March 28, 2024, 05:04:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch hub

Started by oldster, March 17, 2017, 05:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldster

what holds the spring studs into the clutch hub, i have one that spins when i try to adjust it

58Tin

the studs go thru the hub and are peened over on the rear of the hub

oldster

58Tin

no problem-should be an easy fix. I have the Jims tool #1002 that clamps into a vise and you put the stud into that you are working on

FSG

2017FLHTK

Gents,

It appears that Jims has discontinued tool #1002 (there's nothing with that part number on the Jims website and I can't find reference to it anywhere else). 

58Tin, any chance you still have the paper instruction sheet that came with your Jims 1002 tool?

58Tin

no instruction sheet but tool just gets clamped in a vise and you insert one of the clutch hub studs and than place the the clutch hub over the stud [attach=0]
then just peen over the portion of the stud that protrudes out the back of the hub

crock

I have seen them spot welded after peeing as well
Crock

kd

It shouldn't be necessary and personally, I wouldn't do it.  Slip the fiber discs on the studs with springs and nuts on the ones that don't spin. Use new if you have them.  Turn the hub over so the discs are riding on the shaft section, preferably contacting where there is no wear from the discs. Support it on a piece of hardwood.  Use a center punch and with good crisp blows, dimple it out to tighten the fit then re-peen that. It should be then secure. 

Not really what you are asking but while it is off, if the studs show deep or excessive grooving from the discs, this may be a good time to change all of the studs.  You don't really need the tool once you have done one manually.  I never did have a tool.  I used to change my studs pretty well annually because I beat on the bike so hard the studs' would groove up pretty bad.  If the fiber disc stud holes are elongated, I have peened the ends of the holes back to a round shape to get more life out of them.

KD

2017FLHTK

Quote from: 58Tin on February 26, 2021, 01:11:52 PM
no instruction sheet but tool just gets clamped in a vise and you insert one of the clutch hub studs and than place the the clutch hub over the stud

I can't find a Jims 1002 tool for sale, so I ordered a different version off Amazon.  However, I'm not sure what the deal is (no instructions provided).  This is the only paperwork that came with the tool:

One end of the tool has hole drilled in it.  The interior of the hole is threaded 3/8-24:

However, when you try and insert a clutch hub stud into the hole at the end of tool, it only goes inside approx 0.75" before it hits the shoulder on the stud and can't seat any deeper:

The threaded hole goes down for almost two inches inside the tool, so clearly something is meant to insert deeper:

The clutch hub stud is threaded 5/16-24

I tried calling the phone number on the sheet, but "Filmtech" says they don't make that tool (they only make plastic laminate sheeting).  When I looked on the box, this was printed on the end:

Googling "NCT5678" brings up a bunch of references to this tool from online vendors, such as this:

I could only find "Northcoast Tool" on google, and when I called over to them they said that they don't make this tool (they do high end custom work, not mass production tools / parts).

I feel like either I'm missing something with this tool, or it's some weird scam part that was injected in to discount tool vendor's supply chain.  Any input?

58Tin

the hole in the Jims tool is 2.5 inches deep with the first 1.25 inches .375 wide   -the bottom 1.25 has what  looks like a sleeve  inserted to narrow down the diameter of the hole allowing the shoulder of the threaded studs to rest on it  [attach=0,msg1379481] 

58Tin

No threads in this tool--   plain stud-- [attach=0,msg1379483] 

58Tin

and threaded [attach=0]

2017FLHTK

Quote from: 58Tin on February 27, 2021, 01:53:53 PM
the hole in the Jims tool is 2.5 inches deep with the first 1.25 inches .375 wide   -the bottom 1.25 has what  looks like a sleeve  inserted to narrow down the diameter of the hole allowing the shoulder of the threaded studs to rest on it 

Yeah, that makes total sense to me and was what I envisioned how the tool would be used when I ordered it.  I get the concept that the tool is supposed to act as a jig to hold the studs / pins straight and true so that you can peen the end over once it's inserted in the clutch hub assembly. I just can't figure out how the tool I have helps me do that. I ordered this tool to ensure I did the job properly, but it doesn't seem to be useful.  I still don't understand what the threaded portion is for.

kd

The cross section width of each of the threads that are screwed into the tool, when combined in total, equals more than the width of the stud and therefore provides sufficient support enough to not cause damage to the stud or threads during peening.  The other tool simply uses the shoulder of the stud for support. Not that I am recommending you to do this but if you had a long nut such as is used to join 2 pieces of threaded rod together and installed it on the stud threads full depth (no deeper than flush to the end) you could do the same thing as the first threaded tool. The challenge would be supporting it on a solid base while you performed the peening operation. That is the benefit of the tool.  It uses the vice for support and frees up your hands to peen the end.
KD

FSG

Instruction Sheet For #1002

click =>