March 28, 2024, 11:48:15 AM

News:

speakers

Started by 04efidynasuperglide, March 29, 2017, 01:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04efidynasuperglide

site, just got a 17 RGS.  Want to upgrade speakers in fairing, please make some recommendations to me. thanks
chieffie

phillyfan

Budget? Just speakers? Amp?
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

04efidynasuperglide

just looking to upgrade speakers , the stock are ones not bad.  will it help to change speakers and nothing else ?
chieffie

Hossamania

Speakers would help, but an amp and speakers would help a lot more if you are going for better quality at volume. The stock radio only pushes so much power, and better speakers won't help a bunch at higher volumes. The amp is what helps the speakers.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

04efidynasuperglide

so, what kind of amp, don't want extreme ,,  does the bike come with amp?   plug and play ??

I'm a newbee on the fairing stuff.   thanks
chieffie

Hossamania

At this point I have to bow out, as I have no knowledge of the system in your bike.
I know Biketronics makes some very nice stuff, you may want to contact them.
I'm sure others here will chime in with better info.

76shuvlinoff

I upgraded the speakers in my 12 EG. It's "ok" but pretty sure I need an amp now.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dwjohnson

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 31, 2017, 08:36:55 PM
I upgraded the speakers in my 12 EG. It's "ok" but pretty sure I need an amp now.
Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2017, 01:52:28 PM
Speakers would help, but an amp and speakers would help a lot more if you are going for better quality at volume. The stock radio only pushes so much power, and better speakers won't help a bunch at higher volumes. The amp is what helps the speakers.

Hi, I found these two answers I think to my question but wanted to clarify for certainty.
I feel I need better speakers for my 2011 Limited with stock audio system including rear tour pack speaker setup. My problem is I seem to have plenty of volume but the speakers start to distort/static/cutout badly from about half volume and up.  Am I understanding this correctly, even though it seems the speakers are overloading, it's actually needing more volume from an amp? Thanks for any help

Leed

Quote from: dwjohnson on September 14, 2019, 07:15:06 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 31, 2017, 08:36:55 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 31, 2017, 01:52:28 PM

Hi, I found these two answers I think to my question but wanted to clarify for certainty.
I feel I need better speakers for my 2011 Limited with stock audio system including rear tour pack speaker setup. My problem is I seem to have plenty of volume but the speakers start to distort/static/cutout badly from about half volume and up.  Am I understanding this correctly, even though it seems the speakers are overloading, it's actually needing more volume from an amp? Thanks for any help

Sounds like you've got it right.  I put new speakers in my 09 EG and they helped but still couldn't hear them on the highway without distortion.  I put a new head unit with matching amp (Alpine) and I can hear the radio clearly at 80mph with a lot of volume still available.

Hossamania

Quote from: 04efidynasuperglide on March 31, 2017, 03:19:41 PM
does the bike come with amp?   

I'm a newbee on the fairing stuff.   thanks

No, the bike does not come stock with an amp.
There was s quite a bit of info about audio options on this site, peruse this section, you'll find some answers.

Rockout Rocker Products

Be forewarned that with very few exceptions, adding an amp will cost you most if not all of your FM reception.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

rigidthumper

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 20, 2019, 05:44:39 AM
Be forewarned that with very few exceptions, adding an amp will cost you most if not all of your FM reception.

Any theories as to why that happens?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rockout Rocker Products

Only hearsay & experience with a couple of amps.... "class D" amps generate electrical interference that screws with FM. In cars it's not such a big deal 'cause the amp & antenna are a fair distance from the radio. Typical bike installation has the amp bolted or stuck right to the radio.

Leed

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 20, 2019, 05:44:39 AM

I didn't find that happening but maybe because it the head unit and amp were a matched set.  I don't remember the classification of the amp though.

calif phil

HogTunes amps were designed to keep the FM reception.  They spent quite a bit of time and money on this. 

Wild Boar Class D amp with R.E.M.I.T. Exclusive to Powersports Audio Brands!
Reduced EMI Technology (R.E.M.I.T.) gives superb FM reception from a class D amp

Rockout Rocker Products

As I recall it's the switching power supply in most amps that cause the issue. Some, like the Rockford Fosgate PBR series amps use "boosted rail" power supplies instead & don't suffer the problem.

Again, it's not an issue in cars because the amp is typically mounted in the trunk, far away from the head unit.

A very common setup for Harleys is an RF PBR300 2 channel amp along with Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers. The setup will be under $350 complete.  I ran it & was very happy. But, I ended up wanting 4 channel & went to a Biketronics setup.

Langwilliams

the infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers with a Cerwin Vega B 52 amp an a biketronics line leveler is a nice budget 2 speaker system. I had this set up an it sounded great for under $400. Turn the auto volume control off. I didn't an it shortened the life of the amp. I tried the NVX amp an it gives me interference on the FM stations. The B 52 didn't. Hog Tunes, Rokker an Boom try to sell their stuff saying it's "plug an play" but you can pretty much do anything plug an play. The line leveler makes connections easy an no cutting required. It's a little different for the road glide since the fairing area is smaller an different for mounting the amp an sometimes you have to either trim or use a heat gun to reshape the speaker pods for some speakers to fit. When if finally blow up my infinity speakers I'm going to try MMats which are a little more but right now have a great rep for kicking out the sound at a fair price.