cat removed and Fullsac baffles in the mufflers. It has an updated map from Fuel Moto and I planned on getting the bike fully tuned at some point this year. The bike runs great, but a few weeks ago I started getting some aggressive decel popping. For example, when engine braking while coming down from a hill. It sounds like a popcorn maker.

This didn't start happening until about 10,000 miles into having the new exhaust, so it makes me think it doesn't have anything to do with the tune, but rather something physically that has changed. Maybe an intake or exhaust leak. I've still ran several auto tune sessions just in case but those didn't work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd like to get this fixed before taking the bike in for a tune. Thanks!

Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

scott7d

Quote from: Hossamania on May 21, 2023, 03:38:04 PMCheck for exhaust leaks.

Thank you! I'm doing some Googling/YouTubing now on that process and hopefully I'll find a smokin' gun. It's driving me nuts!

Ohio HD

Get a big handful of old bath towels and press them over one or both muffler exists, depends on the exhaust type you have as to the two being connected or not. Then listen for pressure feeding back and escaping somewhere along the exhaust connections. I'd have the exhaust up to operating temperature when doing this.

scott7d

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 21, 2023, 06:04:46 PMGet a big handful of old bath towels and press them over one or both muffler exists, depends on the exhaust type you have as to the two being connected or not. Then listen for pressure feeding back and escaping somewhere along the exhaust connections. I'd have the exhaust up to operating temperature when doing this.

I can definitely get some help with that from a neighbor. The exhaust is the standard/stock 2-1-2 design with crossover. I'll give both methods a try. Thanks!

Ohio HD

Oh and if all else fails, at least check the exhaust flange nuts at the head connection. They should be 110 ~ 120 inch pounds of torque. They can get loose over time. Do this with the motor cold.